• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique workout for specific goal AND which is best program 5x5; P90x etc.

zoorado

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
Funny thing is a huge percentage of people who start exercising use the "Brad Pitt in Fight Club" example as what they want to achieve, and a justification as to why they shouldn't be doing big lifts.

Guess what: If you do 5x5 or any kind of basic compound lift program, that's where you'll get. You're not going to magically puff up into Arnold just because you lift hard and heavy. Lift, diet. Like others have said stop messing around with countless pointless exercises and get down to the basics.

+1.

I've been lifting for 7 years with improvements in strength-to-weight ratio as my main focus. Can still see results wrt that, and I've pretty much maintained the same weight for the past 4 years.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So how to spilt it all up?

The 5x5 has squatting on every workout day...

I was thinking maybe a sort of upper body/ lower body split but upper seems to have many more exercises... something like this laid out as:

Week 1:
mon. A/tues. off/wed. B/thurs. off/fri. A
Week 2:
mon. B/tues. off/wed. A/thurs. off/fri. B

Workout A:
Bench 5x5
Incline Bench 5x5
Pushups 3xF
Overhead Press 5x5
Pull up/Chin up 3xF
Abs

Workout B:
Squat 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
Inverted Row 5x5
Dips 3xF
Pull up/Chin up 3xF
Abs

starting with 30 min. cardio every a.m. working up to 1+hr. (i.e., playing soccer, biking, jogging etc.)

Abs: hanging leg raises, bridges, in&outs, leg lifts w/ exercise ball, cable crunch (all 3x20, except bridge 3x30sec.)

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a nice 4 day split going before my cut. Very simple. Everything is 4 sets x 8-10 reps.

Day 1 (push): flat bench, shoulder press, dips
Day 2 (pull): Chins, 2 types of rows, deadlifts
Day 3: rest
Day 4 (push): flat bench, shoulder press, dips
Day 5: rest
Day 6 (pull + legs): Chins, 2 types of rows, squats, ham curls, calf raises
Day 7: rest

Add accessory work only to address weaknesses (i.e. I added rear delt machine flys as mine are weak). Add weight to body weight exercises when they get too easy. Master your diet, that is the key to leanness. I promise you will not get scary big within a year's time on this routine.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
So how to spilt it all up?

IA's 3 day 5x5 which you can easily do 2x a week, just roll the 3rd workout into next week.

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=20480

Monday, Upper
Bench 5 x 5 Ramping to a top set of 5
3 Board Bench 2 x 3 (optional)
Chin 3 x as many as paossible
Tricep PD 3 x 8
Lateral Raise 5 x 10

Wednesday Lower
Squat 5 x 5 Ramp to top set of 5
Deadlift 3 x 5 Ramp to a top set of 5
Ab work
Calf work (optional)

Friday Upper
Bench Press 5 x 5 static weight for all sets
Dip 3 x 8
Row 5 x 5 Static weight for all sets

This is periodized. It starts light and works up over 4 weeks. It then either continues progressing for beginners, or the 5 x 5's go to 3 x 3's for people past the beginner stage.
Remember: less is more. 5x5 will **** you up and run your **** into the ground if you dont periodize properly as it is, so stripping down some of the exercises will do you well.

inq89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrH
There's also the magic reference to Fight Club, and what makes the physique there very remarkable is being really, really lean.
Agreed, I use to think that Pitt's body was "hyooge" before I got into the gym, but now I seriously just see it as someone with a toned physique and a very low body fat. If OP is looking for that then he already has the weight and muscle presumably, just needs to drop his fat down to single digits to get the abs to show. I am exactly his height and weight but am trying to bulk up so my goals are different, but for him I'd just do an even balance of cardio and stick with his current routine or a modified SS. 3-4 days should be enough to get that "model" look. Abs are made in the kitchen. Higher reps since youre not building bulk. Also, look into Intermediate Fasting. If I was cutting or maintaining then I'd do this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads