• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

apparently i'm going to a cambridge university formal dinner next weekend, and i have no idea what to wear. i don't suppose there's a suiting 101 thread on sf anywhere?

time to get yo trad on

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh, also this. But it's pretty accurate, so i guess that's fair?

even though it might be in a lot of instances, I think its dumb to assume. Its similar to assuming every well-dressed guy is gay.

dwyhajlo

Reaction score
I don't think it's just women, dudes. IME, 99% of all people - male or female - think we're idiotic for talking and obsessing about this stuff so much.

BTW, shah posted a picture from a Givenchy runway show a few days ago; the model was wearing a large gold mask/jewelry type thing. I can't seem to find it again, though. Someone help please.

Last edited:

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the subject was about womens perceptions, though. Also, that is what all who are part of niche hobbys go through. Most people outside of them think they are "idiots" because the time/money spent indulging in said hobby is said to be a worthless endeavor.

Last edited:

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the subject was about womens perceptions, though. Also, that is what all who are part of niche hobbys go through. Most people outside of them think they are "idiots" because the time/money spent indulging in said hobby is said to be a worthless endeavor.

Agreed. Except the advantage of having clothing as a hobby is that it transcends the personal sphere. We actually have something to show for it beyond our own home, which is nice

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

even though it might be in a lot of instances, I think its dumb to assume. Its similar to assuming every well-dressed guy is gay.

Oh, I thought we were talking about what happens when you discuss/care about clothing, not what random strangers think of you on the street.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i avoid talkin about clothes as much as possible nowadays...subject causes mayhem rather quickly regardless of gender.

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eBay customer support is seriously the worst ever. At the risk of sounding like a racist, I hate calling in and speaking to someone who's broken English I can barely make out. After opening a case, they promise to "get back to you in 72 hours" with a resolution of your case. It's been a month now, and still nothing has come of it. Every single time I call in they say the same thing to me: "We've escalated your case to a higher department, and they'll get back to you by the end of the day." ******. **** eBay and **** PayPal.

t4bXJ.png

Last edited:

Dellath

Reaction score
A left field quote, but my interest for professional wrestling gets the almost exact same reaction as my interest for clothes, male or female. So i think this quote is also applicable to clothes.

"To those who believe in the beauty of professional wrestling, nothing needs to be said. For those who don't appreciate wrestling, nothing could be said to change their minds."
~ Vince McMahon

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BTW, shah posted a picture from a Givenchy runway show a few days ago; the model was wearing a large gold mask/jewelry type thing. I can't seem to find it again, though. Someone help please.

this ?

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rule #1 of styfo club is never discuss prices with outsiders no matter what.

cant believe ppl still ask how much stuff costs. tacky on their part

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*shrug* maybe they wonder if something is in their pricerange. If they are actually thinking about purchasing something

edit: honestly I just say "it didn't cost monopoly money." or tell them since I always buy things on final sale/sample sale prices.

Last edited:

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

"To those who believe in the beauty of professional wrestling, nothing needs to be said. For those who don't appreciate wrestling, nothing could be said to change their minds."
~ Vince McMahon

There's merit to that sentiment, but an ironic comment coming from someone who despises pro wrestling as much as Vince McMahon does.

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of you probably won't be into this, but while we're on the topic of talking about clothes, I think this is a pretty worthwhile read.

steviecakes

Reaction score

Agreed. Except the advantage of having clothing as a hobby is that it transcends the personal sphere. We actually have something to show for it beyond our own home, which is nice

The disadvantage is that one may take another's passion for clothing and perceive it as elitism/pretentiousness/snobbery. Having something to show off might give off the vibe that you are a show off. While this may not be true, the average passerby might think so. Just like how people see a dude with 9% body fat and think "What a meathead, I bet he thinks he's better than me", they do the same with a well dressed man. Same goes for Porsche owners, etc. Nobody gives **** to wine connoisseurs because there's no way to know that they are just by looking at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads