• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick question about pants waist size

PolePosition

Reaction score
Hi. I'm not sure how to ask this but in what relation should slacks/trousers' waist size be to my measured waist size?

Let me preface this by saying that my waist I just found out measures to be 35". This shocked me as I've been wearing pants that have been measured 33-34" in the waist (true measured size, not just tagged size) for so many years. Then I put on multiple pairs of pants and noticed that I have to pull a little to button the buttons together but since my jeans and khaki's have somewhat elastic waistbands I've never really noticed it since they fit me comfortably.

So what is the proper way to be sized? Should I be buying waist size 35" pants and have zero effort in lining the buttons/clip up? Or should be getting waist size 34" since surely fabrics can stretch an inch like I've been doing for so long without noticing. Or do dress pants fabric have less elasticity?

Mainly I'm asking because a) Want nice pants to fit properly and b) Want to order slacks/trousers online without the benefit of trying them on in person

Thanks!

yo!

Reaction score
Most guys wear their pants too low and therefore think that they are a smaller waist size.

It is a simple effect of low rise pants and/or having a gut.

Real pants will sit just below (normal rise) or on top of (high rise) the navel.

PolePosition

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yo!
Most guys wear their pants too low and therefore think that they are a smaller waist size.

It is a simple effect of low rise pants and/or having a gut.

Real pants will sit just below (normal rise) or on top of (high rise) the navel.

I have a gut
frown.gif
so I have to wear my pants below it. But yes when I meant measuring my waist I meant measuring about 2" below the navel which is where my pants sit.....so the question is, when closing up properly fitting pants, should the buttons line up without me pulling (meaning I should actually be getting 35" waist pants) or should I be expected to pull them close, meaning I should be getting 34" and just pull that extra inch to button them up.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sounds like they are too small...You should be able to close them without struggle even with a shirt tucked in. Pants look weird when they are obviously too tight. I like dress pants to fit a tad loose untucked and when tucked I don't need a belt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics