• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're right, C&J wouldn't do shearling for this. Apparently Mr Jones' (as in C&J) reaction when told that EG would do shearling was, " Well, good for Edward Green!".

Suede is fine for rough boots, there are plenty of varieties of heavy and/or waxed suede available and my shearling Galways served me well last winter. Also worth thinking about Cheaney's Irvine brogue boot model (non-veldt, though), which are fully shearling-lined as opposed to just lined in the leg as per the Galway variants:

Thanks for the info Brummie. I might not disregard the suede combo then. But do you know what EG charges for veldtschoen? Preferably I should go for the rough type of leather as well (can't remember the name of it?) and on the 202 last, but not sure if EG does shearling on anything but the 64 last. Anyway, I like the Cheaneys, but I think they're a bit to similar to my Islays (that I will btw have resoled with ridgeway next time they'll need it.

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shearling lined Galways are damned cold not warm enough for walking in a temperature below -5 Celsius. I have it and would advise you to go for anything full shearling lined, not only on shaft.

Good to know, but where can one get a fully shearling lined (quality) boot? I've given Ed Et Al a thought (got two pairs of shoes from them, and they're great value) since they do shearling (not sure if they do fully or only partly lining), but they won't do veldtschoen. So I don't quite know where that leaves me...

CTBrummie

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Brummie. I might not disregard the suede combo then. But do you know what EG charges for veldtschoen? Preferably I should go for the rough type of leather as well (can't remember the name of it?) and on the 202 last, but not sure if EG does shearling on anything but the 64 last. Anyway, I like the Cheaneys, but I think they're a bit to similar to my Islays (that I will btw have resoled with ridgeway next time they'll need it.

EG have four stock veldtschoen models, two of which are (partially) shearling-lined (walnut country calf and mink suede, and rosewood country calf with tobacco suede). They also do non-lined versions in almond and rosewood country calf. They will only do veldts on the 64 last.

It's a shame that C&J won't work with shearling but I decided that I wanted these for year-round use anyway as I needed some more casual boots for weekend wear:

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EG have four stock veldtschoen models, two of which are (partially) shearling-lined (walnut country calf and mink suede, and rosewood country calf with tobacco suede). They also do non-lined versions in almond and rosewood country calf. They will only do veldts on the 64 last.

It's a shame that C&J won't work with shearling but I decided that I wanted these for year-round use anyway as I needed some more casual boots for weekend wear:

Wow Brummie, they're certainly ideal for that use - actually now I find myself wondering if I need a similar pair. Hmm…

As regard the Galway I think I would go for a MTO in almond country calf (or a similar colour in their die hard-leather) and tobacco suede, veldt and shearling. But I reckon it would probably be around a 1000 pounds… But maybe I should try to wip up some interest on the EG forum, and see if we could get ourselves a group price (though I have promised myself to try my luck with some Alderleys in Edwardian Antique first thing).

Last edited:

sdolina

Reaction score
Wow Brummie, they're certainly ideal for that use - actually now I find myself wondering if I need a similar pair. Hmm…

As regard the Galway I think I would go for a MTO in almond country calf (or a similar colour in their die hard-leather) and tobacco suede, veldt and shearling. But I reckon it would probably be around a 1000 pounds… But maybe I should try to wip up some interest on the EG forum, and see if we could get ourselves a group price (though I have promised myself to try my luck with some Alderleys in Edwardian Antique first thing).

If you are ready to pay 1000 pounds then just ask Vass or Maftei for the boots you want, it will cost you less. Although don't know how much they charge for the shearling and veldtschoen.

CTBrummie

Reaction score
They won't have the machinery for the veldtschoen though. Not many places do and I don't know of any outside of England as the 'welted veldtschoen' build is an English thing...

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the best shoe polish to use on a pair of Selbourne Chestnut Antique Calf shoes and where can it be purchased?

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[COLOR=222222]What is the best shoe polish to use on a pair of Selbourne [/COLOR][COLOR=222222]Chestnut Antique Calf shoes and where can it be purchased?[/COLOR]

I have the Somerville in the same color- the handgrade chestnut antique- as opposed to the burnished chestnut benchgrade color, which is quite different. I use Saphir mahogany. I have gotten it from Kirby Allison's Hanger Project and A Suitable Wardrobe Store, but there are plenty of other good sources.

kaizo

Reaction score
My first ever pair of C and J. Bit surprising considering my entire family is a C and J fan.

Connaught in black calf. Unfortunately I've failed to do the polishing properly near the heel but hopefully i can fix that later. :)

labravajazz

Reaction score
Love those !

Great combination

Just out of interest as its related in some ways, anyone seen these ?

Staffer18283

Reaction score
Does anyone have the Courtenay ? Want to pull the trigger but would like to heard any views and hopefully any pics of how it wears and creases with time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads