• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Really Annoying Thing About Blu-ray

blairh

Reaction score
So I just got my first Blu-ray player. I bought an HDTV for my bedroom a few months back and figured it was time to take in some awesome movie action too.

Got my BD (Blu-ray disc) player yesterday and have been messing around with it. After some research online last night and today I learned that BD players cannot resume a BD if they are playing a format called "Blu-Ray Java". Turns out most new releases are BR-J.

This really ******* sucks if say, you want to stop a movie and watch the rest the following day. Once you shut off the BD player the movie automatically starts from the main menu screen upon restart.

There is this thing called "bookmarking" where you can restart from a specific scene but not all BR-J's enable said feature and you still have to go through the previews and start up screen to access it.

This. *******. Blows. After 10 years of watching DVDs and taking auto restart for granted (and assuming it would be a part of my home movie viewing for the rest of time) I now have to deal with this bullshit. I contemplated just going back to DVD but once you've seen the awesome quality of BD's I think it would be a major step down. But the ******* auto start thing........
ffffuuuu.gif

Curious to know what the SF community feels about this. I'm assuming quite a lot of you have BD players.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Meh. I almost never start a movie and don't finish it so it's a non-issue for me. Just put the disc in, go get your snacks/drinks, and when you come back you'll be through most of the nag screens. There only screens you can't skip are the FBI warnings. The previews are annoying but skipping them takes a few seconds... It's not even closet to a deal-breaker for me. I can barely tolerate watching DVDs anymore. The quality is horrible on a really large screen, even with upscaling.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a PS3 for bluray and it ALWAYS resumes where I tuned out from.

blairh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Meh. I almost never start a movie and don't finish it so it's a non-issue for me. Just put the disc in, go get your snacks/drinks, and when you come back you'll be through most of the nag screens. There only screens you can't skip are the FBI warnings. The previews are annoying but skipping them takes a few seconds... It's not even closet to a deal-breaker for me. I can barely tolerate watching DVDs anymore. The quality is horrible on a really large screen, even with upscaling.
I tend to watch films before bed when I've done everything else (gym, work, dinner, gf/out). I tried to squeeze in half a movie before bed and the remainder the next night. Now I have to either write down where I've left off time wise or configure my schedule to take in the entire movie in one sitting.
ffffuuuu.gif
"I use a PS3 for bluray and it ALWAYS resumes where I tuned out from." If you shut off your PS3 it cannot resume playing a Blu-ray-Java disc unless you have specifically bookmarked a scene with your PS3.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crank started from the beginning unlike other blurays I have.... You're right. Still not a big deal to me.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess I'm lucky for having never experienced HD. I have a 720p HDTV or some ****, but it's got composite cables plugged into it. Looks great to me.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Personally I will never watch a movie if I don't have time to get through it. The instances where I'm unexpectedly interrupted in the middle of movie-watching are few and far between. I never really made use of the DVD feature when I was using DVDs.

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
blairh, why not just watch an episode or 2 of a TV show instead if you know you can't sit through a whole movie?

blairh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by willy cheesesteak
blairh, why not just watch an episode or 2 of a TV show instead if you know you can't sit through a whole movie?

I don't watch much TV. Mad Men, The Soup, PTI, 30 Rock, Archer, Metalocalypse, and Entourage. All get DVR'd and watched when it's convenient for me. But now that I'm doing Netflix BD rentals I'm tempted to watch a film (or half of it) before bed.

I'll figure something out. It is a step back technology wise that it simply doesn't restart (with respect to BR-J discs). I just never thought auto resume wouldn't be a part of my movie viewing experience after having it the past 12 years on my DVD player.

"Is the inability to start where left off on BD-J discs something that can be fixed and updated on the PS3? I would think it could be programmed..."

It has nothing to do with the player and everything to do with the disc themselves. Hopefully BR-J will eventually allow for auto resume down the road, or future BD players will figure out a way to incorporate it. Even a bookmark on a current BR-J forces you to load the disc, FF through any previews, and queue up the bookmark.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I believe the inability of a given BD-J disc to resume is due to the way that particular disc is authored and isn't necessarily due to the player.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not much sucks about blu ray on my 60" led
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads