1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. alexSF

alexSF Distinguished Member

2. Cleav

Cleav Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored Moderator

You are not going to believe this @alexSF

I have lots of C & J and probably 20% of then come from this source.

I have a contract to provide services to a big organisation in Northampton and go down twice a month to review matters etc.

I like to go on a Friday so I can drop in to the factory shop. I may get lucky and pick up something I want once every two or three months. I really don't need anymore shoes.

What was missing from my rota was a DM so I was prepared to buy from Colmore Row in Birmingham, however I was in Northampton on Friday and these beauties were there.

GB£150, absolute daylight robbery. As you can imagine I was very pleased. I believe there to be nothing wrong with except badged up as size 7, when they are actually 7.5UK, there are no marks or blems at all as far as I can see.

I considered buying the blue Monkton, also at GB£150 but couldn't see where I would put em into a fit. So didn't buy them. I may regret that.

Here's the pics taken on the day, 21st.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. hoit1981

hoit1981 Distinguished Member

Good lord. Next time I'm in Blighty the C&J factory shop will be my first point of call.

4. PCK1

PCK1 Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

I can never set foot there....I would leave with more shoes than I could ever use in my lifetime....

5. Cleav

Glad you're here PCK, saves me clogging up RYS and shoes thread

Blue Monks second shelf third pic.

What say you dear friend?

6. S K M

S K M Senior Member

[​IMG]

Btw, interesting loafers in the lower right corner here:

[​IMG]

I don't recall having seen many C&Js in this shade of leather (and definitely not any loafers) which is really a shame. A pair of double monks in that shade wouldn't be too bad either...

7. Cleav

Yeah SKM loafers aren't my thing but I get what you say. Are those blue Monktons too blue? Not dark enough? I have some suede Carmina black whole cuts on the way so perhaps I could fit this blue in.

I suppose I should look at it this way. I didn't have to think about the tan DMs, they were robocop, to quote our friend @in stitches but couldn't quite feel the same about these.

Maybe I won't regret it.

8. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

not sure about navy DMs, not sure what exactly one would wear with. id kop a black pair first. they made for a great more formal shoe with a bit of fun imo.

9. PCK1

@Cleav - I think I've seen those blue monktons before...they are suede right? They are very very blue...not so dark.

When I was doing some C&J MTO's...I had them send me a whole lot of photos of previous MTO's for inspiration and these were one of the pics.

I think I could only wear this shoe casually....I do love the monkton style...I have 3 pair of them haha.

Me personally, I could pull this shoe off...but definitely not in a formal setting....and even semi-formal...it would have to be the right time/place. Casually with chinos/jeans, etc. though I could wear this pretty easily.

If the price is right it might be worth it. But you might be better off going with something that you know you can get a lot of good use out of...as these shoes definitely require a very specific owner/outfit.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014

10. Cleav

Those are the kiddies, far too royal blue. That pic you posted does the colour justice, thanks.

I have them in different colour and work well which is why I was drawn to them. Glad that my instinct held me back, though at GB£150 not too bad a mistake if I had relented.

On reflection I made the right decision.

Thanks pal/s

11. S K M

S K M Senior Member

Well, to me blue shoes look great (just saw a pair of navy shell double monks on the EG thread and they were [​IMG]), but I'm having a hard time pulling them off myself since I often wear either blue trousers or a blue shirt. Blue shoes with blue trousers would obviously be a no-go (at least for me), and blue shirt with blue shoes would easily look a bit too matchy-matchy. Admitted, though, if it's a light blue shirt and dark navy shoes it would be quite… awesome.

12. PCK1

Yeah...the first time I saw that pic I was kind of shocked by the blue...it really stands out.

I prefer the Lowndes you picked up over these Monkton's any day of the week.

13. S K M

S K M Senior Member

However, unlined blue suede loafers are [​IMG] (at least with shorts and appropriately tanned legs)

14. PCK1

I think they do some really nice MTO Chelseas though. I especially like the burgundy ones. The bluish ones they describe as "navy suede" and I much prefer this color over the royal blue of the monkton's. Not so sure about the green golf grain...I'd have a hard time wearing that...but the other two I could wear...especially the burgundy...could wear them with just about anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Distinguished Member

Getting ready for work tomorrow! [​IMG] [​IMG]