• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The No, No, Yes! wallet I got around three years ago is directly responsible for my being on this forum and for almost all of my clothing-related expenditure in the past two years.
lol. Um... what was it?

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol. Um... what was it?

One of these fellows. Then I was trying to find out more about the company, and found a shop in Berlin (Oukan) selling some of their leather jackets, and a bunch of other "artisanal"/darkwave fashion type stuff, and also H. Lorenzo (which no longer stocks them), which gradually expanded the circle of such labels on my radar, and eventually some googling landed me in the "artisanal streetwear" threads here.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I've had the key holder and the "breast wallet" (a la green Hermes fame) since at least early 2016, can't find the email confirmation for it, but I got the bifold last July and used it pretty much every day for over a year. It's darkened over time, which is to be expected wearing it with denim so if you don't wear jeans often perhaps your mileage will vary on that, but the leather has softened a bit (the key holder darkened too but it too was worn with denim); the breast pocket and cardholder have been worn sparingly with denim as you can imagine, but I have had no complaints about the leather itself. No fissures for me, and I like the color a lot as well as the smell that they have new.

I had been trying to talk to their manager in London about making up a sort of cigar case (similar to these) but haven't heard back from him in months and he wasn't there when I went to visit their storefront, so that's been on the back burner for a while with wedding expenses and a new house (plus selling our old brownstone) coming up. Maybe I should talk to the Hanger Project about it when that time comes; I think they can coordinate such things with Cleverley's people and Kirby is a cigar smoker too so he might be able to design something better than I could do via email

Bro this is so dope, might have to cop one of them to keep my halliburton company.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still have a porter wallet from 10 years ago. I've bought a few since but never got around to using them.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whatever happened to Isaac Reina. The few recent things I've seen aren't nearly as appealing. My daily is a Margiela splatter card holder, but I have something from AiP and a gator holder from Pierpont.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
PSA: did you know?
When you launder your synthetic gear (esp. fleece), plastic microfibers make their way from your washing machine into the ocean since water facilities can't adequately process/filter them. Some surfwear guys in Germany invented this laundry bag (Guppy Friend) to address the issue. Some of the captured microfibers might end up in a landfill depending on how your city handles trash, but at least they'll stop becoming fish food. I'm gonna get one from Patagonia and will report back. I think the only synthetc washable stuff I have are gym clothes.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Whatever happened to *THISBRANDTHATONCEMADEDOPESHIT*. The few recent things I've seen aren't nearly as appealing.

ftfy

fwiw, i find like 75% of the recent devoa offerings to be pretty ******* bad.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA: did you know?
When you launder your synthetic gear (esp. fleece), plastic microfibers make their way from your washing machine into the ocean since water facilities can't adequately process/filter them. Some surfwear guys in Germany invented this laundry bag (Guppy Friend) to address the issue. Some of the captured microfibers might end up in a landfill depending on how your city handles trash, but at least they'll stop becoming fish food. I'm gonna get one from Patagonia and will report back. I think the only synthetc washable stuff I have are gym clothes.

Kelly Slaters brand actually uses fabric made with those recovered plastic fibres. I think the brand is called outer known

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received an LV pebble grain cardholder many many years ago. Has the gaudy monograms, but the thing is bomb-proof and won't die. It's all I've used, save one year of a TOJ zip wallet from back in the day, which I found too bulky for my liking.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
speaking of LV, my wife's LV tote that she bought over 10 years ago won't die either (and went through a lot abuse for sure)

YoungM

Reaction score
Per all the wallet talk, I bought a wallet from these guys about 6 or 7 years ago, and the leather has started to crack a bit and it's looking a bit beat. At the time, they had a few cordovan options, but they don't any longer, which has me looking elsewhere.

However, I'm fairly obsessed with the edge treatment - the four or five layers of leather are completely bonded together and have a solidity and shine (still!) that I love.

Anyone have any reccs for similar finishing? For some reason I just really dislike it when edges seem flimsy (or aren't bonded together). Should I just buy another Angelos in calf?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
speaking of LV, my wife's LV tote that she bought over 10 years ago won't die either (and went through a lot abuse for sure)

ditto. but, the vachetta piping wore through at one corner, they fixed it free. it's semi-retired which is the sweet spot of personal effects imo.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Per all the wallet talk, I bought a wallet from these guys about 6 or 7 years ago, and the leather has started to crack a bit and it's looking a bit beat. At the time, they had a few cordovan options, but they don't any longer, which has me looking elsewhere.

However, I'm fairly obsessed with the edge treatment - the four or five layers of leather are completely bonded together and have a solidity and shine (still!) that I love.

Anyone have any reccs for similar finishing? For some reason I just really dislike it when edges seem flimsy (or aren't bonded together). Should I just buy another Angelos in calf?

I have a Flat Head wallet that I really like. I think it's like 8 or 9 years old now? Self Edge sells them.

I like the patina it's developed and it hasn't cracked. I also use Obenauf's LP on it about once every two years though.

tumblr_inline_mpr6ex5cLD1qz4rgp.jpg

tumblr_inline_mpr6faVAC81qz4rgp.jpg

Was recently at Standard & Strange. They had some really nice wallets in that style you linked, but I think they were calf. Don't see them on the site, so you might have to call them. Maybe they're available for a shell cordovan order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads