• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buying drinks for an event is a sucker move. You find some brand who wants to get hold of your target market and have them sponsor it. Just make sure it doesn't taste like wallpaper glue.
It's a lot of work to get a sponsor (as opposed to allocating about a grand, total) and additional logistics. It would be cool just to have, but as a cost thing, it's more cost effective to just serve your own booze.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

On a tangent, I'll be in NYC for 3 days and was wondering if anyone had some restaurant, store, and places to go recs. I'm staying right by the Empire State. I'm pretty open about food and more into SW&D (Ervell, Veilance, OAMC). Don't need a long list ,anything appreciated.

Thanks 

restaurants, all fairly inexpensive, all well known: mission burrito, morgenstern's (ice cream), shopsins (for the experience), russ & daughters cafe

for stores, pretty sure it's covered if you go searching SF but some ideas based on what you said:
Gentry
Totokaelo
Tokio 7
Assembly nyc
Dover Street Market

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@willy cheesesteak's god tier list is below. PS, go visit NMWA (make an appointment first).

Early in the day you can go take a peaceful stroll through
Central Park (I like entering through the 59th St/Columbus Circle entrance) or The Conservatory Garden, followed up with the American Museum of Natural History since it's pretty close (and even though I've went here plenty of times as a kid, this museum will always be awesome)).

In the afternoon, you can check out Nepenthes, Carson Street Clothiers, Bergdorf Goodman, Opening Ceremony, Odin, Epaulet, Saint Laurent, Maison Martin Margiela, Rick Owens, Aloha Rag, Dior Homme, Lanvin, Givenchy, Balenciaga, Thom Browne, A Bathing Ape, Yohji Yamamoto, Comme des Garcons, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Leffot, etc.

For breakfast/brunch:
Russ & Daughters (Best lox bagels in NY with over 10 varieties)
Ess-A-Bagel (Grew up on this stuff and just as good as when I first had it)
Clinton Street Baking Company (Their pancakes, oh lord)

For lunch/dinner:
The Breslin Bar & Dining Room at The Ace Hotel (Dat lamb burger)
Macbar (Mac and Cheese Heaven)
S'Mac (Mac and Cheese Heaven Pt 2)
Korzo Haus (Dat deep fried burger that's not even greasy at all and is ******* delicious. Make sure to grab a seat at the counter and chat with Steve the chef)
Di Fara Pizza (King of NY pizza)
Juliana's Pizza (The original Patsy Grimaldi's semi-new pizza restaurant)
Motorino (One of my favorite Neapolitan pies)
Joe's Pizza (If you're not in the mood for a pie but want the quintessential NY slice)
Parisi Bakery (For a solid Italian Sub/Combo)
Aria Wine Bar (Really good Italian tapas)
Cocoron (Best soba noodles and this location is more spacious than the original)
Vanessa's Dumpling House (The pan fried dumplings, Peking duck sandwiches, etc all for so cheap)
Xe May Sandwich Shop (Dat lam'bretta banh mi)
Udon West (Best Udon)
Totto Ramen (Better ramen than Ippudo IMO and don't forget to get the Char Siu Mayo Don)
Minca (If the wait is too long at Totto)
Shanghai Cafe (Best XLB/Soup Dumplings in Chinatown)
Asia Dog (Asian style takes on hot dogs)
Curry-Ya (Best curry)
Luke's Lobster (Great lobster rolls)
Nomad (From 5pm-7pm, they have H/H with $3 white/red sangria & $1 oysters)
Fish (They have a special where you get 6 oysters or clams and a glass of wine or beer for $8)
Nougatine At Jean-Georges (They have a 3 course prix-fixe lunch for $32)
DB Bistro Moderne (Dat DB Burger)
Little Prince (They have a French Onion Soup burger)
Cafe Cortadito (Skirt steaks, Cubanos, Yuca fries, Cortaditos)
Margon (Great Cubanos)
Cafe Habana (Dat grilled corn)
El Castillo De Jagua (Solid as **** Dominican food, get ready to be extremely full)
Sofrito (Awesome Puerto Rican food)
Los Perros Locos (Latin style takes on hot dogs)
Souvlaki GR (Delicious Greek food)
Rustic LES (They have a lamb burger that is served with gruyere and duck bacon with Belgian fries)
7 Spices (Grilled Turkish meatball sandwich)
Taim (My favorite falafels in the city)
Katz's Delicatessen (Obviously, the Pastrami on Rye with mustard)
Eisenberg's Sandwich Shop (Old School NY, get the pastrami reuben and an egg cream)

For Dessert:
Cafe Sabarsky/Cafe Fledermaus (Get your Colonel Hans Landa on with a delicious Apple Strudel and an expresso)
Doughnut Plant (Hard to go wrong with anything here really)
Il Laboratorio Del Gelato (Great gelato)
Chinatown Ice Cream Factory (Asian inspired ice cream flavors)
Big Gay Ice Cream Shop (The Dulce De Leche or The Salty Pimp)
Lula's Sweet Apothecary (Lactose free, legit ass ice cream shop. Ice cream that looks like ice cream you'd see in movies)
Momofuku Milk Bar (Cereal Milk ice cream, compost cookies, etc)
Ralph's Famous Italian Ices (If you're not in the mood for ice cream)
Laduree (Your GF would probably hug you if you brought back a box of these and would brag/instagram to her friends that she's eating Laduree macarons (bitches love macarons, especially the most famous macarons))

Fine dining:
Eleven Madison Park
Blue Hill
The Nomad Restaurant
Marea
wd-50
Brushstroke
Corton
Le Bernardin
Bouley
Per Se
Jean-Georges
Daniel

Last edited:

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn...I pretty much hated living in NYC, but I miss it after seeing at least a dozen spots I liked on that list

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of those spots no longer exist (Korzo Haus (no more Manhattan location), Los Perros Locos, Rustic LES, 7 Spices, wd-50) :(

And you can add:

Biang! (the proper sit-down offshoot of Xian's Famous Foods, for the skewers and hand-pulled noodles)
Paulie Gee's (the Hellboy, Cherry Jones, Hellified Porkpie White)
Han Dynasty (Dan Dan Noodles, Mapo Tofu, Dry Pepper chicken wings, Pork Belly with Sweet Garlic Chili Oil Sauce)
Korzo (for the Eastern European style deep fried burger)
Lam Zhou Handmade Noodle (for the pan fried dumplings & noodles)
Mighty Quinn's (for the brisket)
Malai Marke (for Indian)
Mission Chinese (for everything on the menu)
Maharlika (for the Flip'd Chicken and Ube Waffle)
NY Pizza Suprema (another great by the slice spot like Joe's)
The Happiest Hour (for The Happiest Burger)
Upland (for the Upland Cheeseburger)
Shanghai Asian Manor (for the soup dumplings)
Super Taste (for the Mount Qi beef noodle soup)
Dominique Ansel Bakery (for the DKA, Cronut, and Frozen S'more)
Morgenstern's (easily the best ice cream in NYC)

To the list!

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Japanese, they're just like us!

https://www.businessoffashion.com/a...e-retailers-hurt-by-discount-seeking-shoppers

sartbaeklv

Reaction score
@willy cheesesteak's god tier list is below. PS, go visit NMWA (make an appointment first).

Central Park (I like entering through the 59th St/Columbus Circle entrance) or The Conservatory Garden, followed up with the American Museum of Natural History since it's pretty close (and even though I've went here plenty of times as a kid, this museum will always be awesome)).

In the afternoon, you can check out Nepenthes, Carson Street Clothiers, Bergdorf Goodman, Opening Ceremony, Odin, Epaulet, Saint Laurent, Maison Martin Margiela, Rick Owens, Aloha Rag, Dior Homme, Lanvin, Givenchy, Balenciaga, Thom Browne, A Bathing Ape, Yohji Yamamoto, Comme des Garcons, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Leffot, etc.

Carson Street been closed for a couple months now mate.

For SWD I would check the aforementioned Gentry, Totokaelo, Nepenthes, Patron of the New and Dover Street Market. Blue in Green Soho/Self Edge if you're into selvedge Japanese denim.
Other shops have uninspiring buys, limited selection and Tokio 7 is pricey for secondhand goods unless you're desperate then might as well go to Grailed.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Hi NY friends. let's get fat together

John-Galt

Reaction score
restaurants, all fairly inexpensive, all well known: mission burrito, morgenstern's (ice cream), shopsins (for the experience), russ & daughters cafe

for stores, pretty sure it's covered if you go searching SF but some ideas based on what you said:
Gentry
Totokaelo
Tokio 7
Assembly nyc
Dover Street Market

@willy cheesesteak 's god tier list is below. PS, go visit NMWA (make an appointment first).

For breakfast/brunch:
Russ & Daughters (Best lox bagels in NY with over 10 varieties)
Ess-A-Bagel (Grew up on this stuff and just as good as when I first had it)
Clinton Street Baking Company (Their pancakes, oh lord)

For lunch/dinner:
The Breslin Bar & Dining Room at The Ace Hotel (Dat lamb burger)
Macbar (Mac and Cheese Heaven)
S'Mac (Mac and Cheese Heaven Pt 2)
Korzo Haus (Dat deep fried burger that's not even greasy at all and is ******* delicious. Make sure to grab a seat at the counter and chat with Steve the chef)
Di Fara Pizza (King of NY pizza)
Juliana's Pizza (The original Patsy Grimaldi's semi-new pizza restaurant)
Motorino (One of my favorite Neapolitan pies)
Joe's Pizza (If you're not in the mood for a pie but want the quintessential NY slice)
Parisi Bakery (For a solid Italian Sub/Combo)
Aria Wine Bar (Really good Italian tapas)
Cocoron (Best soba noodles and this location is more spacious than the original)
Vanessa's Dumpling House (The pan fried dumplings, Peking duck sandwiches, etc all for so cheap)
Xe May Sandwich Shop (Dat lam'bretta banh mi)
Udon West (Best Udon)
Totto Ramen (Better ramen than Ippudo IMO and don't forget to get the Char Siu Mayo Don)
Minca (If the wait is too long at Totto)
Shanghai Cafe (Best XLB/Soup Dumplings in Chinatown)
Asia Dog (Asian style takes on hot dogs)
Curry-Ya (Best curry)
Luke's Lobster (Great lobster rolls)
Nomad (From 5pm-7pm, they have H/H with $3 white/red sangria & $1 oysters)
Fish (They have a special where you get 6 oysters or clams and a glass of wine or beer for $8)
Nougatine At Jean-Georges (They have a 3 course prix-fixe lunch for $32)
DB Bistro Moderne (Dat DB Burger)
Little Prince (They have a French Onion Soup burger)
Cafe Cortadito (Skirt steaks, Cubanos, Yuca fries, Cortaditos)
Margon (Great Cubanos)
Cafe Habana (Dat grilled corn)
El Castillo De Jagua (Solid as **** Dominican food, get ready to be extremely full)
Sofrito (Awesome Puerto Rican food)
Los Perros Locos (Latin style takes on hot dogs)
Souvlaki GR (Delicious Greek food)
Rustic LES (They have a lamb burger that is served with gruyere and duck bacon with Belgian fries)
7 Spices (Grilled Turkish meatball sandwich)
Taim (My favorite falafels in the city)
Katz's Delicatessen (Obviously, the Pastrami on Rye with mustard)
Eisenberg's Sandwich Shop (Old School NY, get the pastrami reuben and an egg cream)

For Dessert:
Cafe Sabarsky/Cafe Fledermaus (Get your Colonel Hans Landa on with a delicious Apple Strudel and an expresso)
Doughnut Plant (Hard to go wrong with anything here really)
Il Laboratorio Del Gelato (Great gelato)
Chinatown Ice Cream Factory (Asian inspired ice cream flavors)
Big Gay Ice Cream Shop (The Dulce De Leche or The Salty Pimp)
Lula's Sweet Apothecary (Lactose free, legit ass ice cream shop. Ice cream that looks like ice cream you'd see in movies)
Momofuku Milk Bar (Cereal Milk ice cream, compost cookies, etc)
Ralph's Famous Italian Ices (If you're not in the mood for ice cream)
Laduree (Your GF would probably hug you if you brought back a box of these and would brag/instagram to her friends that she's eating Laduree macarons (bitches love macarons, especially the most famous macarons))

Fine dining:
Eleven Madison Park
Blue Hill
The Nomad Restaurant
Marea
wd-50
Brushstroke
Corton
Le Bernardin
Bouley
Per Se
Jean-Georges
Daniel

