• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Pocket Square Review: an Ongoing Series

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
22,511
Reaction score
3,503
The background or predominant color of your pocket square should not be the same as your shirt.

Recent posted examples:



A pocket square is just another layer of your outfit--on top of your shirt, tie and jacket. Moreover, it is the most superfluous of them all. So, if you're going to include it, it really needs to be sufficiently distinct. If you can't come up with a happy balance between matching your shirt (or tie or jacket) and incohesive randomness, just don't wear one. The lack of a pocket square has never ruined an outfit.
 

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
22,511
Reaction score
3,503
Better, but the shirt could stand to have more white in it:



The colors work together, but everything (shirt, tie, square) is too dark and saturated.
 

DerekS

Guyliner
Joined
Sep 17, 2010
Messages
8,625
Reaction score
4,843
Id tend to agree on the exception of white...a white PS with a white shirt will never look bad.
 

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
22,511
Reaction score
3,503
Originally Posted by DerekS
Id tend to agree on the exception of white...a white PS with a white shirt will never look bad.

I think the principle applies equally well to white-and-white. I personally can't stand a white shirt paired with a white square. Too sharp and searing. Even mild variation would be a vast improvement. A cream square would work wonders. The little bit of added warmth softens the outfit and marries the white shirt to the other things you're wearing, which are probably not white.
 

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
22,511
Reaction score
3,503
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Cream then, right?

Actually, yes. In most instances, cream works very well. It's not the only square worth wearing, and it's not always optimal, but it is very often better than whatever people strain to wear.
 

DerekS

Guyliner
Joined
Sep 17, 2010
Messages
8,625
Reaction score
4,843
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I think the principle applies equally well to white-and-white. I personally can't stand a white shirt paired with a white square. Too sharp and searing. Even mild variation would be a vast improvement. A cream square would work wonders. The little bit of added warmth softens the outfit and marries the white shirt to the other things you're wearing, which are probably not white.

whew. ill have to disagree. completely. In my opinion (just my opinion mind you) a white PS with a white shirt is standard. Kinda like saying black captoes just dont go with a charcoal suit.
 

acecow

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2009
Messages
4,135
Reaction score
682
In the first two examples I'd go with a solid white instead of a pink one and I like Orgetorix's pocket square. You are overthinking this.
 

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
22,511
Reaction score
3,503
Originally Posted by DerekS
whew. ill have to disagree. completely. In my opinion (just my opinion mind you) a white PS with a white shirt is standard. Kinda like saying black captoes just dont go with a charcoal suit.


Yes, it is arguably "standard," but that doesn't mean it looks good--unless of course you've had the misfortune of being warped into AndyLand.
 

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2007
Messages
2,761
Reaction score
653
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Cream then, right?

Originally Posted by mafoofan
I personally can't stand a white shirt paired with a white square ... Even mild variation would be a vast improvement. A cream square would work wonders.
It seems to me that whenever I try to pair a cream item with a white one, the cream item no longer appears to be cream; instead, it appears to be a dingy white item.
 

DerekS

Guyliner
Joined
Sep 17, 2010
Messages
8,625
Reaction score
4,843
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Yes, it is arguably "standard," but that doesn't mean it looks good--unless of course you've had the misfortune of being warped into AndyLand.

well i suppose cary grant, fred astaire, steve mcqueen, and thousands of others are just warped into AndyLand.
 

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
22,511
Reaction score
3,503
Originally Posted by acecow
In the first two examples I'd go with a solid white instead of a pink one and I like Orgetorix's pocket square. You are overthinking this.

Au contraire. I think you all are underthinking.

The pocket square is inherently superfluous. If you're going to wear it, you should do so with measured consideration. You don't randomly throw on a jacket or tie, do you? No. Yet, those are base components. Extra ornamentation naturally demands extra thought, as you should first consider whether it be used in the first place.
 

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
22,511
Reaction score
3,503
Originally Posted by DerekS
well i suppose cary grant, fred astaire, steve mcqueen, and thousands of others are just warped into AndyLand.


I'm not a fan of Cary Grant's or Steve McQueen's style. Fred Astaire wasn't infallible.
 

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Sep 18, 2007
Messages
20,251
Reaction score
5,359
I think the following is a nice, classic example of wearing a white pocketsquare and picking up white in a shirt (left) and a tie (right).



HRH Prince Michael of Kent with Arnaud Bamberger of Cartier.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 15 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 74 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 143 32.9%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 71 16.4%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 35 8.1%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 26 6.0%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 15 3.5%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 9 2.1%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 3.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 100+

    Votes: 27 6.2%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,489
Messages
9,199,780
Members
193,210
Latest member
Vox & Leo Shoes

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top