• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^They're most likely Loake, who have made shoes for CT for some time.

The 'amazing' reductions on that site are pretty much permanent features...

True. CT's pricing is curious. A case can be made that a reduction that is essentially (or, in some cases, literally) permanent is no reduction at all.

jns425

Reaction score
Sorry to add another sizing question...

I have weird feet. I usually wear a wide in USA made shoes. For laced shoes (when the length is perfect) I need wide for the toe area, but then a lot of times they kinda bow out at the sides of my feet, which is usually solved by lacing up tighter. Wide in loafers usually fit me pretty well.

My first foray into English shoes - will I be able to fit in C&J? I sure hope so, because I love how they look! Is it a situation where they might feel very snug at first, but will stretch out? The loafers may fit me better? Or maybe sizing up 1/2 a size or so?

I'll be in London in mid-2013, so I'll be able to try on before I buy for sure, I was hoping to pick up a couple pairs of shoes...

Specifically I like:
Edgeware on the 348
Hallam on the 348 (in suede)
Langham 2 loafer on the 341
Cavendish loafer on the 325

Any input? Thanks guys...

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have weird feet. I usually wear a wide in USA made shoes. For laced shoes (when the length is perfect) I need wide for the toe area, but then a lot of times they kinda bow out at the sides of my feet, which is usually solved by lacing up tighter. Wide in loafers usually fit me pretty well.
Specifically I like:
Edgeware on the 348
Cavendish loafer on the 325

348 is a narrow last in my experience. You may have trouble with it.

Reaction score

My first foray into English shoes - will I be able to fit in C&J? I sure hope so, because I love how they look! Is it a situation where they might feel very snug at first, but will stretch out? The loafers may fit me better? Or maybe sizing up 1/2 a size or so?

Specifically I like:
Edgeware on the 348
Cavendish loafer on the 325

I find that the 348 last is quite roomy over the ball and narrow over the instep. I am a 8.5 wide - 9 regular/wide type of guy and I cannot wear my 9E 348's because they are excessively roomy over the ball. Meanwhile, if I size down to 8.5 regular on the 348, the lacing is impossible to close properly on Oxfords, because my arches are too high.

jns425

Reaction score
Great! Thanks for the help guys. Your comments make me hopeful to find a pair of C & J!

Berg

Reaction score
my shoes are for sale . for more pictures let me know. See post 2812. I want suede high boots. Maybe someone can giude me with that.

By the way. : what means SUB on a shoebox and second. In these shoes are not written a name and on the box is nothing written ?

Last edited:

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in the US and am considering the C&J Harvard penny loafer in either dark brown or whiskey shell cordovan. A few questions:
  1. I'm aware of Pediwear and Bodileys of Northampton stocking dark brown, and Ben Silver stocking burgundy and whiskey. Presumably C&J NY carries some of the colors. Are there any other retailers I should be aware of?
  2. Pediwear and Bodileys of Northampton are cheaper than Ben Silver, but is it worth the risk of possibly needing to return, and maybe also unknown shipping charges when they get to the US (I have in mind the Frans Boone, etc. stories)?
  3. I hate sizing questions as much as everyone else (PM me if you prefer), but any feedback on the fit of these would be appreciated. I'm an 11 D Alden barrie, I think 11 C Alden van, 11.5 D AE 5 last, and an 11.5 in the C&J for RL Marlow wingtip (unsure of the last).

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Arrans from Barney's. Still waiting for the navy suede Lowndes.

Last edited:

Ian L

Reaction score
Sorry to bother guys, here's a sizing issue. I got 2 pair of CJ Cottesmore, in 9.5 and 10. Wearing 9.5 is like putting feet into two dies that I can hardly move my feet (but look plump, cool). For size 10, everything feels movable and they give a space for almost 1 finger around heel, but look less plump.

Should I keep size 9.5 and wait for the shell to stretch out? Or should I keep size 10 and let the leather shell comply to the shape of my feet?

Again, sorry for bothering!!

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw this on the bottom of J. Crew's email:
Discounts are not valid on purchases of the following: baby merchandise; men's suiting, Barbour
00ae.png
, nanamica
00ae.png
, Corgi
2122.png
, Mougin & Piquard
2122.png
, Alden
00ae.png
, Crockett & Jones
00ae.png

I know they had some C&J in the past but anything recently?

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I live in the US and am considering the C&J Harvard penny loafer in either dark brown or whiskey shell cordovan. A few questions:
  1. I'm aware of Pediwear and Bodileys of Northampton stocking dark brown, and Ben Silver stocking burgundy and whiskey. Presumably C&J NY carries some of the colors. Are there any other retailers I should be aware of?
  2. Pediwear and Bodileys of Northampton are cheaper than Ben Silver, but is it worth the risk of possibly needing to return, and maybe also unknown shipping charges when they get to the US (I have in mind the Frans Boone, etc. stories)?
  3. I hate sizing questions as much as everyone else (PM me if you prefer), but any feedback on the fit of these would be appreciated. I'm an 11 D Alden barrie, I think 11 C Alden van, 11.5 D AE 5 last, and an 11.5 in the C&J for RL Marlow wingtip (unsure of the last).

UK10.5E
or
UK10.5D

I prefer my loafers snug so I would go D width, but I assume gettng a D width may be a tall order.

I have made a return to Pediwear. It cost $45-ish in return shipping.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads