• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality suit for young guy

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by X-Calibre
Am I the only one that would like the term "young guy" changed to "slim guy" in the title?

Grumble, Grumble . . .

That's part of the sentiment I was trying to get at- there are plenty of older men who are slim, but they don't generally dress in a way that exagerates the obvious. When I started my career, I wanted to look older and emulate my seniors- not emphasize that I was the opposite. It's my perception that that's not the norm anymore.

Keon

Reaction score
I like Jack Victor and Joseph Abboud's price point. Or are they not specifically "young" enough for a young guy? Basically I see price point and young guy as interconnected, usually.

X-Calibre

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taxler
That's part of the sentiment I was trying to get at- there are plenty of older men who are slim, but they don't generally dress in a way that exagerates the obvious. When I started my career, I wanted to look older and emulate my seniors- not emphasize that I was the opposite. It's my perception that that's not the norm anymore.

Yeah either that or I'm mad that I'm young and fat :p

When I was in much, much better shape than I am now, I would cruise the town trying to show off as much as possible while still grasping onto some semblance of dignity (the pursuit of women brings out the best and worst in us all, THANK GOD :p). I'm talking tight shirts, jeans and so on. For better or worse, suits did not come up very often in my social circle.

I'm not quite to the point of complaining about going to work in the snow, uphill, both ways, but I just thought the idea of being quite young and dropping serious money on a Black Label suit was a bit odd. I more expected this to be a thread about an inexpensive full canvas suit. Though, now I know about Thick As Thieves, and that's a good result.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
Go to Holts, Ogilvies and Rosen at sale time, you should be able to find a 38S on sale from one of their trendy brands, these will fit you the best. Even on sale they are usually around 700 min. for a decent enttry level quality brand, so I'm not sure how this fits your budget.

A short? I wouldn't suggest a short to 5'10". Also, trendier brands have been cutting the jackets short, so even with a regular, he might end up looking like he's wearing a boy's jacket.

Franky In T.O.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ml77

I know that Hugo Boss is not the best quality you can get but I absolutely loved the cut. I am young and after shopping for some time I did not see anything fitting that well. I think it's because most overcoat are not made for people in their 20s.

I guess buying an overcoat from Hugo Boss is less "unforgivable" than a suit. I will soon need a new suit, an excellent one that will last for years.

Why is buying a Boss suit "unforgiveable"? At the price point, I'd say they are some of the best suits for young fit men. Sure there are "better" suits... but you're paying significantly more for a Brioni or Zegna. Hugo Boss is a more contemporary style and at around $1,000 or so, I'd say they are reasonably priced. Even better if you get one on sale.

You said you want a suit that will last for years... will you be wearing it very often for years or on occassion for years? If very often, perhaps saving up for a higher end suit will have a lower cost per wear.

beansprouts1

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Franky In T.O.
Why is buying a Boss suit "unforgiveable"? At the price point, I'd say they are some of the best suits for young fit men. Sure there are "better" suits... but you're paying significantly more for a Brioni or Zegna. Hugo Boss is a more contemporary style and at around $1,000 or so, I'd say they are reasonably priced. Even better if you get one on sale.

You said you want a suit that will last for years... will you be wearing it very often for years or on occassion for years? If very often, perhaps saving up for a higher end suit will have a lower cost per wear.

im about the same dimensions as the op, and the bosses, even the HUGO don't fit very well. in addition, the BB fitz at 1000 is a much better fit and better material.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beansprouts1
im about the same dimensions as the op, and the bosses, even the HUGO don't fit very well. in addition, the BB fitz at 1000 is a much better fit and better material.
BB Fitz and Regents are $500 right now. I'm trying to stop myself from buying two more suits in the interests of placating my girlfriend. They really are a good line for a slim youngish guy.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
Ummm, Brioni - seriously? You're looking at many thousands of dollars. Even the big NYC discount store sells them for $2499. And they're anything but the slim/modern fit.

Ermenegildo Zegna would also be very tough to find at that price point, unless it's in a weird color or size. Plus they aren't cut any better for young people. Look at their lower line, Z-Zegna as they'll be cut thinner and they are cheaper (though made in Mexico, not Italy).

Filenes has the top Zenga Label suits in every size in a gorgeous charcoal pinstripe for $599, reduced from $2,500.

GloStiX

Reaction score
I'm slim and short (5'7") and a poor student to boot.

How low does RLBL ever get on sale?

And are there any drop-8 RTW's <$500?

ml77

Reaction score
I don't think I am going to buy it at this price. I will wait for deeper sale after Christmas. If it's not available any more too bad because it fits really well. Well, it's still a lot of money for a student.

To reply to a few posts:
I think RLBL is not canvassed. And full retail price was about 1800-2000 CAD.
Hugo Boss propose very nice clothes indeed, specially well fitted. When I said "unforgivable" I was just referring to some posts on this forum where this brand seems to be considered inferior. I believe it's still better than most of the stuff out there.
About the young guy/slim guy thing, for me young and slim is not equal to only slim. Because many of these trendier lines like Black Label at RL or Hugo at Boss are really designed differently. The lapels are narrower, the waist is lower, it does not feel like something a 50 yo man would wear and would like to wear. In addition I have put "young guy" in the title because it concerns also the price tag like some of you mentioned.

Thanks for all the others for their advice and their tips.
Unfortunately most of the great deals are found in the US (eg Zegna $600)... And I don't feel like ordering a suit online without trying it on a few times.

chrome_dout

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ml77
I don't think I am going to buy it at this price. I will wait for deeper sale after Christmas. If it's not available any more too bad because it fits really well. Well, it's still a lot of money for a student.

If you're going to wait until after Christmas I would say your best bet is the US. From what I see in Toronto the sales and economic uncertainty isn't as rough here, which translates into less deals.
smile.gif

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just want to echo all the sentiment on Thick as Thieves. The price is amazing for the quality and his customer service is unparalleled. I am already considering purchasing a second suit from him. I will also note that I've good experiences at Brooks Brothers as well, however, I would consider the Regent line rather than the Fitzgerald if you're looking for a contemporary cut (side vents, pick-stitching and slimmer trousers than the Fitzgerald).

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black Label is fully canvassed. If the style is right for you you can shop around. Hugo Boss suits are ok. No way in hell I'd pay $1000 for one. I probably wouldn't even pay $500. There are better suits for the price. However, your options are going to be limited if you need a brand that's readily available in a retail store.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads