Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

you're either naïve or an idiot [​IMG]

2. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

you're either naïve or an idiot [​IMG]

The fact of the matter is, almost all math majors don't continue delving into theoretical mathematics as a profession. Either you're delusional or clearly misinformed about what jobs math majors actually end up pursuing (hint hint: it's usually a hard science or finance/economics).

3. the shah

settle down nerd you said they all go into math-heavy disciplines now you're changing what you said. i know plenty that have gone into traditionally math-free disciplines. it's blowing up everywhere. next topic please

4. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

settle down nerd you said they all go into math-heavy disciplines now you're changing what you said. i know plenty that have gone into traditionally math-free disciplines. it's blowing up everywhere. next topic please
    You're a cool dude, but you just fail at reading comprehension.

5. the shah

I think you just fail at reading comprehension.
    [​IMG]

6. reprehensible

reprehensible Senior member

Math majors are only versatile in conjunction with another math-heavy degree, like economics, physics, etc. Otherwise, they are almost as useless as English majors.

I've interviewed a lot of people for programming jobs. Being conversant in, or comfortable with, mathematics has always been a good sign. It's a more reliably positive trait than having a CS degree, for example. (Our most pathetic recent interview was a guy with a MS CS from Purdue who didn't know big-O notation, sigh.)

Probably correlative more than causative; the sort of person who gets interested in math stuff is more likely to be smart and detail-oriented. But there you go.

7. the shah

Probably correlative more than causative; the sort of person who gets interested in math stuff is more likely to be smart and detail-oriented. But there you go.
    [​IMG]

8. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

[​IMG]
    This does not support your argument that mathematics is a versatile major whatsoever. [​IMG] Also, correlation != causation

9. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

I've interviewed a lot of people for programming jobs. Being conversant in, or comfortable with, mathematics has always been a good sign. It's a more reliably positive trait than having a CS degree, for example. (Our most pathetic recent interview was a guy with a MS CS from Purdue who didn't know big-O notation, sigh.) Probably correlative more than causative; the sort of person who gets interested in math stuff is more likely to be smart and detail-oriented. But there you go.
    I don't know... the fact that he's from Purdue should have already been a dead giveaway that he wasn't really amounting to much in the first place. PS. shahshahshah, being conversant in/comfortable with mathematics != having a math major

10. GlenCoe

GlenCoe Senior member

WRONG ANSWER then again I have a math major and I'm getting paid by the Japanese government to post here, so anything is possible
    hey I'm doing math too [​IMG]

11. the shah

correlation != causation
    lol you're just full of radical ideas aren't you [​IMG] any more enlightening statements, professor ? perhaps we could publish your thoughts on this matter in the journal of contemporary philosophy

12. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

lol you're just full of radical ideas aren't you [​IMG]
    any more enlightening statements, professor ? perhaps we could publish your thoughts on this matter in the journal of contemporary philosophy

i just like debunking your already frail argument [​IMG]

13. reprehensible

reprehensible Senior member

I don't know... the fact that he's from Purdue should have already been a dead giveaway that he wasn't really amounting to much in the first place.

PS. shahshahshah, being conversant in/comfortable with mathematics != having a math major

I would be so happy to interview a math major. Or, alternately, anyone competent.

CS degree is a null signifier, math degree might mean something. Shit, I'd be happy to see a Philosophy major, or a Linguistics major, or pretty much anything but a CS major that has worked at three different banks and is still a shit programmer and terrible engineer.

14. the shah

i just like debunking your already frail argument [​IMG]

there was no argument it was a simple observation that your aborted brain was unable to comprehend. nice try lil buddy. can we stop with the nerdery chat now or do you have a couple post-graduate degrees to back up your realtalk ?

15. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

there was no argument it was a simple observation that your aborted brain was unable to comprehend. nice try lil buddy. can we stop with the nerdery chat now or do you have a couple post-graduate degrees to back up your realtalk ?
    Again, you fail to understand your own fallacies and shortcomings. You made an observation. I accused said observation of being false. You tried to make an argument trying to prove the validity of your observation (a rather feeble attempt that ended up being nothing more a poor execution at insulting my intelligence than anything else), which relied more on causality of relationships based on the posts of another sfer, and ended up proving nothing. If you look at the work fields math majors end up going into, it's very rarely going to end up being strictly mathematics. It'll intertwine with a field that is more applicable to the real world, like economics (economic theory itself is questionable a lot of times because it's impossible to fully account for human behavior, but it's still more useful in real world application than math theory is), finance, some sort of engineering, hard science, etc. Thus, like I said earlier, a math major is only VERSATILE (as you put it) if it is in conjunction with another more applicable field. Have I broken it down enough for your brain to comprehend? I mean, this is simple logical progression and reasoning. Basic logic does not require a post-grad degree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.