• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren Private Sale

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Arrr! I just called the mansion and they say they're out of the Mackay in 9.5 in everything but suede. Worse, they say they had most of the Mackay stock, and that they're probably not getting any more.

Suggestions???

The suede is quite nice Doc, not your style?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
The suede is quite nice Doc, not your style?

It would be, normally, but I had my heart set on the dark oak. I'd even considered the Edwardian. But the suede wasn't even really in contention. No slight to the suede, but I already have several pairs of suede shoes.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arrr! I just called the mansion and they say they're out of the Mackay in 9.5 in everything but suede. Worse, they say they had most of the Mackay stock, and that they're probably not getting any more.

Suggestions???

Call up the Chicago and Chevy Chase Polo stores. They may have the desired Mackay in stock in your size.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would be, normally, but I had my heart set on the dark oak. I'd even considered the Edwardian. But the suede wasn't even really in contention. No slight to the suede, but I already have several pairs of suede shoes.

Doc, call them back and ask them to locate a pair for you at another store. Let *their* fingers do the walking. It's called customer service.

Unfortunately, I'm sitting out this sale, since I have major clothing bills due to hit my credit card any day now and continue throughout the Summer. I'm *the other* StyleForum member who doesn't own a pair of Mackays and I know it's heresy, but I would rather buy a pair of the Carter, 3-eyelet derbies. But alas, I've decided to gamble on RL having another sale later this year.

yanks2182

Reaction score
I've officially joined the Edwardian Mackay club!
smile.gif

Thanks to Andrew on his recommendation and his great pictures of these. The pictures can't even do the color it's full justice.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Congrats!

The devil wears Edward Green, not Prada.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok, update: I called back and spoke with a manager, who told me the odds are slim that any of the stores have the Mackay in brown in 9.5. Apparently Polo didn't restock in the fall, so many sizes already have sold out. Because the supply is so small, most of the remaining pairs have been sent to New York. But the good news is that he expects the line will continue. If not the Mackay, he said something very similar likely would take its place. That means there may be more come August.

CommercialDoc

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a C&J model that corresponds to the Darlton Wingtip? The Clifford?

Also, I am need of a black shoe and I just think it is a waste to get the Mackays in black. Do you think that the black cordovan wingtip is a good choice or too conservative a style for a black shoe?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
Unfortunately, I'm sitting out this sale, since I have major clothing bills due to hit my credit card any day now and continue throughout the Summer. I'm *the other* StyleForum member who doesn't own a pair of Mackays and I know it's heresy, but I would rather buy a pair of the Carter, 3-eyelet derbies. But alas, I've decided to gamble on RL having another sale later this year.

Funny, I actually need derbies far more than I need Mackays. But like you, I thought I could pick them up later. Now, if you can just use your magic touch to find us some discount Lobbs....

El Guerrouj

Reaction score
I just came back from the Mansion...very disappointing as there were no EG's in size 8. And when I called yesterday, the salesperson said I could not have them held.
cry.gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Now, if you can just use your magic touch to find us some discount Lobbs....

Doc...Ebay has a seemingly endless supply via Sausages and Modern Vintage. I'm a repeat customer of both and highly recommend them.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the C&J Clifford and I don't think it corresponds at all to the Darlton, aside from the fact that they are wingtips. Darlton is a much more substantial shoe (I hesitate to use the word bulkier), I believe it is a double-sole, and the broguing perforations appear to be larger as well. The Clifford is much sleeker, and it has the standard elongated toe-box on the 337 last.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CommercialDoc
Does anyone know if there is a C&J model that corresponds to the Darlton Wingtip? The Clifford?

Also, I am need of a black shoe and I just think it is a waste to get the Mackays in black. Do you think that the black cordovan wingtip is a good choice or too conservative a style for a black shoe?

The Darlton wingtip is the C&J Pembroke on the 325 last, from the Benchmade line.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads