• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

Dude, Philly isn't even on our top 10 list of most members/readers.  New York is number 1, followed by London.  I mean, we can't possibly justify a show in Philly (though I do like it.)

I might do a Viberg GMTO there if we can get Viberg on board, but we'll see.  

Yeah, Philly kind of blows as far as fashion is concerned.

Sandwiches, though. We're good with sandwiches.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Philly kind of blows as far as fashion is concerned.

Sandwiches, though. We're good with sandwiches.
Can't disagree with either of those statements. Maybe if we have a sandwich meetup.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dude, Philly isn't even on our top 10 list of most members/readers. New York is number 1, followed by London. I mean, we can't possibly justify a show in Philly (though I do like it.) I might do a Viberg GMTO there if we can get Viberg on board, but we'll see. Just to give you a sense of how much these things cost - last time, we were slightly in the red with a total cost of $26K for the show, no labor included. This is paid by the vendors, and frankly, the shows have to be in the black so that we can start paying our people, for them to be viable. The most successful booth was Carmina, which was selling all day. SWD guys are wanting stuff at 80% off. Not really viable.
I'm kinda surprised that you've never considered Chicago. Yeah, you don't have quite the reader traffic that NYC or LON does, but you an get (reasonably short) direct flight from anywhere and it'd probably be half to two thirds the cost of NYC? Oh, and they have Italian Beef sandwiches.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda surprised that you've never considered Chicago. Yeah, you don't have quite the reader traffic that NYC or LON does, but you an get (reasonably short) direct flight from anywhere and it'd probably be half to two thirds the cost of NYC?

Oh, and they have Italian Beef sandwiches.

Again, a lot of it comes down to vendors. Everyone, domestic and foreign, want to go to NYC. The market is there. Our readership is concentrated there. You mention SF and London, and it's a "maybe". Somewhere else? Blank stares and radio silence.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People really think SW&D can be the primary customer base for anything that involves money? Or disabling adblock?

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

Again, a lot of it comes down to vendors.  Everyone, domestic and foreign, want to go to NYC.  The market is there.  Our readership is concentrated there. You mention SF and London, and it's a "maybe".  Somewhere else?  Blank stares and radio silence.

I would take the train over to nyc again. might fly to london. probably LA too. SF doubtful, chicago not likely, and def not interested in other places :satisfied:

obviously green tea request stands indefinitely :slayer:

Last edited:

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might do a Viberg GMTO there if we can get Viberg on board, but we'll see.

Just to give you a sense of how much these things cost - last time, we were slightly in the red with a total cost of $26K for the show, no labor included. This is paid by the vendors, and frankly, the shows have to be in the black so that we can start paying our people, for them to be viable. The most successful booth was Carmina, which was selling all day.

SWD guys are wanting stuff at 80% off. Not really viable.

One more suggestion: perhaps you should cut back a bit on the free booze.
peepwall[1].gif

And before you guys go STFU on me, I mean that you should consider buying fewer bottles. I say this as a guy who volunteered with clean up last year. Granted, I acknowledge that it's hard to tell how many people will be attending events like these - and thus hard to determine how many bottles/cases should be purchased.

Given how the SW&D crowd is more prone to waiting for deals, doing GMTOs and pre-orders of upcoming collections is the way to go. The last few times where I've paid full price - or close to it - have been from pre-orders of that were likely not going to be made in that colour, or at all. The only thing is that it would be reliant on the potential customer knowing their size already, which makes it tough for potential new customers unless there are trial pieces present.

Hence, not really viable.

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Buying drinks for an event is a sucker move. You find some brand who wants to get hold of your target market and have them sponsor it. Just make sure it doesn't taste like wallpaper glue.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

People really think SW&D can be the primary customer base for anything that involves money? Or disabling adblock?

I primarily browse SF on my phone, so I get all sort of adds for random **** I don't look at. I have noticed though a lot of media outlets have adblocker blockers now.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score

Buying drinks for an event is a sucker move. You find some brand who wants to get hold of your target market and have them sponsor it. Just make sure it doesn't taste like wallpaper glue.

Alcohol companies are really hard-pressed selling alcohol to working professionals in their 20s-40s who have enough discretionary income to buy MTO clothing :violin:.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's about getting a foothold in the market place. Peroni did a lot of events over a period here just so they could get a marketshare.

John-Galt

Reaction score
On a tangent, I'll be in NYC for 3 days and was wondering if anyone had some restaurant, store, and places to go recs. I'm staying right by the Empire State. I'm pretty open about food and more into SW&D (Ervell, Veilance, OAMC). Don't need a long list ,anything appreciated.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads