• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Practice the fine art of doing absolutely nothing!

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very satisfying it is and much enjoyable when learned, the noble art of doing absolutely nothing.
There is no meaning, no purpose in all this life, in this Chaos, unless- of course, you suppose one, which is recommended some of the time. But not most of the time or always I would say- ...

Especially in the Anglo-Saxon and Germanic countries I have noticed this sad anal-retentive compulsion towards productiveness, that self-content, protestant, philistine ethic. Idleness is looked down on and elegance suffers. Everything must be an effort everyone has to give his best or fake to do so to gain some small material advantage over others. Productiveness furthers society- it generates a bad conscious when neglected.
Even practitioners of all the arts are naturally influenced by that thinking: you "ought to" strive for this and that and do your exercises, manage and sell yourself, or improve yourself 100 times a day. While I don't support all-out laziness (only secretly) I still think that there's a lack of leisurely nonchalance (a noble trait) which is Not ashamed of itself but says when asked about work, not because it's true, but simply for effect: Work? Good god no, but I have KNOWN of people who do.

"What's your job?"- "I'm a eunuch, a pine needle-counter, I'm mentally ill, a human, an ape, a clerk, a president, a bum...." Work reduces man to a machine- a job reduces a person to a word.
Sit in a cafÃ
00a9.png
and watch the people run around, ostensibly linger around in luxury, be a wastrel (there are too few nowadays), bathe in the envious looks, the provincial mentality of the slaves of honest toil, shock with your unconventionality, charm with your bored look, your artistic demeanour, your well-cut clothes- throw away telephone bills and bank account information-leaflets, pretend to be at a loss when it comes to any practical topics like car repairs, demon-summoning or bargain sales- spurn fitness clubs, tourists and parvenus---then go back to your job and do it most diligently! (You little human hypocrite! lol...)

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My vacation to Negril, Jamaica changed my life. I learned the value of doing nothing there. Powerful herbs and fungi facilitated this education while there, but it has stuck with me and made my quality of life much, much better.

ccc123

Reaction score
A private beach in Positano Italy, just me my wife the sun, water and sand did nothing for two weeks! that showed me a little more about living!

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But this was a reward for doing a lot beforehand, I suppose? If you take your vacation leisure back to your work life, you won't get to go on vacation again so soon, I presume.

john_jsr

Reaction score
Hi,

I think this is the most difficult thing to do & i am trying continuously to do this thing with my best efforts but if i can't get succeed then i go for pop art but nothing more. I love to do nothing as usual.

If you have any idea that how can i stop me from doing anything then you are welcome.

Thanks

Adma

Doc4

Reaction score
"Practice the fine art of doing absolutely nothing!" What, I have to practice this? Sounds like too much work to me.

chas

Reaction score
"It is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has plenty of work to do. There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do. Wasting time is merely an occupation then, and a most exhausting one. Idleness, like kisses, to be sweet must be stolen."

Jerome K. Jerome

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ haha, certainly true- idleness is just so more sweeter if something to-do/work threatens to destroy it.
wink.gif

No, but this "doing nothing" and leisure-stuff just has so many connotations and meanings some of which were already mentioned by you all.

Originally Posted by letmebefell
But this was a reward for doing a lot beforehand, I suppose? If you take your vacation leisure back to your work life, you won't get to go on vacation again so soon, I presume.
In continuation of what the poster HORNS wrote one means of applying that stuff in daily life would be to take it in its most literal meaning: try for example following: set an alarm for five or ten minutes then sit or lie down in a comfy position (dont fall asleep!) and simply....do nothing - just be there, and -more importantly- also do not think about anything. Try this out! Theres a high chance that you'll feel more relaxed, refreshed even happy thereafter- at least thats what I have experienced...(if any of you is interested in this more "esoteric" side we can discuss that too- good stuff can e.g. be found in some Taoist writings like the Zhuangzi, or in Zen).

Originally Posted by LabelKing
Leisure is the best job.
Exactly!- and werent also our modern sciences- nay our whole civilisations- conditioned by leisure itself? By ppl who had leisure and thereby could think about such things as philosophy, astronomy and mathematics? From the Greek scholars (mostly nobles and full citizens (full citizens of Athens like Socrates was, were an elite minority of about 8-10% of the populace)- to Renaissance idlers, up to those Enlightenment heinis who created their theories under the auspices of the Kings of France, or look at guys like Buddha who was a bored prince or Marx who was some sort of phantastic idealist philosopher with crazy theories....etc etc- even the sober, buccolic Romans' word for leisure described a natural, the primal, basic state (otium); yet "work" was nothing more than a simple negation- a derivative of former (neg-otium)...and so on and forth..
wink.gif
(of course today we have nearly deified the ethics of the merchant- and as practical and useful as it may be in certain aspects it also has its obvious drawbacks.)

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indifference to anything but your canvas.
The ability to work like a locomotive.
An iron will.

-What You Need for Painting, Raymond Carver

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by centalones
Yes, but tedium is the worst pain, something that doing nothing is sure to lead to.
I think many of the moderns (or commoners- lets be frank) cannot even handle leisure- or the responsibility of "having nothing to do". Look at some so called celebs or stars who flee into drugs or ridiculous sects or esoteric cults (that they dont understand themselves)- out of sheer ennui. But in the end they still encounter this great vacuum (if they would have learned to e.g. sit themselves quitely down and enjoy a good book or the sciences- whether they be in their flat in Sheffield or on their private tropical island- they wouldnt need to struggle around that much. Same with even very successful managers: they work and work and accumulate money for the sake of accumulation itself- which is a perversion- and cant stop anymore- they have no purpose: but greed and the erasure of boredom...yet the noble and sophisticated man will have time enough to think about things like furthering his advancement in art or the sciences- not on a base of "efficiency" or because he has to "publish or perish" but because of the enjoyment of his own mind and a genuine interest in the world or nature, itself. I say- its no shame to have to work for ones physical sustenance, this is natural and quite normal- but most ppl have been "conditioned" in such a way that they cannot be in-dependent from the social structures, and their values anymore...or lets say: are afraid to be- they cannot take on that "responsibility" of enjoying the simple things, being in the present of the moment all by themselves!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Jerome:

It must be interesting to be you. Take that however you wish as I am a mere commoner, to be frank, and not a member of the upper class or royalty as you surely must be, given your comments.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads