** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

2. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

It's a veldtschoen stitch-down construction with two uppers - the inner upper is welted as normal and the outer upper is turned out and stitched directly to the midsole. That, combined with thick leather and a half-bellows tongue, makes the boot as waterproof as you'll ever get with a leather boot like this. Kicks a poxy storm welt into touch!

3. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Thanks, hoit. Now I just need the whiskey MTO to arrive to increase my C&J collection to a big three. I'm kind of surprised others haven't posted about taking advantage of that Barneys' sale.

4. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Really liking those CTB. What was the impetus behind this MTO? To be used for a specific purpose? Also, what does C&J charge for an individual MTO, if I may ask?

5. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Cheers, the pics I'll take over the weekend will be a vast improvement on the ones I've posted.

The first C&J boots I owned were the limited edition rough-out Arran boots that they sold in their UK shops a few years ago. The boots were basically cut on the Snowdon pattern but on the 365 last instead of the 228, and with a standard tongue and storm welt instead of veldtschoen construction. I also bought a larger size than I should have, too.

I loved the Arrans to bits but they were never quite what I would have wanted them to be as I learnt more about decent footwear. So I decided to bite the bullet and get a pair made that totally covered my wants and needs...I toyed with the idea of contrasting leathers and whatever but ultimately stuck as close as I could to the original design, only changing the construction, size and last.

They weren't cheap at all (£700) but I covered most of the cost by some judicious eBaying (including the original Arran boots) and, at ten weeks, the turnaround time was a lot more bearable than whatever the jokers at EG are offering at the moment...

6. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Thanks for the info. I like how you really put thought into the function these boots were to have and to put the requirements into the details of the makeup. Very well done! For myself, I am buying a lot less on emotion and less impulsively. I haven't done an individual MTO yet but you set a good example of how to do it.

7. theundeadkennedy

theundeadkennedy Senior member

These are dope!

8. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Colour in the fourth pic is most accurate.

To say I'm happy with these would be a slight understatement.

9. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

10. S K M

S K M Senior member

Brummie, love those! I need some winter boots as well, but with shearling lining for the really cold days. Since I understand C&J won't do shearling, I've been contemplating a pair of galways in country calf and suede with shearling, ridgeway and veldtschoen. However, not sure if the suede part will be any good for a pair of rough and water-resistant boots, but with some nano protector it might work. I'm also afraid that EG will charge me a minor fortune for doing veldtschoen, but we'll see. Anyway, wear yours in good health!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  11. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Senior member

WoW! very nice boots, love them. Congratulations and enjoy

12. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

And thanks, again. Too many times I've seen outlandish MTOs (or 'special orders' in C&J-speak for a one-off) where it seems that the maximum impact of the finished product was the driving force behind the creation of the design. I toyed with the idea of having the sides of the boot leg done in heavy waxed loden green nubuck but decided that i wanted the whole boot to 'distress' as had my Arrans.

It was wearing the Arrans on a summer paintballing trip that sent me over the edge when some muddy water got into the boots and made me think again about how much more I would've loved the boots if they'd been veldtschoen and therefore more suited to stuff like that.

Definitely a case of getting exactly what I wanted.

You're right, C&J wouldn't do shearling for this. Apparently Mr Jones' (as in C&J) reaction when told that EG would do shearling was, " Well, good for Edward Green!".

Suede is fine for rough boots, there are plenty of varieties of heavy and/or waxed suede available and my shearling Galways served me well last winter. Also worth thinking about Cheaney's Irvine brogue boot model (non-veldt, though), which are fully shearling-lined as opposed to just lined in the leg as per the Galway variants:

[​IMG]

13. sdolina

sdolina Senior member

Shearling lined Galways are damned cold not warm enough for walking in a temperature below -5 Celsius. I have it and would advise you to go for anything full shearling lined, not only on shaft.

14. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Now in MI, I realize that none of my boots are as good as for tech boots (Columbia) for really cold and icy days. There's just is a point for me when I just say screw it! Man, I miss NYC already...

15. K. Nights

K. Nights Senior member

Are Shipton & Heneage's shoes by C&J made to the same standard as C&J's other shoes?