• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

(i) It's an odd situation. A lot of (married) women I know comment about how they like particular things I happen to wear, or that they like my style, but the men usually either glare and say nothing or crack jokes. In all, I think many women appreciate a guy who can dress at least fairly well, but any women whom I've dated senses a bit of competition. One woman would get downright angry when she perceived me to 'outdress' her when going to a party, while another would periodically break down and cry because she thought I had nicer clothes than she did.
(ii) Doesn't make any sense to me. In many species, it's the male that advertises to the female, but with people, it seems the other way around. Maybe we've been culturally conditioned for women to be the 'visual prize'?
(iii) One girlfriend thought I wore 'interesting' jeans. Like I've said, with infrequent exception, I think many women might say the like a guy to dress well, but in the end feel threatened by him if he does. Any girlfriends who knew what I spent on clothes thought I was crazy.
(iv) No. Maybe that's why I'm single at the moment.

(i) I've never had a girl treat it as "competition", at least that I'm aware of. Usually the women I've dated will say nothing, or what's the most common - they'll occasionally comment how they like the fit or texture of a given item.

(iii) this is why I tend to avoid saying how much I spend on clothes, I usually just say something vague, or if I do insinuate that something cost $$$ I'll point out that I'm a guy so I buy less pieces and can throw down more on a single given item

... also, and it may be an age thing (though I'm not quite that young anymore) but most women, even successful ones that earn a good amount (50-100k), don't seem to spend very much on clothes. Most, including the one I'm dating now... if they care about clothes will still mostly buy H&M, etc. It seems like women that care about clothes either go with H&M/zara/F21/other-cheap-stuff, or they're the type that drops 1k+ on handbags with obvious branding ... I never see women that buy the female equivalent of the mid-range brands most of us on SF buy. The one exception being footwear, I've known a few women that would invest a decent amount in a nice pair of boots.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Rule #1 of styfo club is never discuss prices with outsiders no matter what.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Rule #1 of styfo club is never discuss prices with outsiders no matter what.

"Lookin' at my feet, these shoes they ain't Nike / Man, don't even ask, ooo them things pricey." - Cam'ron

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's 140 new posts in the ToJ thread since I last checked yesterday. Is it something worthwhile or is it just more of Woodyear embarrassing the black community?

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's 140 new posts in the ToJ thread since I last checked yesterday. Is it something worthwhile or is it just more of Woodyear embarrassing the black community?

This sort of thing makes me wonder how anyone keeps up with the threads over in MC... over there threads will gain 15 new pages in like 45 min. At least over here you can go away for a day or so and threads won't have lengthened 30 pages in your absence.

eternaldrake

Reaction score

just a bunch of dumb **** mostly. worth skimming through for drews posts though, he made some long/interesting ones

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hilarious how dus in alden thread take pics of their shoes as soon as they try on but before they walk in them for the big ass creases to appear :lol:

They also collectively need a different angle from which they take photos of their shoes.

I like i and iv lol.

The second woman I mentioned also once told me that she wished I got as excited about her as I did about visiting Self Edge.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Come on Z you should convey your enthusiasm in the act of breaking her off, I never tire of it.

AP, nobody actually reads the posts (at least in mc) so they just repeat the same comments/questions over and over again.

Last edited:

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found that the girls I've dated who actually dress really well don't mind my interest in clothes or the amount I spend. They can empathize.

When it comes to gaming on girls at parties or out and about, it's really a mixed bag. There are women that will just be like "gay" or "what an idiot" and then there are girls that will seek you out just because you're dressed better than your male counterparts.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is *******, wear what you like and make sure you feel good wearing it. That's the real trick

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, hate to blow up a potential spot, but I need your guy's advice on the legitimacy of this site: http://www.gaedz.com/

Prices are 10-40% lower at retail than other sites...but it looks like they ripped errythang from Revolve, including photos. And their about me is a bunch of garbledegook and they have yet to respond to my email. Y/N?

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my ex wore Ann D and balenciaga, Lanvin dresses etc. She liked that i wore decent jeans/blazers/fitted leathers etc. Yet when i took her into the 'mens superbrands' room at selfridges the first thing she said was 'no woman wants a man who is into this stuff'.

Last edited:

transient

Reaction score
I think women just want someone who is naturally excellent at things like providing, protecting, and being handsome. They don't care about seeing how the sausage gets made. They'd rather not know what kind of work goes into providing that illusion.

But seriously guys, you shouldn't talk about the fight club. As far as I'm concerned all this just happens by itself in the morning.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think girls are sometimes intimidated by you dressing well also, cuz they think you might be snobby and pretentious.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i've only ever had experience with it being viewed as simultaneously 'weird' and 'competition,' so there's another vote for that (you're wearing a blazer? damnit, what am I supposed to wear?)

transient, i think you've sig'd my best post of all time on sf.

:foo:

I think girls are sometimes intimidated by you dressing well also, cuz they think you might be snobby and pretentious.

Oh, also this. But it's pretty accurate, so i guess that's fair?

Last edited:

vaalbara

Reaction score
apparently i'm going to a cambridge university formal dinner next weekend, and i have no idea what to wear. i don't suppose there's a suiting 101 thread on sf anywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads