• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post Minimum / Waiting Period Required for New Members to Start a New Thread

In Order to Start a Thread, New Members Should Have

• A Post Minimum

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • A Waiting Period

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • No Requirements (USA! USA! USA! USA!)

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think there should be a 500 post minimum before new members should be allowed to post.

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How can I put this? U Mad.
I ask again, how often do you venture into the "ask a question" thread? Never. Who's going to answer those questions? A very simple question that half of the forum could answer cound languish unanswered for days in that thread. :( It makes sense that a noob would post a special flower thread. If they upset you ignore them...or even better, post a reply that makes them feel stupid and worthless to show the rest of us what a seasoned forvmite you've become.

It is a short time period to START threads. What are these questions that have to be answered immediately, are very simple, and cannot be found in search/answered in the ask a question thread?

New members can post to their hearts content and ask relevant questions in the threads in which they belong. Enough of your insufferable melodrama.

I just think that not all members should suffer because of the idiotic behavior of a few. I am a long time readers of StyleForum yet  I do not post regularly.
To be honest I am one of the members with least posts on my own website and forums which is ironic for an administrator is it not? There will always be new people searching for a specific pair of shoes or jeans or something else and when they do not get their answer in the Ask a question thread, they make a new thread dedicated to the products they are looking for. And if you do make a minimum post count (which is better than a waiting period since everyone will contribute this way), it should not be above 30 posts.This is just my 50 cent.

I am not suggesting anything like a large posting requirement (a short time period is more appropriate - which would weed out some who came here to troll, spam, post garbage and leave).

Just to reiterate: suggesting a very minor inconvenience for new members to make the forum function slightly better. Nothing to get worked up about.

I think there should be a 500 post minimum before new members should be allowed to post.

Finally, a man with a plan.

Champy

Reaction score
I am not suggesting anything like a large posting requirement (a short time period is more appropriate - which would weed out some who came here to troll, spam, post garbage and leave).
Just to reiterate: suggesting a very minor inconvenience for new members to make the forum function slightly better. Nothing to get worked up about.
In the end it all sums up to your decision and I believe it will be the best for the forums and the members, new and old.
I like this idea because there are a lot of un-usefull threads clogging up the "system" but you should not rush things out and chase away members that may contribute. I am glad that we can have this kinds of discussion with the administration, it shows us yo care a lot :)

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
I think Doc has a good point, and even though I disagreed with this proposal at first, I have to agree after reading through to the bottom. A minimum time period before one can post a new thread is a good idea. New members can still post questions in existing threads. If a thread is created about an individual or a brand and they hear about it offline and want to respond, they could open an acccount and respond in that thread.

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sometimes a new poster has something legitimitely interestign to say, or a time-sensitive question that would require digging through a 523 page threak. When't the last time any of you ventured into the "Ask a question thread" to helpa n00b? that's what I thought.

It doesn't hurt anyone to let them post. i'm sorry, but your little clubhouse just isn't that exclusive.

I frequent the Ask a Question, Get an Answer forum. I try to ask and answer as much as I can, because that is the point of the thread. After 1000 posts, I still don't feel ready to contribute a thoughtful thread.

All the noob threads are annoying, but we can't count on just Rev to make entertaining threads... :confused:

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree that there are plenty of existing threads to answer most noob questions. A waiting period before being allowed to start a new thread would help, but I think a series of sticky threads on the most common questions might do more. We've all seen countless new threads like "What suit to wear for my job interview", "What to wear to my summer internship", "What to wear to prom" etc. I was told on a different thread that some FAQs were in development to address these common questions. I think that will help especially if new members are forced to read through an Introduction to SF thread, which highlights the FAQs to these common questions, before being allowed to post. It may cut off some of the repetitive questions.

I joined SF to research shoes. Before posting, I surfed through the entire AE Appreciation thread and the entire Official Alden Thread as well as the Suede Shoes Post'em Here thread. It took me several days, but I wanted to review the content first. Most new members aren't going to do that.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Yeah people ignore those stickies. That's the point. A new member either thinks that his situation/perspective/limited wardrobe is specific enough to warrant a thread, or he just thinks (knows?) that he'll get more attention that way. We don't need more stickies.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
I think that we should allow new posters to start threads, but they shouldn't be allowed to post links to sites until they've reached a certain number of posts. This would allow people to get their questions answered, and it would prevent trolls and spammers from asking us to check out the amazing shoes on AlphaMale.

IF the noob wants fit suggestions, let him upload the images to the tread instead of posting a link to them—until he reaches X number of posts—if he's too lazy to upload, then the question wasn't all that important.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah people ignore those stickies. That's the point. A new member either thinks that his situation/perspective/limited wardrobe is specific enough to warrant a thread, or he just thinks (knows?) that he'll get more attention that way. We don't need more stickies.

I agree mostly. Once a structure of "Intro" threads are established, noobs may bypass them, but I expect SF members will put them in their place. I mean at that point, you can't say you didn't know. So flame on, post snarky replies ad nauseam.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I seem to remember several threads on this topic already posted....:eh:

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Terrific idea! I vote for a 3 year waiting period, which means this thread should have never happened.

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Terrific idea! I vote for a 3 year waiting period, which means this thread should have never happened.

You are so clever you make me want to **** your wrists :laugh:.

Fok just shot the idea down, so it's a no-go. Thank you for all the opinions.

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As for the waiting period to start new threads - that's pretty contrary to the spirit of Styleforum. We will soon be putting up a Styleforum 101, to which new members asking basic questions can be referred, but we are not going to force people to lurk before starting new threads. The idea has been brought up many times in the past, and it's just not going to happen. J and I hate clubs and restaurants with dress codes and velvet ropes, so anything that smells like the digital equivalent is just not going to happen.
Cheers,
Fok.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads