• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pitti Uomo 87 in pictures

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, think about the life of Lino before and after the #menswear / Sartorialist coverage. Would he be able to sell hundreds of the most insultingly stupid overpriced neckties with an inane number 7 of them? Same with Nick Wooster? He went from no-name mid-level executive to some sort of menswear icon getting paid to "design" "collections" with his face embroidered in them. There's countless of those stories.

Scott Schuman has a lot to answer for!

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously, I think it would be great to task a photoblogger with the specific job of seeking out exceptionally good (as opposed to tastelessly eye-catching) outfits at menswear fairs like Pitti. Tira and gdl have both confirmed that there were plenty of these in evidence at the fair, and EFV has managed to capture quite a few of them for this thread.

Well, that will be interesting. But most will deny the pic, as some people do not want to feature around. Just have a family and a job that is the best a man can have.

Am I the only one who finds the idea of these peacocks hanging around hoping to be blogged rather comical and slightly sad?

nope.

kinda felt sorry for some of them

No, no you're not the only one.

It is both comical and sad.

Tragicomical actually. Also most of the time do harm they business. Wonder who of those are about to close because instead of a class icon, is now the main icon of tackyness?

Are they paid for this or is it an attention issue? I only have a slight grasp on Pitti from what I have read in this thread so forgive my ignorance.

Actually most of those would sell his mother out for fame instead. This is a personality disorder called Histrionic Personality Disorder, i have explained a lot on the forum because tailoring or even worse with fashion seems to group around a lot of this people as well as bank or politicians do with psychopaths.

http://psychcentral.com/disorders/histrionic-personality-disorder-symptoms/

Symptoms of Histrionic Personality Disorder

A pervasive pattern of excessive emotionality and attention seeking, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:
  • Is uncomfortable in situations in which he or she is not the center of attention
  • Interaction with others is often characterized byinappropriate sexually seductive or provocative behavior
  • Displays rapidly shifting and shallow expression of emotions
  • Consistently uses physical appearance to draw attentionto themself
  • Has a style of speech that is excessively impressionistic and lacking in detail
  • Shows self-dramatization, theatricality, and exaggerated expression of emotion
  • Is highly suggestible, i.e., easily influenced by others or circumstances
Many people with histrionic personality disorder don’t seek out treatment. People with personality disorders, in general, do not often seek out treatment until the disorder starts to significantly interfere or otherwise impact a person’s life. This most often happens when a person’s coping resources are stretched too thin to deal with stress or other life events.

Like most personality disorders, histrionic personality disorder typically will decrease in intensity with age, with many people experiencing few of the most extreme symptoms by the time they are in the 40s or 50s.

Wow, it seems we have decades remaining of those bothering us, i hope on the renewal of the Pitti, this will be totally banned and avoided. Also i wonder how would look and act Mr. 7 thumbs up on his worst phase, 40 years ago, as he is now on his late 80s. lol

Scott Schuman has a lot to answer for!

I wonder why his blog is also an insult for us on the sartoria business, why is he called the Sartorialist why nothing there is from sartoria but fashionalist as everything is fashion and the worst actually. Any clue? Was already registered?

Why actually the worst blogs as the French, the Cromptom and it are the most readed ones
while can´t be taken seriously but only to get some laughs?

Last edited:

vida

Reaction score
I have always wanted one of those No. 7 ties. I was kind of hoping that NMWA would pick them up for Spring\Summer.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lino is the tattoo bearded guy who did the shorts with a suit thing? Are you telling me he's not actually famous for being anything more than the look, oh my. Kardashian ftw.

So hipster first or the likes of these Pitti people, Chicken and egg dilemma.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lino is the tattoo bearded guy who did the shorts with a suit thing? Are you telling me he's not actually famous for being anything more than the look, oh my.

No, Lino's the perma-tanned guy in his sixties who wears tight DB jackets and partially-unbuckled double monks that look as though the toecaps have been dipped in dark paint:

He's got a shop called Al-Bazar in Milan with a branch store in Tokyo.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, to the haters, this is why I think the hate talk here is asinine at best.

Not a single person here is even making an attempt at saying that the, as Greg so eloquently put it, full-marsupial fits, at Pitti, are halfway good looking, and certainly not in good taste. What I think people are trying to say, or at least what I am trying to say, is that that is just the way it is. I dont know what it was like 10 or 20 years ago, but for the last good number of years that is how it has been. And its fun to watch. No one is saying to emulate that, or that these guys look awesome, just that its a spectacle to behold.

So. Coming into a Pitti thread, as people do every year without fail, and complaining about it, and saying, "C'mon guys these fools look silly, why are you giving them a pass?" Is simply missing the boat. Like, jumping off the dock a good 90 minutes after the boat left, missing the boat. No one is giving them a pass. Some people just simply enjoy looking at what crazy combinations people come up with and ogling it twice a year. Not to mention, that there are a lot of awesome items and fabrics in those crazy fits, its just that perhaps most of us would wear one of them at a time, not 7, and we would probably have everything made up a little longer and lot less tight. And besides that, there are always guys like EFV, and Greg and Braddock... that go there and look great. Is it so hard to let people enjoy that without pissing on their parade?

Its almost like someone who hates clothes coming in to SF and saying, hey, you guys all look pretentious and care way too much about clothing! Correct. We all care way too much, and thats why we found a corner of the internet to enjoy our hobby in, and not your living room. If its not your jam, find somewhere else to hang, the same way I dont march into your gun or knife, or whatever the hell hobbyist forum, and whine like a baby.

If you dont like Pitti, go start an, "I HATE PITTI TO THE MAX LEVEL ELEVENTY NINE!!!!111!!!##@11!!" thread, and talk about how dumb it is, and how its driving fashion/style into the ground. In the meantime, the show will probably to continue to get more and more crowded each year, as it seems to be doing, and people who enjoy it will come to these threads to discuss it and look at funny pictures. Double bonus, since nobody is changing anybody elses mind, the people who enjoy Pitti wont come crap on the Pitti hate threads, and then we can avoid having this exact same back and forth every 6 months.

gsugsu

Reaction score

No, Lino's the perma-tanned guy in his fifties who wears tight DB jackets and partially-unbuckled double monks that look as though the toecaps have been dipped in dark paint: He's got a shop called Al-Bazar in Milan with a branch store in Tokyo.
He's owned Al Bazar since 1969 so add a decade or two to his age

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in stitches´ mind has been corrupted by SW&D. Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT listen to him.

Hate away, gentlemen.

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, Lino's the perma-tanned guy in his fifties who wears tight DB jackets and partially-unbuckled double monks that look as though the toecaps have been dipped in dark paint:

He's got a shop called Al-Bazar in Milan with a branch store in Tokyo.

fifties or late eighties?

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somehow I feel better after reading stichies post and deciding that I'm so ignorant to all this that any thoughts I might have are neither hate or love but issues I have with loafers, short pants and lack of socks.

vida

Reaction score

Not a single person here is even making an attempt at saying that the, as Greg so eloquently put it, full-marsupial fits, at Pitti, are halfway good looking, and certainly not in good taste. What I think people are trying to say, or at least what I am trying to say, is that that is just the way it is. I dont know what it was like 10 or 20 years ago, but for the last good number of years that is how it has been. And its fun to watch. No one is saying to emulate that, or that these guys look awesome, just that its a spectacle to behold.

So. Coming into a Pitti thread, as people do every year without fail, and complaining about it, and saying, "C'mon guys these fools look silly, why are you giving them a pass?" Is simply missing the boat. Like, jumping off the dock a good 90 minutes after the boat left, missing the boat. No one is giving them a pass. Some people just simply enjoy looking at what crazy combinations people come up with and ogling it twice a year. Not to mention, that there are a lot of awesome items and fabrics in those crazy fits, its just that perhaps most of us would wear one of them at a time, not 7, and we would probably have everything made up a little longer and lot less tight. And besides that, there are always guys like EFV, and Greg and Braddock... that go there and look great. Is it so hard to let people enjoy that without pissing on their parade?

Its almost like someone who hates clothes coming in to SF and saying, hey, you guys all look pretentious and care way too much about clothing! Correct. We all care way too much, and thats why we found a corner of the internet to enjoy our hobby in, and not your living room. If its not your jam, find somewhere else to hang, the same way I dont march into your gun or knife, or whatever the hell hobbyist forum, and whine like a baby.

If you dont like Pitti, go start an, "I HATE PITTI TO THE MAX LEVEL ELEVENTY NINE!!!!111!!!##@11!!" thread, and talk about how dumb it is, and how its driving fashion/style into the ground. In the meantime, the show will probably to continue to get more and more crowded each year, as it seems to be doing, and people who enjoy it will come to these threads to discuss it and look at funny pictures. Double bonus, since nobody is changing anybody elses mind, the people who enjoy Pitti wont come crap on the Pitti hate threads, and then we can avoid having this exact same back and forth every 6 months.

Exactly! It's just clothes!:slayer:

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We, here on SF, are of course far removed from the childish sillyness of those Pitti Peacocks, because we buckle our double monks and wear socks with our tassel loafers...

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's owned Al Bazar since 1969 so add a decade or two to his age

I didn't know that - in that case, especially given that he seems to smoke like a chimney, he's well-preserved for his age!

in stitches´ mind has been corrupted by SW&D.

Does this mean that we can expect to see In Stitches at the next Pitti, milling around near the wall wearing a brightly-coloured poncho, calf-length, drop-crotch trousers, faux-combat boots and a floppy hat???

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In complete agreement with the above, except for the incorrect attribution of the "full marsupial" quip to Greg. I believe that was in fact mine. (...although Greg may well have come up with the same idea independently.)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics