• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren lines, and 'who makes what' - a definitive guide

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say the following:

RLPL Savile - Classic fit TTS. No custom fit variant AFAIK
RLPL Drake - Slimmer fit, drop 6, sometimes pleated trousers. Similar fit to RLBL with a classic fit trouser and less padded shoulder
RLPL Drake Custom Fit - Much slimmer fit, best to size up. Custom Fit label inside jacket. Flat front trousers

PRL Custom Fit - Soft shoulder, very slim fitting, best to size up.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To answer my original question myself:

The suit arrived and fits me perfectly. The cut is just slightly trimmer than the Savile without the need to size up.

I would conclude therefore that Savile fits true to size. Drake fits slightly slimmer. If the label says custom fit (usually on a Drake model) it will fit a size smaller. This ties in with PRL models that have a custom fit variant. They generally fit a size smaller also.

The fit seemed very similar to my RLBL Anthony DB. I compared the two and they are almost identical. The jacket shape is the same, the lapels are the same dimension, but the shoulder padding is much less and there is of course plenty of handwork, both externally and on the internals of the suit.

pics??? Would love to see this bad boy...........

fwedo

Reaction score

RLPL Drake Custom Fit - Much slimmer fit, best to size up. Custom Fit label inside jacket. Flat front trousers

thank you. I must say that sizing up depends on your shape. To me: 178 and 70kg, no need to size up. Drakes custom fits me perfecty, from shoulders to lenght, the sizing is really excellent both on PL et PRL custom fit.

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thank you. I must say that sizing up depends on your shape. To me: 178 and 70kg, no need to size up. Drakes custom fits me perfecty, from shoulders to lenght, the sizing is really excellent both on PL et PRL custom fit.

Yes, of course body shape is a determining factor. Conversely you might find the same size in a non-custom fit model to be too large.

I tried on my usual size in a Drake Custom last week and I couldn't even get it my shoulders into it.

masaccio

Reaction score

RLPL Savile - Classic fit TTS. No custom fit variant AFAIK
RLPL Drake - Slimmer fit, drop 6, sometimes pleated trousers. Similar fit to RLBL with a classic fit trouser and less padded shoulder

Very informative.

Any thoughts on the early RLPL by Chester Barrie suits? I believe the model was called the Douglas.

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pics??? Would love to see this bad boy...........

fwedo

Reaction score
Concerning PL pants, I have seen 3 references of cut :

- Madison : very large
- Harrison : normal cut to me, even if it is described as slim straight. True to size.
- Eaton : it's described as straight slim fit on the website, but harrison also and and harrison cut is definitely not a slim straight fit. Never try Eaton cut.

any other information on Purple label pants sizing ?

spence

Reaction score
Anyone know the maker for this RLPL jacket? In the right chest pocket it has a while label stating Ralph Lauren Hand Tailored. The photo is the only tag I see that's not a typical RLPL marking. I don't see what's posted as a usual St. Andews label.

This (image below) is just lightly tacked at the bottom left inside.

Made in Italy retail was 5k. Will be in the classifieds soon.

thanks,

-spence

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question gentlemen. Has anyone seen a Polo II model suit with a N in the model number? I know the difference between the J and B models (J was newer and slimmer if I recall). How about N?

Here is the tag for reference.

I never knew there was a model difference in the same Polo 2 cut.

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the maker for this RLPL jacket? In the right chest pocket it has a while label stating Ralph Lauren Hand Tailored. The photo is the only tag I see that's not a typical RLPL marking. I don't see what's posted as a usual St. Andews label.

This (image below) is just lightly tacked at the bottom left inside.

Made in Italy retail was 5k. Will be in the classifieds soon.

thanks,

-spence

Definitely Caruso

ctp120

Reaction score

Quick question gentlemen. Has anyone seen a Polo II model suit with a N in the model number? I know the difference between the J and B models (J was newer and slimmer if I recall). How about N?

Here is the tag for reference.

I saw this--an italian tag, too, which I've not seen before from PRL. Size is also euro (50) and drop 7. i wonder how the fit is compared to the US market stuff we're familiar with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads