Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

^ i agree.

i thought about this at one point. but why dress for someone else really? have fun with what you like, dress to what fits your body and sense of style, and everything else will fall to place. about women, yes there is a degree to which you present yourself, and fashion + styling can and should play a role. but don't go out of your way of dressing to them. dress to what you like. if you find that special spot and know what you like, your personality and confidence will shine. add it altogether, and the bz should be more than attracted. you have to find your own ID, not be someone else'.

2. _yoo

_yoo Senior member

i find myself sympathetic with what you're saying but wouldn't the 'why dress for someone else' argument generalizes to WAYWT as well? i thought most people on sf (at least those who post in waywt) would think that style is at least partly objective..

bolded comment very much agreed though
    inb4 someone says 'not this shit again'

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011

3. bryanayrb

bryanayrb Senior member

well everything is subjective obviously.. i guess my point is that you shouldn't have to change what makes you happy with yourself for other people.

sometimes constructive criticism can be good because it opens up your mind to things you wouldn't have seen yourself. there's very few people in this world with a distinct style anyway.. it's a learning process

not everyone posts in waywt for criticism either. i just like looking at good fits for inspiration. and jawns

also yes nice avvy : )

4. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

not sure if i understand what you're saying.

but from my understanding, you're basically asking what is the point of WAYWT if we are "suppose" to dress for ourselves, and care less about the opinions of others in the community. in which case, WAYWT from my POV is twofold: (1) Learning and (2) Showing off/critiques

But if you think about (2), why do people post daily? Well, for one IMO, I think one has to be pretty comfortable about what they are wearing. They must like their outfit of the day and think it will be of great contribution to the community. From that, you can assume that the member has probably found their niche in the fashion and styling, which connects back to my earlier point that one dresses to what they love and enjoy. once you find your sense of ID, then you can be comfortable enough to 'post' and share. this comes full circle back to (1) where members who share their WAYWT photos contribute to the bigger picture of learning and sharing ideas.

so it is objective so far as to the point of sharing and learning. it is subjective in the sense that you pick and choose what you like to learn.

?? don't know if i made any sense.

5. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

tis the shah, after all [​IMG]

6. zissou

zissou Senior member

(i) It's an odd situation. A lot of (married) women I know comment about how they like particular things I happen to wear, or that they like my style, but the men usually either glare and say nothing or crack jokes. In all, I think many women appreciate a guy who can dress at least fairly well, but any women whom I've dated senses a bit of competition. One woman would get downright angry when she perceived me to 'outdress' her when going to a party, while another would periodically break down and cry because she thought I had nicer clothes than she did.
    (ii) Doesn't make any sense to me. In many species, it's the male that advertises to the female, but with people, it seems the other way around. Maybe we've been culturally conditioned for women to be the 'visual prize'?
    (iii) One girlfriend thought I wore 'interesting' jeans. Like I've said, with infrequent exception, I think many women might say the like a guy to dress well, but in the end feel threatened by him if he does. Any girlfriends who knew what I spent on clothes thought I was crazy.
    (iv) No. Maybe that's why I'm single at the moment.

7. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

^ :nodding:

8. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

just like us, girls have all sorts of varieties of taste and what they're into. that should be apparent. I mean it's anecdotal evidence at best that the "chicks interviewed seem to prefer men to dress simple and clean and not look like he spends a lot of time on clothes". Are these women models so most of their life revolves around clothes? If so, that makes perfect sense.

Think about the alternative: bridge and tunnel types (nationwide, you know what type of people I mean) seek to look like they spend both a lot of time and money on what they wear, and it's anything but "simple and clean" This is why we have such blatantly branded monstrosities like true religion jeans and ed hardy shirts. there are plenty of girls that seek out exactly this, even still.

that said, my anecdotal evidence is that some girls get really into what I wear, and that's fun and all and i have no shame admitting my interest in clothes, even if they don't always "get" it. For the kind of girls i'm genuinely interested in though, I have the best luck in my green junya jacket, a grey shallow v-neck tee, beat up APC's, and boots. It just makes me look like I don't care (and I don't) and that is attractive for whatever reason.

edit: yeah as zissou said, many girls (and women) seem to REALLY hate if if they begin to perceive that you dress better than them or are more "put together" than them. Thankfully I very, very rarely have this problem :alien: Interpret that as you will.

9. jslade

jslade Senior member

Sorry to distract from the conversation at hand, but do you guys know where to buy those tapered Adidas track pants that you see people wearing around the place? I've never been able to find any at a local store, but I know that they exist. At the stores that I've checked out, the pants are either incredibly loose, or skin-tight. I'm just looking for a pair that is loose up top, but tapers down to a pretty narrow hem.

Finally had the sense to just check out the Adidas website, but there are so many similar looking pants, I don't know which one I'm looking for. Does anybody own a pair and know the name of the model?

10. Desi

Desi Senior member

girls be jealous of my MiuMiu's.

Any girl interviewed in the history of fashion interviews always says the same about wanting a man in "jeans and a tshirt". Don't think anyone on this site really cares what those girls think.

11. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

lol, getting all Dawkins up in here...

I'm not sure it's the other way around; more like men are able to advertise their wealth while still not dressing particularly well, or, I dunno, 'fashionable' -- which tends to confuse things.

12. snake

snake Senior member

I've found those types to also be content with starbucks coffee and olive garden.

13. jet

jet Persian Bro

Hilarious how dus in alden thread take pics of their shoes as soon as they try on but before they walk in them for the big ass creases to appear :lol:

14. jet

jet Persian Bro

I like i and iv lol.

My ex absolutely loves everything that I've ever worn (she's the most honest person I know) and got sad occasionally because she didn't have baller clothes even though she dressed pretty well.

PS. can someone fix these fucking avatars

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

15. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

It isn't spreading to the american market, the two business structures and repartition of power are completely different. Having paid infotainment or whatever doesn't make them the same, nigga please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.