• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

jellyroller

Reaction score
Harvard in dark brown cordovan. Trying out the white sock / Ivy look …

Attachments

• IMG_3321.jpeg
    IMG_3321.jpeg
    453.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3320.jpeg
    IMG_3320.jpeg
    391.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3319.jpeg
    IMG_3319.jpeg
    286.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3318.jpeg
    IMG_3318.jpeg
    320 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3317.jpeg
    IMG_3317.jpeg
    391.5 KB · Views: 76

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
Whiskey Harvard after a dose of Saphir cordovan crème.
View attachment 2182611

Neutral or Fawn cordovan cream Crafty ?
A polish master at a big label shoe store was attempting to scare me recently by saying that applying neutral cream strips the pigment and lightens the colour of the leather. Which seems contrary to the advice that saphir itself gives on its website saying that neutral is the safest choice

lurker33

Reaction score
A polish master at a big label shoe store was attempting to scare me recently by saying that applying neutral cream strips the pigment and lightens the colour of the leather. Which seems contrary to the advice that saphir itself gives on its website saying that neutral is the safest choice
Haven't seen that happen, however last time i applied renovateur on whiskey shell that has gotten a bit wet in the rain, all the rain spots immediately became dark and wouldn't come out again.

I used neutral cordovan cream on the other boot without issuees.

It took me quite some time to get them out again with a bone and a polish cloth. I'm exclusively sticking to neutral cordovan cream now.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I always use neural mate. Some makers apply polish so when you use it it takes an element of “colour” but it’s probably just polish.

Mannion

Reaction score
Is this gap between the lacing too wide? It's already an extra wide shoe so I can only go from 8.5G to 9G or for special orders.
20240514_101021.jpg

Mannion

Reaction score
Do wider shoes have higher insteps?
Is this what is causing it? The shoes feel good apart from that issue. They are brand new, so how much can I expect the gap to close once I break them in? Perhaps it is something I can learn to live with.

shoefan57

Reaction score
Is this what is causing it? The shoes feel good apart from that issue. They are brand new, so how much can I expect the gap to close once I break them in? Perhaps it is something I can learn to live with.
Going up in width gives more room across the vamp, which can help with a foot with a high instep. Going by your photo, I would say the shoes aren’t the best fit for you. But if they feel comfy then do wear them. Derby (Blucher ) shoes would serve you better or experiment with different lasts.

Mannion

Reaction score
Going up in width gives more room across the vamp, which can help with a foot with a high instep. Going by your photo, I would say the shoes aren’t the best fit for you. But if they feel comfy then do wear them. Derby (Blucher ) shoes would serve you better or experiment with different lasts.
When you say the fit isn't good, is it just the instep or other parts as well?
I have very wide feet so there aren't that many options for RTW and these are already the widest C&J offer.

shoefan57

Reaction score
When you say the fit isn't good, is it just the instep or other parts as well?
I have very wide feet so there aren't that many options for RTW and these are already the widest C&J offer.
Only you can tell if the overall fit is good or not - eg are they too tight, is there excessive heel slipping , are they long enough and so on. I was only commenting on your question about the gap in the lacing. It was a good question. You might find Derby like the Bradford works better for you which comes in black and G fit - or did last time I looked.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, wider shoes have more instep room. If they feel good, then it's just an aesthetic thing. It will close a little more as they break in but you obviously have a high instep. You could find a more accommodating last for that if you wish

Rhodia

Reaction score
Yes, wider shoes have more instep room. If they feel good, then it's just an aesthetic thing. It will close a little more as they break in but you obviously have a high instep. You could find a more accommodating last for that if you wish
I've been looking at C&J for a new pair of loafers and an oxford.

For higher instep and arches (and a slightly wider forefoot), what is the general C&J last recommendation?

I've heard positives about the 379 (Connaught II is one I'm looking at) and the 376 seems to be a loafer that might work better than a lower profile one, such as Alden's LHS.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member