• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X-Post from the Shell Cordovan Thread:

dsc_0290-jpg.931327

The Original C&J Warlow in Whiskey Shell Cordovan

Happy Saturday!

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
If I recall, the ‘classic’ trees are made from birchwood. The narrower option are limewood according to the website. The only place I know that sells either are Crockett & Jones themselves at £60 a pop. However, I must confess, as an owner of 6 pairs of Crockett & Jones shoes, I only have one pair of Crockett & Jones shoe trees. They don’t work well at all with a majority of them. Many of my shoes would go better with the narrower shoe tress they have available, but I just use £20 cedar shoe trees that I buy on Amazon.

Cheers for that input as well. Could you provide a link to a shoe tree (cedar) you would recommend for a pair of UK6 C&J Chiltern chukka shoe?

Nat Jag

Reaction score
@Nat Jag I appriciate your reply. Which one (cedar) would you recommend for C&J? If you have an online place i can order as well i would be very happy.

I'd try either of these. Second link is loake which you may find elsewhere as well. I'm not sure where you live, you may even find some local to you. The loake ones are I think the same as the ones I have in my c&j brecon chukkas. Mine are from cheaney, which currently have my c&j trees. The cheaney trees didn't fit great in the cheaney shoes. The ring on the top annoys me.

https://www.herringshoes.co.uk/herring/herring-cedar-tree/cedar
https://www.loake.co.uk/shoe-trees.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvKDQ97q_2QIVSzobCh3xYwdUEAAYASAAEgJSv_D_BwE

I
did supply a link also to some c&j shoes trees, if you really want to get them. But in my chukkas, they are a pain in the rear end to put in and remove.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts regarding the Draycott II derby style? There wasn't much talking about it (could be for a reason), and hardly any images are to be found online, especially the one on the feet ..

This style was made on the 317 last, and now the CJ web site says it's made on the 341 last, though I am fairly certain the current library image bellow is still showing this style on the old 317 last. (341 is not that round) ..

https://www.crockettandjones.com/collections/mens/derbys/draycott-2-chestnut-calf-g/

What would you team this style with? I like the simplicity and overall look though I am worried it could be too formal for a casual wear and too loud for a formal wear ..

draycott-2-6087-11b-1.jpg

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@wurger , @jssdc , @turtounet

Thanks for commenting .. I thought of primarily teaming them with some jeans and chinos, along with a sweater/shirt for a relaxed day look .. Also, throwing them in periodically with a casual Spring/Summer blazer/shirt outfit ..

The Belgrave Oxford on the other side is a hand grade Oxford style (very nice one). I am just not sure if I can pull off the classic Oxford shoe like that with just a jeans/shirt or with a more casual look ..

It always felt a bit dislodged to me to see a guy wearing the Oxfords with just a sweater/chinos .. It's like they are demanding the proper trousers and a jacket/suit .. Or it's just me with all that ..

jssdc

Reaction score
@wurger , @jssdc , @turtounet

Thanks for commenting .. I thought of primarily teaming them with some jeans and chinos, along with a sweater/shirt for a relaxed day look .. Also, throwing them in periodically with a casual Spring/Summer blazer/shirt outfit ..

The Belgrave Oxford on the other side is a hand grade Oxford style (very nice one). I am just not sure if I can pull off the classic Oxford shoe like that with just a jeans/shirt or with a more casual look ..

It always felt a bit dislodged to me to see a guy wearing the Oxfords with just a sweater/chinos .. It's like they are demanding the proper trousers and a jacket/suit .. Or it's just me with all that ..

I also have the chestnut Belgrave and probably wouldn’t wear them with jeans or chinos (although I don’t own any of the latter so I suppose i don’t know). I wear them all the time with odd jackets and trousers, since I don’t really care that the Oxford closure theoretically makes them more formal, and the color definitely makes them less so.

For what you’re talking about I’d think about a plain toe derby like the Newquay or Vass 1067 (previously known as the “London derby” before Vass went to a numeric naming convention)

1067-f-dark_cognac_calf-single_sole.jpg

D0FA467A-3F06-4814-9387-5F6803C28ABA.jpeg

Last edited:

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also have the chestnut Belgrave and probably wouldn’t wear them with jeans or chinos (although I don’t own any of the latter so I suppose i don’t know). I wear them all the time with odd jackets and trousers, since I don’t really care that the Oxford closure theoretically makes them more formal, and the color definitely makes them less so.

For what you’re talking about I’d think about a plain toe derby like the Newquay or Vass 1067 (previously known as the “London derby” before Vass went to a numeric naming convention)

1067-f-dark_cognac_calf-single_sole.jpg

View attachment 931682

Thanks for your thoughts! I was considering the Newquay as well especially since they are on the same last, though they, at least visually, appears too elongated for me. Could be that the punch toe cap on the Draycott is making a good balance for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads