• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
Yeah, I do a set of 3x10 hammer curls for my forearms, but other then that I don't do any dedicated arm exercises. I do 3x10 sets of bench press, dead lift and bent over row every other day and the other days I do 3x10 sets of close grip bench press, over head press and hammer curls the other days so I figure that does my arms enough.

sweet that sounds fine. But where's the squats?

amnesiac

Reaction score
I'm done with distance running. I didn't like it when I did track (100, 200, 400) and I didn't like it when I did crew. I've tried it, I've run 5ks but even 3 miles bores the crap out of me.

All I've done the last 2 weeks was
3 days a week
200m 90% sprint -> 200m 5k-10k pace jog run
3-5 minutes rest
repeat 6 times

or throw in some 400m sprints and some 100m/100m jog.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
God I hate HIIT... I've been trying to give it some love, but lately I'm thinking it just not might be my cup of tea.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
sweet that sounds fine. But where's the squats?

I've been doing them sporadically, but I don't have a squat rack because I work out at home so I just have to hold the bar over my biceps, which is pretty awkward and really strains my arms. I'll eventually join a gym, its getting annoying buying plates every couple of weeks and the gym at my sixth form is only $15 for the year.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
I've been doing them sporadically, but I don't have a squat rack because I work out at home so I just have to hold the bar over my biceps, which is pretty awkward and really strains my arms. I'll eventually join a gym, its getting annoying buying plates every couple of weeks and the gym at my sixth form is only $15 for the year.

Learn to clean and front squat.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
Hard to beat the recession whey blends from what I know - I remember paying ~$150 for 25lbs of iso/concentrate, which is a steal if you have to buy protein in Canada. $75 for 5lb of ON? No thanks.

Canada's a whole different ballgame as you well know- you guys get raped on supp prices.

The blends I typically get run higher than $10 a pound. For general purposes I keep around a box of Scivation which I get 10lbs for about $55-60.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
I'm a big supporter of Dante and their work at true protein but their protein is far from the "cheapest".

Is there a cheaper $/lb for a protein blend? The recession whey prices are some of the cheapest I have found.. maybe I have not looked hard enough. I used to get my protein from All The Whey and Trueprotein seems to be significantly cheaper.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrH
God I hate HIIT... I've been trying to give it some love, but lately I'm thinking it just not might be my cup of tea.

HIIT is supposed to feel like you're going to die... you don't have to love it, just have to suck it up and do it.
smile.gif

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting how breaks from the gym work.... I was away from the gym (and pretty much all physical activity) for 10 days due to holiday travel with the kids, relatives visiting, etc..... felt like a turd by the end of the time off and fairly convinced that I'd lay an egg in my first workout back. And what happens? Felt stronger than ever and set a PR on the seated DB shoulder press...
satisfied.gif

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Interesting how breaks from the gym work.... I was away from the gym (and pretty much all physical activity) for 10 days due to holiday travel with the kids, relatives visiting, etc..... felt like a turd by the end of the time off and fairly convinced that I'd lay an egg in my first workout back.

And what happens? Felt stronger than ever and set a PR on the seated DB shoulder press...
satisfied.gif

Yeah, deloading works wonders. I tend to be a bit of a gym rat myself, so I've noticed the same thing when I've been out of the gym for a while.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Is there a cheaper $/lb for a protein blend? The recession whey prices are some of the cheapest I have found.. maybe I have not looked hard enough. I used to get my protein from All The Whey and Trueprotein seems to be significantly cheaper.

At 25lbs that's about $5.60 per which in this day and age is pretty competitive. That's about what I pay for SciVation. So for that blend if you are buying 25-50lbs, a good deal. Earlier I was referring to the custom blends.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
any cheap good tasting casein recs? I've tried ON and ISS so far. Liked both, but pricey Tried 1 RM today and got 265 on full squats, 205 for deadlifts, and 165 for bench press. -_-; pathetic i know. This is going to sound very
facepalm.gif
but, will squats give me thicker legs? I've heard the typical high rep gives thinner low rep more load gives thicker legs, but i have no idea how true that is. 1) i'd like to be lighter (but stronger) cuz I pop and I want to be better at basketball. less mass = easier maneuverability. 2) i don't want to revamp wardrobe. Also, I like the slim aesthetic. Trying to get to sub 10 to see if that will help. Tuesday will be 5th of strict RFL with the leansguide IF, which has been on point so far. hunger pangs are kind of a nice feel from what i'm used to.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Man, I'm always torn between looking awesome naked/wearing casual clothes, and looking good in nice clothes. Nobody ***** with you when you're jacked, but my shirts busting at the seams isn't good either. I've discovered the happy middle ground is to drop a bit of mass and carry an ASP baton.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took a week off to let a small shoulder injury heal. Now i just feel skinny fat.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
If you feel skinny fat after a week, it means you aren't eating enough protein and putting in the effort at the gym yet. Let that motivate you to stick with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads