• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

POW glen check appropriate for younger men?

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on the field the job, or presentation, is in.

If it's a conservative office, I'd go with plain gray or navy, no matter the age.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC
I think it depends on the field the job, or presentation, is in.

If it's a conservative office, I'd go with plain gray or navy, no matter the age.

I agree. I think of them as Friday suits.

artoftime

Reaction score
A fabric that is as versatile enough to be worn on a hunt or in the office is something to reckoned with -
Also an old timey fabric on a young guy - and a Poole suit of any configuration - shows exceptional elegance.

hymo

Reaction score
I've never seen anyone wear a POW in my field of business, though I think Luca the Ferrari guy was photographed wearing one in DB.

But look at H&S's Intercity bunch, there's a POW there. But I think I'll stand out too much wearing one.

I don't like navy for now, nor do I like a flat mid-grey. I'm looking for something more characterful, something for the eye to look at. I'm thinking maybe a dark grey glen plaid, where the plaid is just barely visible, with a subtle light blue overcheck.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hymo
I'm wondering of a POW glen check like this by Henry Poole is appropriate for, say a first product presentation or job interview for someone below 30?

I don't know if I'd wear it to a job interview but I'd wear it everywhere else.

I work as a legal officer for the government and I'd probably describe my office dress code as reasonably conservative. I wear glen plaid - no overcheck, brick red overcheck or blue overcheck - at least once a fortnight.

Dburr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman

I work as a legal officer for the government and I'd probably describe my office dress code as reasonably conservative. I wear glen plaid - no overcheck, brick red overcheck or blue overcheck - at least once a fortnight.

total agreement

hymo

Reaction score

May I know if you wear it as an odd jacket or as a 2-piece suit?

LAPL

Reaction score
I am a younger guy and I have a suit that looks almost identical to the one you posted, but is a Ralph Lauren Black Label suit. I typically wear it to events in the evening and out of all the suits that I own (granted I don't have that many) this is the suit I receive the most compliments on. I think if you wear it correctly with the right shirt and tie combination it looks striking and very elegant.

markbao

Reaction score

Agreed, don't go with this for an interview.
Otherwise, it's a nice one to break out of a norm if you're used to wearing solid suits (with the right colors of course. white seems to work well with POW)

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by hymo
May I know if you wear it as an odd jacket or as a 2-piece suit?

Both. I have both single-breasted and double-breasted glen plaid suits and I do usually wear them as suits, but I do occasionally wear the trousers with a plain jacket or a glen-plaid jacket with plain trousers. The key is to not try to wear too many patterns - particularly of the same or similar scale - at the same time.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both. I have both single-breasted and double-breasted glen plaid suits and I do usually wear them as suits, but I do occasionally wear the trousers with a plain jacket or a glen-plaid jacket with plain trousers. The key is to not try to wear too many patterns - particularly of the same or similar scale - at the same time.
I agree with Journeyman. That said, I have also broken the "rules" and worn Glen Plaids/PoWs to interviews. The while not as traditional as a true solid charcoal or navy, the pattern itself has a classical elegance to it that a lot of men/women today see as an "old man" pattern. For whatever reason, I think it works generally for young men in most business environments. But if worn to an interview, PoW should be the busiest thing you wear; I'd keep the rest of the outfit muted (as an interview outfit should be), e.g., black shoes, solid-ish tie, no PS, no-nonsense socks. I would take PoW over a pinstripe to an interview.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to add support for glen plaid as business wear, my boss (a successful and stylish trial lawyer) wears a Prince of Wales sport coat with black slacks regularly, and looks really good. I have a subtle grey glen plaid suit that I wear now and then and I've never gotten the feeling that I was dressed inappropriately.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads