• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
In certain hellholes, it's a way to escape their reality and the fragility of life. It could be worse, such as violence or hard drugs :)

I mean one guy saved up for two years to buy a pair of 3k shoes while his kids looked like they had no shoes at all....that is some next level dedication to wears haha

I also have to wonder how many times these guys get robbed. They look like they have a certain respect in the community but like I said they are walking around with reportedly 3K shoes

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've known a few people who've been robbed of more than that. i mean that's just as true in styfoland or otherwise developed places and spaces.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@sipang this was mentioned before, but that silhouette is everywhere in womenswear (via topshop/ zara). literally one in two/three young women in any east london coffee shop will be wearing some variant. i feel like it's crossing over to menswear from there, rather than lemaire being a specific reference point

Last edited:

Jobst

Reaction score
Does anyone know if retailers get dinged by the CC company if any of the purchase/return protection benefits are used? I'm looking at some stuff from a place with a store credit or replacement only policy, but I think my card will let me hedge this up to some value with a full refund.

If it was some giant retailer I wouldn't care, but it's a small shop that I like and wouldn't want them to take a hit. Also don't like the idea of sending some artisanal nonsense back to my CC company to get land filled...

Mulan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Currently, the dad caps are reclaiming their corner in our closets, that’s what’s happening lately. And since both high street and high-end brands picked up on this trend, this sportswear basic is everywhere to be seen.
Do snapbacks and fitted hats count? because I don't think caps ever went away. Seems to me like high end brands simply adopted popular pieces from streetwear knowing they can make an easy sale on something cheap while selling it for much much more.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
holy **** i needed a new pair of beater jeans so i bought another pair of uniqlo skinnys but the waist is ******* gigantic now and the hem is wider than before. when did the fit change?!

gustavobradley

Reaction score
Do snapbacks and fitted hats count? because I don't think caps ever went away. Seems to me like high end brands simply adopted popular pieces from streetwear knowing they can make an easy sale on something cheap while selling it for much much more.

I think the dad cap specifically is a little different, but I can't exactly put my finger on why. You're exactly right about why high end brands are doing it, though -- especially considering the hype over the Balenciaga hat

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jeremy-Corbyn-visit-to-Wabtec.jpg

momentoftruth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if retailers get dinged by the CC company if any of the purchase/return protection benefits are used? I'm looking at some stuff from a place with a store credit or replacement only policy, but I think my card will let me hedge this up to some value with a full refund.

If it was some giant retailer I wouldn't care, but it's a small shop that I like and wouldn't want them to take a hit. Also don't like the idea of sending some artisanal nonsense back to my CC company to get land filled...

I'm not sure about the first part of your question, but at least for my CC (Amex) when I've used the return or loss protection they haven't asked for the item back. My understanding is that it's an insurance benefit so I'd assume the original seller wouldn't get dinged, but obviously YMMV

conceptionist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@sipang this was mentioned before, but that silhouette is everywhere in womenswear (via topshop/ zara). literally one in two/three young women in any east london coffee shop will be wearing some variant. i feel like it's crossing over to menswear from there, rather than lemaire being a specific reference point

Think I've written this before but the situation is the same in Sweden and rest of Scandinavia.

I think it is exciting to see it move to menswear but it seems like a trend that will be over quickly, at least faster than for women. I can't see many guys buying clothes with that kind of volume and for most people it is neither practical or flattering. Large coats have been around for a while but some of those pants are wild even for the more fashion-oriented buyer.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My usual summer uniform is linen shirt (three buttons undone), sweat shorts, slip-ons. A little louche in most places, but I must have come across a hundred dudes wearing the same or similar in Milan.

So you wear an open linen shirt, but sweat shorts? Meaning sweatpants material but shorts? Seems like that would be warmer than necessary... I say this as someone who just wears pants all the time, so I get that maybe you don't care about how much warmer than absolutely necessary the shorts may be.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Think I've written this before but the situation is the same in Sweden and rest of Scandinavia.

I think it is exciting to see it move to menswear but it seems like a trend that will be over quickly, at least faster than for women. I can't see many guys buying clothes with that kind of volume and for most people it is neither practical or flattering. Large coats have been around for a while but some of those pants are wild even for the more fashion-oriented buyer.

Isn't the fact that most guys won't try on voluminous pants the reason why it's more likely to stay for the fashion enthusiast? Trends usually die when they're easy to adopt and make it to high street.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dad caps are basically 1990s Rl khaki cotton caps. No structure, low profile, curved brim (at least a little). Usually a self-strap on the back, one size fits all. Have seen a streetwear resurgence at part at least because of accessibility; they're standard corporate logo giveaway gear so get something "interesting" embroidered on them (a pack of cigarettes, a rose, whatever) rather than a polo pony or MAGA and you have a streetwear dad cap.

Snapbacks for the most part had more lining/structure, and fitteds in the New Era mold a lot more structure and stiffer brim, plus not usually cotton. Both of those were arguably actually cool /broadly accepted in their heydays
while dad caps were v white middle manager Van Heusen or maybe food service work uniform wear until their recent resurgence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics