• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

really cheap used car?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone have suggestions? I want to spend as little money as possible (like < 2k). I am going to get the cheapest insurance required by law. I'm getting a dog and the only reason I need a car is to drive the dog to and from training a couple times per week. That is the only thing I'll use it for. I'm estimating the drive will be about 30 minutes each way. I don't like city driving and I'm going to use public transit for everything else. I don't care if it dies in a year. I don't want to take any financing until i find a new job. When I do find one, I might or might not get something nicer but until then I really don't care.

Does anyone have recs for high mileage cars? Other than noting that I should make sure that I get the car before handing over teh ca$h? What about an old mercedez or volvo? I've heard these last forever? I'm also seeing some stuff like late 90s chevrolers for 1000 with 180k km on it. Is there a site that tells when makes/models typcially start to fail in a massive way? thx.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Considered it, but no. The training sessions are quite long. It would cost me $100/wk with zipcar on their best plan. Actually, gonna do some more math though. Need to figure out what insurance costs on a beater with no collision.

edit: ok wow. $2500/yr for insurance of a 1994 honda civic @ just over $200/mo with no collision? does that sound off to anyone else (never had car insurace but did have house insurance before)? Looks like zipcar IS the best option based on insurance cost if I assume a cheap car will only last me a year. And the difference otherwise is negligible. It's better from a cash flow perspective too. Zipcar it is unless someone tells me i can get much better insurance rates from a broker than the online quoting tool.

ms244

Reaction score
Cop car Crown Vic at an auction, figure $2500-3K would get you a really nice one, 2003 or thereabouts.

Don't get a black and white, see if you can find a detective car. Unmarked with no holes drilled in the roof or truck for accessories.

Look for local and state auctions around your area, thats where they usually sell them.

jkennett

Reaction score
Volvo 240.

two years ago my bro bought an '85 with 375,000 miles for $375.00 and drove it for over a year every day as a commuter and then sold it for profit. it's now owned by a friends younger brother and still runs to this day. 400k+ miles

+ plus the car is roomy as hell for the dog. trunk is enormous too.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
ok wow. $2500/yr for insurance of a 1994 honda civic @ just over $200/mo with no collision?

No surprise, the problem is the Honda appeals to the FATF demographic - the cars are wrecked more, and stolen/stripped more. Rates on the S2000 are going up because Civic owners are breaking into them to steal the seats.
facepalm.gif

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ms244
Cop car Crown Vic at an auction, figure $2500-3K would get you a really nice one, 2003 or thereabouts.

Don't get a black and white, see if you can find a detective car. Unmarked with no holes drilled in the roof or truck for accessories.

Look for local and state auctions around your area, thats where they usually sell them.

yup

police crown vic, old volvo, old s-class, etc...

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Considered it, but no. The training sessions are quite long. It would cost me $100/wk with zipcar on their best plan. Actually, gonna do some more math though. Need to figure out what insurance costs on a beater with no collision. edit: ok wow. $2500/yr for insurance of a 1994 honda civic @ just over $200/mo with no collision? does that sound off to anyone else (never had car insurace but did have house insurance before)? Looks like zipcar IS the best option based on insurance cost if I assume a cheap car will only last me a year. And the difference otherwise is negligible. It's better from a cash flow perspective too. Zipcar it is unless someone tells me i can get much better insurance rates from a broker than the online quoting tool.
I don't know QC, but out here if you're under 25 and have never had insurance, it's very expensive, certainly close to what you're paying. Check with a broker who sells Wawanesa, they've been good for me. But yes, it's pricey. Or move to SK, where they have government insurance which is cheap as borscht. Also, if you want to drive out here, I have a '94 Jetta I'll let you take for $1500, or a '91 Passat for $1200 with summer and winter wheels. Both will make it about a year before they crater.
bigstar[1].gif
Edit - Just read something that inferred that you were considering getting theft - obviously, don't. You just need PL/PD. I didn't have theft or collision until I was 26 (which I am now as a matter of fact).

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2500 Canadian dollars is still like five bucks and change in real dollars, right?

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
2500 for insurance is cheap for someone who has no credibility. I know guys paying 4500 for a st00pid civic..with no accidents or tickets!!! I dont even want to know what it will be when i get my new car.
uhoh.gif

Beta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by martijnnum1
a really old fiat

might look into a corolla, should be cheaper to insure than a civic.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epb
No surprise, the problem is the Honda appeals to the FATF demographic - the cars are wrecked more, and stolen/stripped more. Rates on the S2000 are going up because Civic owners are breaking into them to steal the seats.
facepalm.gif

good point. i'll try quoting some different brands.

Originally Posted by unjung
I don't know QC, but out here if you're under 25 and have never had insurance, it's very expensive, certainly close to what you're paying. Check with a broker who sells Wawanesa, they've been good for me. But yes, it's pricey. Or move to SK, where they have government insurance which is cheap as borscht.

Also, if you want to drive out here, I have a '94 Jetta I'll let you take for $1500, or a '91 Passat for $1200 with summer and winter wheels. Both will make it about a year before they crater.
bigstar[1].gif

Edit - Just read something that inferred that you were considering getting theft - obviously, don't. You just need PL/PD. I didn't have theft or collision until I was 26 (which I am now as a matter of fact).

I'm over 25. I've had 1 ticket but that was over 6 years ago. And I'm not getting theft. I'll check with a broker though.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
I'd second the used Ford Police Interceptor concept. Theyr'e not good on gas but at least you will have plenty of room for the dog.

Originally Posted by martijnnum1
a really old fiat

Fix
It
Again,
Tony

laugh.gif

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean for $5000 your best bet would probably be the best corolla/camry/civic/accord that you can find, probably a late 90s with 100K.

For $1500-3000, I would be looking at a police interceptor, or perhaps some other american car, some of those old buicks and oldsmobiles are underpriced yet simple, reliable, and cheap to maintain.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Haven't called a broker yet but i've got it down to 1700-1800/yr on things like an old mercedes or volvo.

edit:Then again, with zipcar I just realized that gas is included in the hourly rate, so my new calculations show that it would be cheaper in the first year assuming no repairs are required on an owned vehicle.

zipcar: 348
owned (purchased for $2k/12 + 150/mo insurance + 30/wk gas, no repairs):413

Beyond the first year on an old car like this it's probably a poor assumption that you won't have any repairs, but you've paid for the car at that point so it balances out, maybe in favor of saving a bit.

I'm leaning towards zipcar. No upfront costs and it's cheaper for the first year (when it matters).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads