• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren Private Sale

yanks2182

Reaction score
How does the fit of the Tellman compare to the Mackay?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Funny, I actually need derbies far more than I need Mackays. But like you, I thought I could pick them up later. Now, if you can just use your magic touch to find us some discount Lobbs....

Did you write this because you know that I found discount Lobbs earlier this Spring? Nothing in your size, unfortunately, but I did pick up a UK size 11 black Perrier for myself, for $206. I keep checking back, but I think my source has dried up.

CommercialDoc

Reaction score
If the darlton is the pembroke, but the pembroke has a rubber sole and is calf leather, is the description of the darlton as leather-soled and cordovan inaccurate? Or is it just a different style of the pembroke?

alflauren

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CommercialDoc
Do you think that the black cordovan wingtip is a good choice or too conservative a style for a black shoe?

Do you mean the black Darlton wingtip? I don't think those are cordovan, even though that's what the website says. Regardless, I think it is probably a very good shoe. I have the brown cordovan ones, and they're very nice (with leather sole). But as one comment above states, they are what you might call 'substantial.' No problem in my book. More for the money.

Can others confirm on the black Darltons? I think it's just black calf. So granted, it wouldn't be as good of a deal if the brown cordovan is the same price, but hey - it's a C&J for roughly $300. Hard to go wrong.

billiebob

Reaction score
The black plaintoe Darltons are calf. Can't comment on the wingtips, though I doubt there is black shell unless it's new. They have a double sole and are very substantial shoes. They take longer to break in than, say, an EG, but mold nicely and will last a looong time.

Black Darltons were selling for 200 last Fall, because they were on the "Sale" portion of Polo.com, and there was a 30% off code floating around. The lowest I've seen cordovan Darltons is 300 right now, except during the infamous 4 hour Polo.com stack sale.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
Did you write this because you know that I found discount Lobbs earlier this Spring? Nothing in your size, unfortunately, but I did pick up a UK size 11 black Perrier for myself, for $206. I keep checking back, but I think my source has dried up.

Yep, I remember you mentioning it. Quite the story! If only I had such luck...

gehrig

Reaction score
How does the fit of the Mackey compare to that of the Grant? I picked up Grants today 10.5/D and am thinking about ordering the Mackey online in dark oak. The 12/D black Mackey I tried on today was way way too long, but its width was fine. Salesperson suggested 11/D, but would 10.5/D be better based on how well the Grant (888 last) fits?

Also, for those that have seen burnt pine and dark oak up close, would you say they're a similar looking shade? I'm a bit worried about the Mackey and Grant looking identical once trousers are covering up their top portions.

Also grabbed Piersons in black (082 i think) and a model the name of which I have already forgotten (only had one there, had been mtm for someone) in a sort of reddish brown (888), which is easily my fav of the three.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CommercialDoc
If the darlton is the pembroke, but the pembroke has a rubber sole and is calf leather, is the description of the darlton as leather-soled and cordovan inaccurate? Or is it just a different style of the pembroke?
Consensus from the last Polo sale is that the black Darltons are calfskin, whereas the brown ones are shell cordovan. The brown Darlton wingtip has a leather sole and is shell cordovan. I own one and can confirm it. I emailed C&J last Winter to ask about the last and their rep responded that the Darlton wingtip is basically the same model as the Pembroke, on the 325 last.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the Grant is made on the 888 last, the fit should be similar to that of the Mackay, which is also made on the 888. I've seen the EG leather swatches, as well a the Mackay in dark oak and burnt pine is significantly lighter than dark oak. I can't imagine two pairs of shoes in the two different colors being mistaken as having the same color, even when worn on different days. The colors are _that_ different.

CaptChaos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alflauren
Can others confirm on the black Darltons? I think it's just black calf. So granted, it wouldn't be as good of a deal if the brown cordovan is the same price, but hey - it's a C&J for roughly $300. Hard to go wrong.

This was the subject of much discussion last year. As I recall, the consensus was that the black Darltons (plain toe and wingtip) were cow and only the brown Darltons were horse.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gehrig
How does the fit of the Mackey compare to that of the Grant? I picked up Grants today 10.5/D and am thinking about ordering the Mackey online in dark oak. The 12/D black Mackey I tried on today was way way too long, but its width was fine. Salesperson suggested 11/D, but would 10.5/D be better based on how well the Grant (888 last) fits?

Also, for those that have seen burnt pine and dark oak up close, would you say they're a similar looking shade? I'm a bit worried about the Mackey and Grant looking identical once trousers are covering up their top portions.

Also grabbed Piersons in black (082 i think) and a model the name of which I have already forgotten (only had one there, had been mtm for someone) in a sort of reddish brown (888), which is easily my fav of the three.

Nice haul! Don't worry about adding the Mackay as the dark oak and burnt pine are dramatically different colors (The devil wears Edward Green, not Prada). BTW, I saw the MTM shoe that you picked up and it is a beauty. They had their MTM models for the next trunk show on display and the one you scored was the only one being offered for sale. All the other were samples of which they only had one shoe.
frown.gif

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gehrig

Are you sure that the Grant is on the 888 last? I was told by a reliable source that it is on the 89 last.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grant 888 (btw, aka Edward Green Oundle)
oundle8nh.jpg

Image courtesy of Sky Valet

Size 10.5 remaining at the Rhinelinder Mansion
The RLPL has a floating medallion, and a nice one at that...all sold out in my size.
This is actually my grail shoe. Especially on the 888, since it fits my foot so well.

"I love a light rotation"

darkoak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Are you sure that the Grant is on the 888 last? I was told by a reliable source that it is on the 89 last.

The Grant is on the 888; the Carter (3-eyelet Dover) is on the 89. I have seen both at the Mansion. You can also look at aportnoy's pic on page 5 -- Mackay vs. Grant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics