• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Square Review: an Ongoing Series

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

Click pic for history.

- B

Ah the good ol' days...you're makin' me all misty.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
You wouldn't wear a PS if you couldn't wear it tastefully. PS are not mandatory.

Oh yes. Very true. I said that assuming most people have a basic understanding of color balance and theory. With a quick Google search, I have proven myself wrong.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Foo, I'm with you on everything but the white/white. Depends on what you're dressing for in my opinion, and more often than not to stay conservative I opt out of the pocket square.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
zsk6yv.jpg
I actually like the colors a lot. Well done, Moo.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
+1 I'm a graphic designer and understand pattern/colour/texture relations quite well. I used to use the PS to introduce a tertiary colour/pattern that would compliment the primary and secondary ones...and while these elements may have been in harmony with eachother, they were not in harmony with me, my personality and my own personal style. A white/basic PS is not necessarily/exclusively for beginners...sure, it's a great place to start, but by the same token, it's not a bad place to end up for me. After experimenting, I've found that my style favours basic linen squares either solid or with a one colour basic pattern. In the end, it's an individual thing and to say that there is one hard and fast rule is a rediculous this to propose, as I find the OP's examples to actually work quite well.

You start out by saying that (to paraphrase): "personality goes a long way", but you seem to agree that a white pocket square "goes with everything". I don't think you can promote the view that PS coordination is a totally subjective thing and then pronounce that a white pocket square is the only absolute in the universe.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a pre comment before my regular comment
smile.gif
I've never seen so much bickering between fellow SF members anywhere in my life. I find it a little disappointing but very funny
lol8[1].gif
Anyway. Obviously "style" is subjective and what one thinks looks great can be hideous to another. This is a PS thread so I need everyone's advice. Is the PS supposed to match or "resemble" the tie or shirt color or pattern? As I said in an earlier post, I've plenty of white linens that are similar to the one guy who always wears white linen one's w/ a tie bar. He's like the Don Draper of 2011. Great look btw. Most of my linens have colored borders but I do have one that is solid. I just dont know what kind of silk pocket square I should buy. I've bought paisley, ginghams, and others. Can someone please give me advice on how to properly wear a PS? Cheers Edit: one more note. How do you care for a PS if they're linen, cotton or silk? Wash them in the washer? Dry clean?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alvinkim14
I need this tie...anyone know where I can find it?
blush.gif

eh.gif
Dude, that is a very standard tie design - any half decent menswear store should have one that is comparable.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alvinkim14
I need this tie...anyone know where I can find it?
blush.gif

You could try PMing sugarbutch, the owner.

alvinkim14

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
eh.gif
Dude, that is a very standard tie design - any half decent menswear store should have one that is comparable.

I know...Im just very particular
Thanks Threadbearer!

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
You start out by saying that (to paraphrase): "personality goes a long way", but you seem to agree that a white pocket square "goes with everything". I don't think you can promote the view that PS coordination is a totally subjective thing and then pronounce that a white pocket square is the only absolute in the universe.
I'm sorry but I never said that a white ps is the only absolute in the universe. I said that it's not bad place to end up, that it's not just for beginners. Now, the OP did speak in absolutes by stating that the base color of the PS should never match the base color of the shirt. Yes, I do agree that a white PS will go with everything but it's also not the only way. And if you reread my post you'll notice that I didn't use any absolutes such as only.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics