• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Protect Ya Neck: Shirt Collars, Knots and Balance

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No knot to factor in today but testing out a new button down collar from my shirt maker for an option to have in the arsenal for more casual days.
ECDE80D9-94D4-457F-8861-E044B7A38468.jpeg
27E2D5E3-E8CF-4AA2-AD44-EA068A9BDCF6.jpeg

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No knot to factor in today but testing out a new button down collar from my shirt maker for an option to have in the arsenal for more casual days.
View attachment 1887267 View attachment 1887269
I think your face shape is somewhat oblong which would be better suited by a taller collar, especially when wearing a jacket.

I guess the aim would be to create a deeper V-shape around your neck which would work better in framing your face.

For this reason, I am a big fan of 100 Hands oxford button-downs - they've got excellent collar geometry for this purpose. A photo of one of mine:
IMG_9295.jpeg

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think your face shape is somewhat oblong which would be better suited by a taller collar, especially when wearing a jacket.

I guess the aim would be to create a deeper V-shape around your neck which would work better in framing your face.

For this reason, I am a big fan of 100 Hands oxford button-downs - they've got excellent collar geometry for this purpose. A photo of one of mine:
View attachment 1887291
Thanks for the suggestion. Brings up an interesting point. I may see about moving the button placement. The collar itself actually stands pretty high on my neck but adjusting the button spacing may allow me to have a larger V. As it stands the 2nd button being undone is fine for wearing with knits or out for a dinner but not sure I could get away with it for anything client facing (at least have a mental block of it)
7D2017A8-FC9A-4E69-A6FA-5E99035FE9E7.jpeg
2789555A-CA2D-4DD8-9BBF-C1794FCFDDA1.jpeg

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. It is wild how different that Spier cut makes you look @ValidusLA.

@breakaway01 - I was in the same boat. I pretty much tried everything. There are some I like more than others. I have been really happy with the Neapolitan stuff I’ve been wearing. The only downside is my other suits are taunting me as they sit in my closet. That being said I’m also excited to try a different iteration of a drape cut. I’m doing a NxNW inspired suit. Unfortunately I started to have the crazy idea that maybe it would be fun to make a Neapolitan one and the same cloth and tweak a few details from my standard cut with that maker and do a side by side. I’m a sick person.
I’m a sick person.
Perhaps. But at least you probably live in a place where tailored clothing is actually worn so these excercises are not limited to you
posing in front of a mirror.

emptym

Reaction score
20230123_124341-01.jpeg
20230125_104819.jpg

Wait, is the red jacket custom and the brown one from S&M? I thought you wrote that the S&M one has narrower lapels, but the brown has wider ones. In any case, personally, I prefer everything in the second pic, from the collar and lapels to the shoulders and sleevehead to the shirt collar and tie knot. It does look more relaxed imo.

I like this collar a lot. The only thing I'd change is to make the ends of the collar band rounded instead of squared. But that's just my preference.

@te0o, imo, your collar is too large relative to your neck and shoulders. But it's a more flamboyant, Italian look, which may be what you're going for.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@te0o, imo, your collar is too large relative to your neck and shoulders. But it's a more flamboyant, Italian look, which may be what you're going for.
It's a fair observation, I think it's definitely a bit of a 'look' but in this case it's also not helped by the jacket. Here it is worn with a jacket with stronger and broader shoulders:

1675387922921.png

I think it looks more balanced but would be keen to hear your thoughts.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, is the red jacket custom and the brown one from S&M? I thought you wrote that the S&M one has narrower lapels, but the brown has wider ones. In any case, personally, I prefer everything in the second pic, from the collar and lapels to the shoulders and sleevehead to the shirt collar and tie knot. It does look more relaxed imo.

It does look more "relaxed", and yes thats the S+M one. The shoulders, objectively, are not as good a fit on the brown. Hard to get across in one photo I suppose.

Interesting you like that one more. I think that photo is an agglomeration of Styleforum accepted things - relaxed shoulders, soft cuts, spread collar.

To me, it looks worse on me, by a long margin, and others had expressed the same thing earlier.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1887291

Face/head/neck geometry aside:

I like the roll of @Jmr928's collar over the non-roll of @te0o's collar

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok I have an important question. When you tie a four in hand, do you start with the wide end of the tie on your left side or your right side? I have always started with wide end on left, but I have no idea why. It results in a knot that angles slightly towards the jacket breast pocket.
View attachment 1882937
I've tried to tie the same knot with the wide end starting on the right and muscle memory literally won't allow me to do it. I'm right handed, in case it matters.

Just tie it the way you have been. What you posted above looks fine.

emptym

Reaction score
It's a fair observation, I think it's definitely a bit of a 'look' but in this case it's also not helped by the jacket. Here it is worn with a jacket with stronger and broader shoulders:

View attachment 1887393

I think it looks more balanced but would be keen to hear your thoughts.
Yes, it does look better both relative to your shoulders and neck in this pic.
It does look more "relaxed", and yes thats the S+M one. The shoulders, objectively, are not as good a fit on the brown. Hard to get across in one photo I suppose.

Interesting you like that one more. I think that photo is an agglomeration of Styleforum accepted things - relaxed shoulders, soft cuts, spread collar.

To me, it looks worse on me, by a long margin, and others had expressed the same thing earlier.
True, the custom jacket does look like it fits you better in the shoulders and chest. But I'd say the S&M's style details look better on you than the others'. But I'm only judging from one pic of each, taken from fairly close up. It's really hard to take a pic that's accurate. And it's definitely personal preference. I love a really soft style to the point that most of my shirt collars are unlined, most of my jackets are unpadded, and some are even uncanvased. Although, the recent I Sarti jackets are able to maintain a soft look while having both canvasing and a bit of shoulder padding.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have an important question.
View attachment 1882937

And I am sorry....that is not an "important" question.

Why on earth would you like/want EXACT symmetry for your tie/knot to look PERFECT?

What I am looking is a shirt/tie/knot combo that is top notch!

PLEASE don't overthink things.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads