• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique workout for specific goal AND which is best program 5x5; P90x etc.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have not been to the gym regularly in almost a year now (was into it pretty steadily for two years prior). With that said, I am not out of shape, I am 6'1" 175 lbs., eat pretty healthy and run a few miles every few days. Before I stopped this was my routine:

Chest/Tri's
Shoulders/Legs
Back/Bi's

One day on, one off, with cardio and abs mainly on 'off days', nothing on sat./sun.

Exercises looked similar to this, usually in 3 sets of 8-12 reps:

Chest: bench (bb), incline bench (db), flyes (db), dips, decline bench (bb) [mixed every other week]
Tri's: dips, skull crushers, cable push downs
Shoulders: overhead press (bb), side raises (db), overhead press machine, upright row, shrugs
Legs: squat, lunges (db), duck sqauts, calf raise machine, leg curl machine
Back: deadlifts, seated row, back extensions, bentover row, lat pull down
Bi's: preacher curls, reverse grip ez bar curls, bb curls, alt seated db curls

Just when I stopped I was getting ready to start the stronglifts 5x5 program so I have all the info on that.

Also, recently i got everything to do P90x.

Here is my question, my goal is to have a 'model' type body, and before you **** on me for that comment by 'model type' all I mean is lean, slender, tight muscle (i.e. Pitt in Fight Club days) NOT bulky, thick, etc. for example I attached a random pic I came across while shopping today.

My question is this, what would be the best set-up/program for achieving the body style I am after? 5x5 stronglifts, P90, my old regime, something else?

Comments and help would be appreciated.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
p.s. I was thinking some workout with high reps (i.e., 20-25) but havent really come across any info on something like that...

stronglifts with the 5x5 method seems like it would add considerable bulk

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yoga/pilates/rock climbing

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need to lift to have a physique like that? Just looks like a lean dude to me with not much if any muscle. You should be able to get there with diet, cardio and bodyweight stuff.

virus646

Reaction score
Yup, just enjoy a sport or cardio and stick with a simple diet. Not really much more than that.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Yoga/pilates/rock climbing

just started with yoga 3 weeks ago

Originally Posted by TrH
You need to lift to have a physique like that? Just looks like a lean dude to me with not much if any muscle. You should be able to get there with diet, cardio and bodyweight stuff.

ha, true, prob. could have picked out a better picture. It was more to just emphasize the point of getting away from the bulky look, which is kind of what I had prior to stopping a year ago. I was up to 205, broad shoulders, fairly large pecs... currenlty down to 175 and wearing a 38 suit, which is where I'd like to be at, but with much more muscle/definition.

I am well aware its very difficult to gain muscle and cut at the same time, but I guess thats prob. the type of workout I am looking for..

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's also the magic reference to Fight Club, and what makes the physique there very remarkable is being really, really lean. Recomping can be done but takes a fair bit of effort - if you want to go that route I'd stick with a very basic lifting routine, then fill up the rest of your schedule with cardio and bw exercises. Since you probably have somewhat decent frame already, you probably only need to cut to get that look.

It's not like you need millions of reps at the pec-flexor 3000 (bonus points if you get the reference) to look like that..

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrH
There's also the magic reference to Fight Club, and what makes the physique there very remarkable is being really, really lean. Recomping can be done but takes a fair bit of effort - if you want to go that route I'd stick with a very basic lifting routine, then fill up the rest of your schedule with cardio and bw exercises. Since you probably have somewhat decent frame already, you probably only need to cut to get that look.

It's not like you need millions of reps at the pec-flexor 3000 (bonus points if you get the reference) to look like that..

Then I guess my question would be, besides the body weight exercises, what other lifting should be done (i.e., high rep 20+, low 5, whole body workout everyother day, split upperbody/lowerbody, two body parts each day, 5x5, etc.)

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A breakdown of Pitt's Fight Club workout routine http://fitnessblackandwhite.com/brad...-club-workout/ Seriously consider getting pushup bars for P90X because there are so many of them ahead. Add Insanity Asylum to P90X and a healthy eating program and you'll be golden. Asylum is brutal - relentless circuit training and body weight exercises. It comes with a hybrid P90X/Asylum workout schedule, which basically replaces P90X Kenpo and Rest and Stretch with Asylum vids.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you have way too much **** going on.

just do shoulder press, bench press, squats, deadlifts, but easy on the squats and deadlifts. like do them once a week. maybe add some chinups, hyper extensions and ab work like rollouts or hanging leg raises.

go for strength (3 sets 4-6 reps), then play some sports or take up boxing in between and watch your diet.

i think the brad pitt look is more about getting lean and losing body fat than it is the type of workout you do

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
i think the brad pitt look is more about getting lean and losing body fat than it is the type of workout you do

Yes.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
A breakdown of Pitt's Fight Club workout routine

http://fitnessblackandwhite.com/brad...-club-workout/

Seriously consider getting pushup bars for P90X because there are so many of them ahead.

Add Insanity Asylum to P90X and a healthy eating program and you'll be golden. Asylum is brutal - relentless circuit training and body weight exercises. It comes with a hybrid P90X/Asylum workout schedule, which basically replaces P90X Kenpo and Rest and Stretch with Asylum vids.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

I did get the pushup bars, they are really great on the wrists.

Originally Posted by indesertum
you have way too much **** going on.

just do shoulder press, bench press, squats, deadlifts, but easy on the squats and deadlifts. like do them once a week. maybe add some chinups, hyper extensions and ab work like rollouts or hanging leg raises.

go for strength (3 sets 4-6 reps), then play some sports or take up boxing in between and watch your diet.

I figure I had too much **** going on and it is great to hear advice to simplify it, which is what I was hoping for. My only concern was dropping reps 'for strength' would create that swole 'jacked' look I am trying to stay away from... maybe I am wrong but I always thought that was the concept of low and heavy.

For stringy lean muscle definition I thought 25+ reps per set was the way to go.

As far as exercises, those you laid out seem to be similar to the Madcow, 5x5 etc. programs. They seem to be the exercises that produce the most core strength and best results working multiple muscle groups at the same time, not so much the isolation exercises I was doing...

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you're on a cutting diet then you wont get much hypertrophy if at all. again that stringy muscly look is about lack of body fat.

i would say the exercises i laid are more productive. there's no need to do calf raises, leg curls, and then lunges, if you just do squats. squats will also develop your core (abs) and hip flexors (jumping ability, speed)

you'll get the body you want with the exercises you listed if you watch your diet, but tbh it wont be that impressive and you'll have to spend a lot of time in the gym running through all the various sets

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny thing is a huge percentage of people who start exercising use the "Brad Pitt in Fight Club" example as what they want to achieve, and a justification as to why they shouldn't be doing big lifts.

Guess what: If you do 5x5 or any kind of basic compound lift program, that's where you'll get. You're not going to magically puff up into Arnold just because you lift hard and heavy. Lift, diet. Like others have said stop messing around with countless pointless exercises and get down to the basics.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads