Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. APK

APK Senior member

Was drinking with a girl last night who dresses really well, but said that almost all boots look bad on guys. :uhoh:

I'd like to think that's a perception formed from seeing most guys around here think boots can only = Doc Martens.

edit: and I think that kind of relates to the above discussion. Most girls I've known seem to want a guy who doesn't look like he just rolled out of a bed full of empty pizza boxes, but they don't like to feel like the guy is high maintenance about what he wears (i.e. posting on Styleforum). "Effortless style," I guess, as much as I want to drink a bucket of paint because I just typed that phrase.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

2. snake

snake Senior member

Show her the baller boot thread.

3. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

4. Meis

Meis Senior member

(i) I've never had a girl treat it as "competition", at least that I'm aware of. Usually the women I've dated will say nothing, or what's the most common - they'll occasionally comment how they like the fit or texture of a given item.

(iii) this is why I tend to avoid saying how much I spend on clothes, I usually just say something vague, or if I do insinuate that something cost $$$ I'll point out that I'm a guy so I buy less pieces and can throw down more on a single given item

... also, and it may be an age thing (though I'm not quite that young anymore) but most women, even successful ones that earn a good amount (50-100k), don't seem to spend very much on clothes. Most, including the one I'm dating now... if they care about clothes will still mostly buy H&M, etc. It seems like women that care about clothes either go with H&M/zara/F21/other-cheap-stuff, or they're the type that drops 1k+ on handbags with obvious branding ... I never see women that buy the female equivalent of the mid-range brands most of us on SF buy. The one exception being footwear, I've known a few women that would invest a decent amount in a nice pair of boots.

5. jet

jet Persian Bro

Rule #1 of styfo club is never discuss prices with outsiders no matter what.

6. APK

APK Senior member

"Lookin' at my feet, these shoes they ain't Nike / Man, don't even ask, ooo them things pricey." - Cam'ron

7. APK

APK Senior member

There's 140 new posts in the ToJ thread since I last checked yesterday. Is it something worthwhile or is it just more of Woodyear embarrassing the black community?

8. Meis

Meis Senior member

This sort of thing makes me wonder how anyone keeps up with the threads over in MC... over there threads will gain 15 new pages in like 45 min. At least over here you can go away for a day or so and threads won't have lengthened 30 pages in your absence.

9. eternaldrake

eternaldrake Senior member

just a bunch of dumb shit mostly. worth skimming through for drews posts though, he made some long/interesting ones

10. zissou

zissou Senior member

They also collectively need a different angle from which they take photos of their shoes.

The second woman I mentioned also once told me that she wished I got as excited about her as I did about visiting Self Edge.

11. jet

jet Persian Bro

Come on Z you should convey your enthusiasm in the act of breaking her off, I never tire of it.

AP, nobody actually reads the posts (at least in mc) so they just repeat the same comments/questions over and over again.

12. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

I've found that the girls I've dated who actually dress really well don't mind my interest in clothes or the amount I spend. They can empathize.

When it comes to gaming on girls at parties or out and about, it's really a mixed bag. There are women that will just be like "gay" or "what an idiot" and then there are girls that will seek you out just because you're dressed better than your male counterparts.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is fuck it, wear what you like and make sure you feel good wearing it. That's the real trick

13. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Also, hate to blow up a potential spot, but I need your guy's advice on the legitimacy of this site: http://www.gaedz.com/

Prices are 10-40% lower at retail than other sites...but it looks like they ripped errythang from Revolve, including photos. And their about me is a bunch of garbledegook and they have yet to respond to my email. Y/N?

14. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

my ex wore Ann D and balenciaga, Lanvin dresses etc. She liked that i wore decent jeans/blazers/fitted leathers etc. Yet when i took her into the 'mens superbrands' room at selfridges the first thing she said was 'no woman wants a man who is into this stuff'.

15. transient

transient Senior member

I think women just want someone who is naturally excellent at things like providing, protecting, and being handsome. They don't care about seeing how the sausage gets made. They'd rather not know what kind of work goes into providing that illusion.

But seriously guys, you shouldn't talk about the fight club. As far as I'm concerned all this just happens by itself in the morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.