• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality suit for young guy

ml77

Reaction score
Today at Holt Renfrew I saw a Canali suit navy blue with pinstripes at 850 CA$ (less than 700 USD). It's my size although it will need a few alterations at the waist since the drop 6 isn't enough.

Is it a good deal?

ml77

Reaction score
It's funny you are talking about Ralph Lauren Black Label because I just tried on 2 of them today and indeed they fit perfectly. I have never seen a suit fitting me that well. The price is 1,100 CA$. Should I go for it? Are there any online stores that have an extensive choice of RLBL at lower prices?

beansprouts1

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
i've never seen an online store other than ralphlauren.com to have the black label. its also cheaper in stores, online its 1300 US i think, but at my ralph lauren its 1100 US. i've also seen them at saks. they were 700 during that insane sale, i went and saw the last 38 taken right bfore my eyes, wanted to kill the bastard but he was probably another SF member lol. anyways, i would wait maybe till after christmas, i talked with a store manager just today and he told me next sale will be after xmas.

ml77

Reaction score
It's navy blue with grey pinstripes at Holtrenfrew Montreal. They may have it in Toronto as well.

By the way, can you confirm RLBL is fused?

Thanks

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought RLBL was fully canvassed as they are often held in high regard on SF.

By all means, go for RLBL if you can afford it. It's a very nice branch of RL and it seems like you fit nicely into it's demographic (young, fit, etc).

Not sure on where exactly to get the best deals but sometimes RLBL pops up on the Buying and Selling forum along with eBay, so it depends on your size.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RL Black Label is always a good choice for someone who's young and fit/slim. If you want to save a few bucks, you might want to check out eHaberdasher's new Bejamin line:

http://store.ehaberdasher.com/Catego...g.Oem=Benjamin

Ben is a forum member and provides excellent customer service. Going this route will be a good way to build up your basic suit wardrobe without breaking the bank.

Taxler

Reaction score
I understand why a young thin person might want to dress in a way that emphasizes those attributes in a social context and among their own age group, but is it assumed that dressing that way in a professional context has the same benefits?

beansprouts1

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
i think the definition of slim fit has a lot of leeway. on one hand, RLBL is a fitted suit for skinnier people. to say that this look is unprofessional is to say that skinny people can't be professional. on the other hand, the RLBL suit can also be worn as a slim fit suit by not-so-skinny people. in that case, i would say its more of a fashion piece than a professional suit.

X-Calibre

Reaction score
Am I the only one that would like the term "young guy" changed to "slim guy" in the title?

Grumble, Grumble . . .

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ml77
Thanks for the tips! Regarding my budget, I would say it's about $500-700 but I will go up to 1000 for an excellent brand.

LVoer, any specific brand?

I am going to look for RLBL, Holt Renfrew in Montreal has Ralph Lauren, don't know about Black Label though.

What about Brioni, Attolini, Zegna...? Is it out of reach for me?

Thanks

Brooks Brothers 1818 line is on sale right now (2 for $1000). Both the Regent and Fitzgerald cuts flatter a slim frame, and would look good on a young guy. Neither are the extreme pinched cuts of some Italian designers, but both will likely survive many seasons of trends.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads