• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper shoes to wear with chinos?

Wolfpackesq

Reaction score
Hi all,

My first post, I've been lurking for a while.

My question is the proper shoes to wear with chinos and an oxford. I am not a fan of rubber soled shoes, yet worry about getting "too dressy" for chinos with my shoe choice. I normally wear simple Ralph Lauren chinos, would the maclaine from AE (pictured below) be "too dressy" with chinos and an oxford?

Thanks for the help and if this is a stupid question or it has been answered please feel free to banish me to the outskirts of town.
musicboohoo[1].gif

3279-400837-p.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With chinos and an oxford cloth shirt you can be either "buttoned up", starched and neatly pressed or frayed, distressed and wrinkled, or anything in between. (In fact, that last statement reminds me of Ralph Lauren cotton and linen clothes in the 70's and early 80's with a label that said "guaranteed to wrinkle")But I digress. Back to the subject....So depending upon what look you have, you could do the nice, neat brown brogues if you are all ironed and well put together, or with a more relaxed look, no socks and loafers or even flip flops. The key is that the shoes should compliment the rest of the look.

Wolfpackesq

Reaction score
"With chinos and an oxford cloth shirt you can be either "buttoned up", starched and neatly pressed."

Yes that's the look I'm going with, this will be a "casual friday" outfit and may actually be worn with a tie.

Thanks for the replies, keep 'em coming, I'm new to the professional world and need all the help I can get. I LOVE this shoe for some reason but it's not all that functional for me if I can't wear 'em with chinos.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you LOVE that shoe, then I would suggest looking for a similar colored and textured leather belt. A good belt/shoe combo is hard to beat and a nice way to add a bit of style to a casual Friday look. It is a subtle way to show you know how to pair and coordinate your clothing.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wolfpackesq
Hi all,

My first post, I've been lurking for a while.

My question is the proper shoes to wear with chinos and an oxford. I am not a fan of rubber soled shoes, yet worry about getting "too dressy" for chinos with my shoe choice. I normally wear simple Ralph Lauren chinos, would the maclaine from AE (pictured below) be "too dressy" with chinos and an oxford?

Thanks for the help and if this is a stupid question or it has been answered please feel free to banish me to the outskirts of town.
musicboohoo[1].gif

3279-400837-p.jpg

Not too dressy at all.....and not 'ugly', either. If you can pull it off, it's a great look.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think they are a little too dressy for most chinos. They are, after all, still cotton field pants. At the least, you should be wearing a blucher with them, IMO. (Open lacing vs the closed laces of those). Also, I'd generally avoid burgundy for with chinos. They strike me as a bit too formal usually. Something less red usually works better.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like that type of bal wingtip with chinos. I might not pick that particular model but it's perfectly appropriate if you like them.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I find bals in general too dressy for chinos. I like the sound of a chukka, or maybe a plaintoe blucher in shell:

Although I know exactly what you mean, in reality 99.999% of people cannot tell the difference between a bal and a blucher even if you showed them side by side. Color, shape, wingtip/nonwingtip, captoe are all going to be noticed before the blucher/bal thing.

Mirage-

Reaction score
I want to buy some beige chinos and go for the preppy look with ralph lauren polos etc but im stuck on what shoes to wear! any suggestions?
I'm pretty sure "penny loafers" is the canonical answer, except I don't like penny loafers so I'd wear Belgian loafers instead. But also simple canvas sneakers probably work perfectly well, you can look at the many shoots from Casatlantic for inspiration in that regard, e.g.:

1J8A2127-StudioMiladAbedi_750x.jpg

Braid

Reaction score
A derby would also work well, maybe in suede to tone it down a bit. A split toe, plain toe or short wing are all good options.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads