1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

RATE: Summer Street Fashion in Daikanyama, JAPAN

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by op2, Aug 15, 2007.

1. op2

op2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Saw this today on Style Arena.

Personally, I love almost every part of this outfit except the sunglasses choice. The tie looks wicked contrast with the slim fitting pique henley/thermal.
    Thoughts??

2. Rome

Rome Well-Known Member

Yea to the following:
    Longsleave shirt, light gray trousers, and sandals.

Nay to the following:
    Ladies wig, ladies purse, ladies sunglasses, tie.

3. Lel

Lel Well-Known Member

Such a Japanese look that only the Japanese could pull off.

At first I thought the top half was one really wicked fitted cardigan, but it's not. Despite the tacky flip flops, tie (without a collared shirt!?), and chick purse, it just works.

Of course, there's no way anyone could pull that off walking down any U.S. streets (unless they Americanize the look).

4. Tarmac

Tarmac Well-Known Member

I dont like the tie as it has absolutely no purpose. you could argue it has a negative purpose - it's probably very warm and it would only get sweaty around your neck.

other than that, rock on.

5. PG2G

PG2G Well-Known Member

Would definitely look better without the tie...

6. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Well-Known Member

Such a Japanese look that only the Japanese could pull off.

At first I thought the top half was one really wicked fitted cardigan, but it's not. Despite the tacky flip flops, tie (without a collared shirt!?), and chick purse, it just works.

Of course, there's no way anyone could pull that off walking down any U.S. streets (unless they Americanize the look).

Sans tie, glasses, and bag, this would definitely work in NYC.

7. Ispy

Ispy Well-Known Member

Seriously, where is this dude going. The beach? The office? Kinda looks like he just woke up and threw the tie on his jammies. (OK, actually I like the shirt and pants with the sandals. The bag and tie just totally throw me off)

8. op2

op2 Well-Known Member

What's with all the hatred on the murse?
    I mean man purses are pretty stupid, but this is actually a stylish one.

9. GoSurface

GoSurface Well-Known Member

Love it. And that's not a wig. His hair is naturally that fabulous. [​IMG]

10. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Dude's an idiot.

11. Garage/Surf Rock

Garage/Surf Rock Well-Known Member

Too fussy/trendy for men's fashion. Not digging the high school facial hair either.

12. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I think the bag is odd. I also don't like to see people in nice dress pants wearing flip flops, that too just seems odd to me.

All that being said,I couldn't pull the look off.

Kudos to you random internet stranger.

13. stickonatree

stickonatree Well-Known Member

the bag is current japanese fashion. of course if you bring this look to an american site, it will throw people off.

14. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

I'd wear the outfit (black shirt, grey pants and even sandals) without the purse, tie and pink button. I don't have a problem with the sandals in that ouftit as it seems to work for some reason. Obviously, if i lived in new york/boston/chicago i would opt for shoes for sanitary reasons, but i think they go well with the outfit. Sure, it's a bit odd, but i don't think it's visually offensive or anything. Not everything has to be the ol' standard tried and true. I don't agree with sandals for the most part in actual fashion, but i don't have a problem with them there.

15. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Well-Known Member

Comes across as way too in my opinion.

16. waitwhat

waitwhat Active Member

Are those grey microfiber pants in the picture?

17. berlin report

berlin report Well-Known Member

Its the sunglassses that bother me the most. He could get away with the tie although I still think the idea is silly. There's just too much effort overall although the pieces are all good individually. Too much of a good thing, in other words. I'd probably ask him: Was there a point, when you were getting dressed, when you said to yourself: "thats enough"? Not to be a bore but I think part of the fine art of dressing to be noticed is knowing when to stop. Just my 20 euro cents.

18. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Well-Known Member

As others have said, it's a very Japanese look that I don't think has filtered outside its shores yet (and maybe it never will). Walking around any major Japanese city, you'd see any fifty guys wearing something similar, with varying degrees of success.

Though I also agree that I could never wear this in a million years, what I like about Japanese youth culture and especially their take on fashion is that they are completely unconcerned with the "rules" that we around these parts take so seriously. They might match a pair of military cargoes with a navy Borrelli jacket, a pair of Vivienne Westwood shoes with toes so pointy they could cut glass, a pink tank top, and a Kiton seven fold tie... and somehow look okay in it.

Nevertheless, one shouldn't say that being "Unconcerned" with the rules equates being ignorant of them, as some of the major trad companies are either owned (J PRess, for example) by Japanese companies or wildly popular there (Alden, BB). Not to mention that Japanese men's fashion magazines leave ours in the dust (Men's Ex or Uomo or Leon vs. GQ or Details? NO thanks...) A lot of these kids know the rules... they just don't care or, more aptly, they modify them to do what they want (lots of discussions with my college students have confirmed this... they know a lot more about fashion than their typical American counterparts).

Nevertheless, there is a freedom of dress and a freedom for men to accessorize with bags that we just don't have. I have a lot of man-purses from my time in Japan... wonderful things made from lots of exotic animals (j/k)... and now that I'm back in the USA, they just sit in my closet and wait until I go back to Tokyo each summer.

19. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Well-Known Member

I think this individual enjoys fashion, likes to dress up or down, and understands the importance of color, rhythm and proportion. The red rims on his glasses are striking.