Some of those spots no longer exist (Korzo Haus (no more Manhattan location), Los Perros Locos, Rustic LES, 7 Spices, wd-50)
frown.gif

And you can add:

Biang! (the proper sit-down offshoot of Xian's Famous Foods, for the skewers and hand-pulled noodles)
Paulie Gee's (the Hellboy, Cherry Jones, Hellified Porkpie White)
Han Dynasty (Dan Dan Noodles, Mapo Tofu, Dry Pepper chicken wings, Pork Belly with Sweet Garlic Chili Oil Sauce)
Korzo (for the Eastern European style deep fried burger)
Lam Zhou Handmade Noodle (for the pan fried dumplings & noodles)
Mighty Quinn's (for the brisket)
Malai Marke (for Indian)
Mission Chinese (for everything on the menu)
Maharlika (for the Flip'd Chicken and Ube Waffle)
NY Pizza Suprema (another great by the slice spot like Joe's)
The Happiest Hour (for The Happiest Burger)
Upland (for the Upland Cheeseburger)
Shanghai Asian Manor (for the soup dumplings)
Super Taste (for the Mount Qi beef noodle soup)
Dominique Ansel Bakery (for the DKA and Frozen S'more)
Morgenstern's (easily the best ice cream in NYC)

To the list!

Thank you gent!
Hi NY friends. let's get fat together
Yasss uncle

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tokio 7 is pricey for secondhand goods unless you're desperate then might as well go to Grailed.

true but i think it's still worth going cuz you can't try things on through your computer screen.

Last edited:

Phrost

Reaction score
God damn I'd be surprised if @willy cheesesteak isn't pre-diabetic or doesn't have high blood pressure. You should make a list on your blog or something.

Recommend me some good LES/Chinatown spots please. There's been a bunch of new places popping up and I'm looking for new places to eat.

I had Morgenstern's Ice Cream recently and it's pretty good. Out of all of the new artisanal ice cream shops popping up in the city, this one is actually pretty nice and has some unique flavors. I liked the Black Coconut Ash from there.

I second Taim for my favorite falafel, El Castillo de Jagua (either the Grand St or Rivington locations) for solid Dominican food, & Lam Zhou (I like the Beef Brisket Hand pulled noodle soup & fried dumplings (the best IMO)

I'll add my frugal recommendations (Chinatown heavy cause it's close & I'm cheap):

Coppelia - 24 hr diner in Chelsea for Cuban-ish/Spanish food & bar - Loma Saltado is very good and solid/inexpensive breakfast
Yakitori Taisho - Japanese Yakitori spot in St Marks. Pretty solid for Japanese barbecue & beer food. Small space though
Kossar's Bialys - Their bagels and bialys are solid, aim for AM for maximum freshness. They had a big renovation recently & I noticed they added a bunch of stuff to their menu. Doughnut Plant is next door too.
Banh Mi Saigon - My favorite Vietnamese sandwich (get the #1 spicy)
Pho Grand (#1 big bowl pho or any of its variations are good, grilled pork chops are great)
Nom Wah Tea Parlor is official for all day made to order dim sum. I brought some friends there and they enjoyed themselves & it was inexpensive.
Xing Wong BBQ - Cantonese roasted meats (duck, pork) are good here and Peking pork chop are good.
New Wong Rest Inc - Brother restaurant to Xing Wong on the same street. They make my favorite Cantonese breakfast food like congee (rice porridge) and fried crullers. Get the Zhaliang (fried cruller wrapped in a rice noodle roll)
Green Bo Restaurant - good Chinese restaurant (I like the Stewed Beef Noodle Soup)
Bo Ky Restaurant - Teochew Chinese food - My favorite is the Curry Chicken Noodle Soup with Ho Fun (broad rice noodles)

Last edited:

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
if you're ever near columbia, saiguette is really good for vietnamese. the only downside is they give pickled jalapenos instead of fresh.

Last edited:

baltimoron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just tried to bid on a Soloist shirt, and zenmarket kept giving me an error that said it couldn't place the bid. Anybody ever experience that? Pretty pissed, it ended with a pretty low price too.

Was the seller neg rep % too high? I've had that happen once or twice and had to email zenmarket to push a bid through

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads