• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Quick question about pants waist size

PolePosition

Reaction score
Hi. I'm not sure how to ask this but in what relation should slacks/trousers' waist size be to my measured waist size?

Let me preface this by saying that my waist I just found out measures to be 35". This shocked me as I've been wearing pants that have been measured 33-34" in the waist (true measured size, not just tagged size) for so many years. Then I put on multiple pairs of pants and noticed that I have to pull a little to button the buttons together but since my jeans and khaki's have somewhat elastic waistbands I've never really noticed it since they fit me comfortably.

So what is the proper way to be sized? Should I be buying waist size 35" pants and have zero effort in lining the buttons/clip up? Or should be getting waist size 34" since surely fabrics can stretch an inch like I've been doing for so long without noticing. Or do dress pants fabric have less elasticity?

Mainly I'm asking because a) Want nice pants to fit properly and b) Want to order slacks/trousers online without the benefit of trying them on in person

Thanks!

yo!

Reaction score
Most guys wear their pants too low and therefore think that they are a smaller waist size.

It is a simple effect of low rise pants and/or having a gut.

Real pants will sit just below (normal rise) or on top of (high rise) the navel.

PolePosition

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yo!
Most guys wear their pants too low and therefore think that they are a smaller waist size.

It is a simple effect of low rise pants and/or having a gut.

Real pants will sit just below (normal rise) or on top of (high rise) the navel.

I have a gut
so I have to wear my pants below it. But yes when I meant measuring my waist I meant measuring about 2" below the navel which is where my pants sit.....so the question is, when closing up properly fitting pants, should the buttons line up without me pulling (meaning I should actually be getting 35" waist pants) or should I be expected to pull them close, meaning I should be getting 34" and just pull that extra inch to button them up.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sounds like they are too small...You should be able to close them without struggle even with a shirt tucked in. Pants look weird when they are obviously too tight. I like dress pants to fit a tad loose untucked and when tucked I don't need a belt.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 28 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 257 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 124 15.7%
  • 31 - 40