• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Practice the fine art of doing absolutely nothing!

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jerome
I think many of the moderns (or commoners- lets be frank) cannot even handle leisure- or the responsibility of "having nothing to do". Look at some so called celebs or stars who flee into drugs or ridiculous sects or esoteric cults (that they dont understand themselves)- out of sheer ennui. But in the end they still encounter this great vacuum (if they would have learned to e.g. sit themselves quitely down and enjoy a good book or the sciences- whether they be in their flat in Sheffield or on their private tropical island- they wouldnt need to struggle around that much. Same with even very successful managers: they work and work and accumulate money for the sake of accumulation itself- which is a perversion- and cant stop anymore- they have no purpose: but greed and the erasure of boredom...yet the noble and sophisticated man will have time enough to think about things like furthering his advancement in art or the sciences- not on a base of "efficiency" or because he has to "publish or perish" but because of the enjoyment of his own mind and a genuine interest in the world or nature, itself. I say- its no shame to have to work for ones physical sustenance, this is natural and quite normal- but most ppl have been "conditioned" in such a way that they cannot be in-dependent from the social structures, and their values anymore...or lets say: are afraid to be- they cannot take on that "responsibility" of enjoying the simple things, being in the present of the moment all by themselves!

Those are some big brushstrokes you are painting.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks HORNS- its good to be "allowed" some poetic freedom...by that, you have defined yourself as "no commoner"....
lol8[1].gif
cool exp. there btw- dont hesitate to tell us more- (dunno if thats legal or whatever) psilocybin, mescalin whichever- I myself never used such stuff- but am interested in all experiences...
smile.gif
...I think that story and also that "doing nothing" meditation I recommended has a lot to do with "being in the present"...partly more "normal" things that "divert" us-"divertamente" as the Italians say- follow similar patterns: e.g. rock concerts, reading/immersing ourselves in a work of art or even drinking with friends....those things make us forget our worries about the future, the career or our longing for the past or ppl we may have lost and thereby could be used as a resort for regeneration and relaxation...(of course as you know a good dietary measure is to be introduced permanently- so the one I suggested has maybe least side-effects)..

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Thanks HORNS- its good to be "allowed" some poetic freedom...by that, you have defined yourself as "no commoner"...

Birth determines who is and is not a "commoner", not attitude. Unless your family is royalty or was wealthy five generations ago, you are a commoner. Feeling that you are "special" because you are in university does not actually make you "special"
laugh.gif

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
piobaire: I dont hold any personal grudges against you so I'll make this short.

Dont make suppositions about anyone over the net whom you dont know. (You supposed that 1) I am at uni right now and 2) that my family did not hold a noble title...funnily enough both are wrong. Also times have changed in Western society and nobility has to define itself through other parameters.)

If you do not like what I wrote you do not have to comment or at least could criticizse on-point and argumentative.

Maybe we can have other more productive discussions in the future.
smile.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
piobaire: I dont hold any personal grudges against you so I'll make this short.

Dont make suppositions about anyone over the net whom you dont know. (You supposed that 1) I am at uni right now and 2) that my family did not hold a noble title...funnily enough both are wrong. Also times have changed in Western society and nobility has to define itself through other parameters.)

If you do not like what I wrote you do not have to comment or at least could criticizse on-point and argumentative.

Maybe we can have other more productive discussions in the future.
smile.gif

Actually, I rather suspected you would claim to be a member of the royalty. Thanks for confirming my hunch.

So I view our discussion as productive so far, you have confirmed something I thought you would.

Also, nobility does not define itself, society defines nobility. Besides, you claim being outside societal bounds is your goal, why even bother with the concept of nobility...or commoners for that matter? For one singing the praises of not taking part in all this, you seem very enmeshed.

Cheers

Shraka

Reaction score
I wish I had enough money to be able to simply relax and enjoy being idle.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The "lol" at the end ruined this for me.

But being idle is really not that fun unless you have recent work pressure to contrast it to.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
European nobels are a dime a dozen. Hell, my dad's family has ties to Russian Czars. Who gives a **** nowdays? Feudalism is dead. New money is more interesting...

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Actually, I rather suspected you would claim to be a member of the royalty. Thanks for confirming my hunch.

So I view our discussion as productive so far, you have confirmed something I thought you would.

Also, nobility does not define itself, society defines nobility. Besides, you claim being outside societal bounds is your goal, why even bother with the concept of nobility...or commoners for that matter? For one singing the praises of not taking part in all this, you seem very enmeshed.

Cheers

I think we may be talking at cross-purposes here cause thats what I was trying to say in the passage you quoted anyway [maybe a mistake in my English, since in German "to define itself" is reflexive]: that nobility (and thereby I meant the term "nobility" as well as: "what is considered noble") has to be redefined anew nowadays. As for the noble title of my family: thats really no big deal. We arent allowed to bear it since 1919 (AdelsaufehbungsG), anyway.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc4
"Practice the fine art of doing absolutely nothing!" What, I have to practice this? Sounds like too much work to me.

+1. Almost as bad as "trying to look as if i didn't give a ****"

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
The ideal profession is vanity, Vanitas.
"Vanitas vanitatum, et omnia vanitas."

This thread is also a good sieve for "nobility (of the mind)" it seems...maybe next time I should preface such a post by the disclaimer: "Can not be comprehended by mediocre Trimalchio wanna-bees." (not that they could comprehend this allusion, either...)

p.s. I found Doc4's comment witty and ironic- well done!
smile.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
This thread is also a good sieve for "nobility (of the mind)" it seems...maybe next time I should preface such a post by the disclaimer: "Can not be comprehended by mediocre Trimalchio wanna-bees." (not that they could comprehend this allusion, either...)

Quoted for hubris. Incredible.

P.S. My commoner mind holds this as one of its favorite essays: http://www.zpub.com/notes/idle.html

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Incredible"! :shock: "What an outrage- someone questions the modern truism of "we all have to be the same" What are you some Victorian widow?

Brain washed cowards basically who are repeating the fake pseudo democratic phrases and watch with PC correct fanaticism over whether anyone stands out –is "elite" (see above in my case), noble, or different/imaginative- cause: everyone "must" be the same, everyone must be mediocre "as we all", if anyone would be more intelligent or somehow "better" that would be unspeakable, this could not be tolerated.

p.s. you dont know who I am so be careful that you wont be "remembered" for your hypocrisy after hundreds of years- cause thats MY job...edit: apart from that: that book from that that essay is taken is "O.K.", yet I'd rather recommend Epicurus...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
"Incredible"! :shock: "What an outrage- someone questions the modern truism of "we all have to be the same" What are you some Victorian widow? Brain washed cowards basically who are repeating the fake pseudo democratic phrases and watch with PC correct fanaticism over whether anyone stands out –is "elite" (see above in my case), noble, or different/imaginative- cause: everyone "must" be the same, everyone must be mediocre "as we all", if anyone would be more intelligent or somehow "better" that would be unspeakable, this could not be tolerated. p.s. you dont know who I am so be careful that you wont be "remembered" for your hypocrisy after hundreds of years- cause thats MY job...edit: apart from that: that book from that that essay is taken is "O.K.", yet I'd rather recommend Epicurus...
The English is so bad I'm not 100% sure, but I think I just got told I'm part of PC fanaticism and that I don't believe in excellence.
crackup[1].gif
DAMN! I just love this interwebz thing!
laugh.gif
I don't get the threat though. What are you threatening me with? Historic remembrance?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads