• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peak lapel on trial?

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
So I am about to leave town for a 4 - 6 week trial in federal court, and am planning my wardrobe. Getting dressed in a hotel room 2000 miles from home requires some pre-planning. I have selected 4 suits already (all navy and grey) and am torn choosing a Friday suit. My current choice is a SB peak-lapeled light grey number. A two button, and quite conservative otherwise.

Is it too fashionable for federal court? Should I just pick another boring number to stay safe? Maybe a brown (although that would require brown shoes -- something I'd like to avoid)?

Litigators speak up . . . .

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's something slightly cocky about a peak lapel suit. I don't know if that's how you want to come across or not.

I can't imagine a defendant in a criminal case wearing one in court, unless he's in the mafia.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's fine to wear black shoes with a brown suit.

JohnD356

Reaction score
I know a number of lawyers who swear by brown suits for trials. I would avoid peak lapels too.

CharlestonBows

Reaction score
I think the peak may be a little aggressive for fed court. But that may be something you want?

davidsj

Reaction score
I would say it also depends on whether it's Court of Appeals vs. Federal District, what circuit you're in, whether your petitioner or respondent, and who your client is. BTW, I'm not a litigator.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I really don't like single breasted PL suits. Am I the only one?

+1 agreed

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like single breasted peak lapels. Actually considering one for my wedding. Don't know if they're appropriate for Court though...

TexasLidig8r

Reaction score
With a trial of that length, a change of pace every fifth day might not be a bad idea. First, some presumptions...

1. It's a jury trial.

2. It's a civil matter involving a corporate defendant, probably several defendants at least.

3. You are one of the defense attorneys.

4. Since you are in DC and traveling approximately 2000 miles, that would mean you are maybe.. Los Angeles (which is about 2700 miles) maybe Las Vegas.

Presumably, you are starting off with the power navy suit, white shirt, red tie on day one and gradually going lighter throughout the week. It may also depend on whether you are a more flamboyant advocate.. or a more methodical one.

By day 5, the jurors (or judge to a certain extent), is going to start to get "tired head" syndrome, especially in the afternoon (assuming the judge even holds trial on Friday afternoons instead of doing sentencing or other matters during that time). In all likelihood, on Fridays, the jury isn't going to notice "peak vs. notch." They may initially notice suit color and shoes but unless there is particularly compelling testimony, will be focused more on the upcoming weekend instead of the the 5th straight day of expert testimony.

Depending on the specifics of the brown... (is it brown, or chocolate, or walnut).. is it a solid, or pinstripe or window pane)... that could be a very nice change of pace.

See what your jury consultant says.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this a jury trial? If not, you can take more chances. