• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Protect Ya Neck: Shirt Collars, Knots and Balance

smartie-pants

Reaction score
Thoughts here?

(Forgive the limited view of the collar as I just stumbled onto this thread this morning and already had these photos on file. The shirts and blazers were recent bespoke commissions for s/s.)

Attachments

• IMG_8268.jpeg
    IMG_8268.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8265.jpeg
    IMG_8265.jpeg
    274.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8262.jpeg
    IMG_8262.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_8259.jpeg
    IMG_8259.jpeg
    346 KB · Views: 96

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts here?

(Forgive the limited view of the collar as I just stumbled onto this thread this morning and already had these photos on file. The shirts and blazers were recent bespoke commissions for s/s.)
Just curious who's your Bespoke maker?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thoughts here?

Really can’t tell anything about the collars here or balance/proportions.

As for the combinations. Personally I don’t like shirts being darker than jackets.

stephen nyc

Reaction score
Anyone know a good site to buy off the rack - a semi spread with an elongated collar such as this? Thank you
49BD10FA-4298-4D2E-B03C-9D060DC083DA.jpeg

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thoughts here?

Really can’t tell anything about the collars here or balance/proportions.

As for the combinations. Personally I don’t like shirts being darker than jackets.

Agree. I think one shoulder, no face, no tie, unbuttoned isn't helpful. It's a certain style of insta shot that doesn't tell much about what it looks like I'm real life.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread is getting..granular, in a useful way for me. I’ll share my evolving viewpoint in this area. I have a big, triangularly shaped, head, so had followed the standard thinking and would usually wear a spread collar with a tie so that the horizontal collar would balance the long vertical of the face.

Some things have changed over the last couple of years. I wear ties less often. More important, I lost 25+ pounds, so my neck is thinner. And I suddenly noticed, for the first time perhaps, that I have quite a long neck. The long, thinner, neck is not my best feature. So I have gotten into the habit of wearing a lot more OCBD’s, to raise the collar line to reduce the neck length, and also because the OCBD’s stand up much better when wearing tailoring without a tie.

There are some compromises involved. The more vertical OCBD profile doesn’t provide as good a balance to the long face as the spread collar does, and the OCBD can be a bit of a stretch when I wear Northern Italian tailoring, Gianni Agnelli’s tastes to the contrary notwithstanding.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know a good site to buy off the rack - a semi spread with an elongated collar such as this? Thank you View attachment 1889403
Tom Ford is the only one that comes to mind off top of my head - His “point” is closer to a semi-spread IMO. But by the time you’re dropping 6-700 on a poplin shirt why not go bespoke and get something from a maker who can design you your own collar (and probably provide a better fit)
This thread is getting..granular, in a useful way for me. I’ll share my evolving viewpoint in this area. I have a big, triangularly shaped, head, so had followed the standard thinking and would usually wear a spread collar with a tie so that the horizontal collar would balance the long vertical of the face.

Some things have changed over the last couple of years. I wear ties less often. More important, I lost 25+ pounds, so my neck is thinner. And I suddenly noticed, for the first time perhaps, that I have quite a long neck. The long, thinner, neck is not my best feature. So I have gotten into the habit of wearing a lot more OCBD’s, to raise the collar line to reduce the neck length, and also because the OCBD’s stand up much better when wearing tailoring without a tie.

There are some compromises involved. The more vertical OCBD profile doesn’t provide as good a balance to the long face as the spread collar does, and the OCBD can be a bit of a stretch when I wear Northern Italian tailoring, Gianni Agnelli’s tastes to the contrary notwithstanding.
This is kind of an interesting consideration - I sort of wonder how much a collar plays in with geometry when worn unbuttoned when you can sort of default to the V from the button, up to help provide balance and if it might make the spread more forgiving. Another option to explore would be a one-piece collar - During the summer I swap button downs for one piece collars with casual looks worn without a tie.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom Ford is the only one that comes to mind off top of my head - His “point” is closer to a semi-spread IMO. But by the time you’re dropping 6-700 on a poplin shirt why not go bespoke and get something from a maker who can design you your own collar (and probably provide a better fit)

Thats like....2 good bespoke shirts lol.

Tom Ford belongs firmly in the "why pay less" douche camp.

Enfusia

Reaction score
Ya, I in theory want to "like" or "use" a spread collar more, if anything because it appears to part of the "received wisdom" of styleforum.

If I were to theorize, I might say that has something to do with the fact that most of the people who are comfortable posting full body photos are smaller than I am and most have longer and/or smaller faces.

I don't post many photos here, for many reasons, but this discussion I like, and face shape is kinda central. I just took this. This is a very long point collar (this is the collar the Carl makes for me, its his shirt) and I think ti fits me well. This is 9 cm Shibumi tie and the lapels on this jacket are about 3.5 in (so roughly in line w/ the tie).

I get my peaks more towards 3.75 in pushing 4, and I prefer my ties to be closer to 3.75 inches, but Shibumi doesn't go above 9 cm.

(Apologies to all who find my sc offensively dandyish).

View attachment 1882255
Great example. This collar does relieve some of the facial roundness where a short stubby spread would look silly.
You also do well with your hair having some volume to add height that elongates your head more.

Just my opinion.

Enfusia

Reaction score
There’s probably more than one way to do this but I find that using one hand to hold the top of the blade in a folded “M” works to set the dimple as the knot is being tightened. Do you do something similar to this?
I have a 7 fold tie that has silk blend that is really difficult to get a dimple on. So, I literally use a pencil to press in the dimple. May sound stupid, but hey, it works.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know a good site to buy off the rack - a semi spread with an elongated collar such as this? Thank you View attachment 1889403

There’s got to be several OTR options that are not Tom Ford….

Sid Mashburn: https://shopmashburn.com/products/s...ress-shirt-blue-bengal-stripe-poplin-s002542d

Spier and MacKay: https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/tessitura-monti---blue---end-on-end-ts-2956-c13f5k-ss22

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spread collars like the ones you posted are definitely aplenty. A really long semi-spread bordering on point like OP asked for is a much more elusive beast.

As @ValidusLA pointed out really early in this thread guys who need a semi-spread or point long enough to tuck under a jacket are pretty much out of luck when it comes to OTR. Obviously any of the MTM or bespoke options can pull it off but he asked for RTW.

Nigel Scott-Williams

Reaction score
I think from a purely knot trying perspective, it shouldn't matter if you start with wide end on the right or left, it will just end up (as you state) with the knot slightly off center in one direction or the other.

My habit is wide end on my right side to start....
This is a deeply intellectual and neurological question! Who would even think about this (except a 'distinguished' person). I have always started with the wide side on the right, never noticed that the knot would skew slightly more in one direction..... so now I have spent 30 minutes trying to start with the left side (who knew it would be so hard?!!) and adjusting it to be straight, then walking around the house, sitting down, standing up etc. and then going back to the mirror to see how it shifted! The empirical answer is "Not Conclusive".....

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spread collars like the ones you posted are definitely aplenty. A really long semi-spread bordering on point like OP asked for is a much more elusive beast.

As @ValidusLA pointed out really early in this thread guys who need a semi-spread or point long enough to tuck under a jacket are pretty much out of luck when it comes to OTR. Obviously any of the MTM or bespoke options can pull it off but he asked for RTW.

The Spier collar specifically is very long. There’s no way that collar is not tucking under when worn with a suit or sport coat.

My Sid spread collars have similar measurements to the drakes (also OTR) shirt in this pic.
(No pics of Sid shirts handy)

B26C224D-D3AD-492D-A740-78AC53DC0DBA.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads