• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are just beautiful! Hopefully your picture will convince a few more people to sign up to one of the two Whiskey Lindricks GMTOs. Preferably the double leather sole one. ;)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bZ6_ctp_ElaAqFORjMMnwLZw_BRkxZV59z6rk5SvZhk

I've got the brown Lindrick shell in double leather and this one in dainite. I would have preferred they both be on double leather, but let me suggest to you to jump on whichever one fills up first. They are both great, and missing an opportunity at this beautiful boot is just not cool!

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good lord those look fantastic! I too hope the GMTO gets a kick in the pants. I’m on the list for dainite but would certainly go for double leather.

you being a shoe guy too, in terms of you've got gobs of shoes, know that feeling when a pair of shoes just brings you joy when you wear a certain shoe right? This boot is one of those for me; I just really like wearing them, first they are really comfortable, and second they look amazing. It's funny the looks other guys give them when I'm walking down the halls in the Pentagon, they sort of catch themselves staring at them...lol

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you being a shoe guy too, in terms of you've got gobs of shoes, know that feeling when a pair of shoes just brings you joy when you wear a certain shoe right? This boot is one of those for me; I just really like wearing them, first they are really comfortable, and second they look amazing. It's funny the looks other guys give them when I'm walking down the halls in the Pentagon, they sort of catch themselves staring at them...lol
Oh I know that feeling. I’m going to try to nudge some folks along to get these made. Daddy needs a new pair of boots!

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E1666347-CC27-4E65-BCA7-7441BEDBD266.jpeg

This weather is ridiculous.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually I could remove all of it using only saddle soap. Have done it many times to shoes, but only darker colors, because remoisturizing is a must after that....
Hmph, I didn't know that, I thought it took much stronger stuff (solvents and such). Learn something new every day, thanks for sharing!

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmph, I didn't know that, I thought it took much stronger stuff (solvents and such). Learn something new every day, thanks for sharing!

keep in mind, it is a pretty extreme measure to use that method. When I was in the military and my shoes had been polished so many times the black polish was just caked on, I would take them down to almost nothing really. Just re-moisturize with neatsfoot oil, and after a few days start back the polish build up. I also do it with my beater boots; not something I would do to the boots I photograph on here though :)

Guerdal

Reaction score
Ahh, ok, that makes sense. Essentially undoing someone else's aftermarket darkening is doable. As I understand it, and there are some threads on this, getting the factory finish off can be done but takes a more work - think "stripping' - and risk.

Yep, that's my point - you don't want to buy a new pair of Islay's to try and take off the factory finish and recolor them from scratch, unless you've got money to burn. And you're not going to get them lightened appreciably by just saddle soaping, the finish is intended to resist wear. You'd do better exposing them to a lot of sunlight which, as I understand it, lightens things up a lot but very slowly, gradually over time.

No worries there - not going to attempt such a thing. Just wanted to learn and see the result.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads