• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

jedwards

Reaction score
What size pocket square do you guys use?

I have a plain white 100% linen one, seems huge, can never seem to get it neatly in any suit breast pocket I have!
Also, is it just me or is 100% linen too stiff?

After something plain, maybe a self self white pattern...

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a plain white 100% linen one, seems huge, can never seem to get it neatly in any suit breast pocket I have!

I'm a big fan of plain white linen pocket squares. The stiffness has also something to do with the weight of the fabric; the ones I have have a very nice, almost "buttery" touch to them. For linen pocket squares I take 30x30cm, these fit into all the breast pockets I have; I used to have a larger one which sometimes caused problems.

John15

Reaction score

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It depends on the weight of the fabric. The fairly light weight white linen pocket square I have is 12" (30 cm), though I also offer them as 16" (41 cm) for the occasional customer that likes bigger squares. I've never found it to be too stiff; even when I first started making and wearing pocket squares. Certainly there are heavier weight linen that I do find to be too stiff and heavy.

In the above video that pocketsquareguy posted, the guy says he likes 33 cm (13").

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It depends upon the weight of the fabric. I wouldn't buy a large heavy linen pocket square. It would be too bulky. Yes linen is a bit stiff but that is part of the appeal. It keeps a neat, crisp look. If you want a softer look get silk or wool.

w.o.e.is.me.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just realized I hadn't posted the latest pieces from Ikiré Jones in this thread yet.
so here they are.
All made up in 100% silk and hand-rolled in Macclesfield, England.

Last edited:

w.o.e.is.me.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much should a pocket square capture your attention? My experience is, that it should have just enough presence to be noticed but not so much to dominate the look of an outfit.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much should a pocket square capture your attention? My experience is, that it should have just enough presence to be noticed but not so much to dominate the look of an outfit.

This is a very poignant question...and I think it is also a very subjective matter...because it depends on one's personal taste.

For me, I like it to serve as a compliment that makes up the total aggregate of my outift. I don't want it to stand out as an individual article.

People that understand CM to a certain extent may see it this way...but people that don't and see a pocket square...may always think of individually.

That being said...I really don't mind when a girl yanks it out of my pocket to see it...it got their attention...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads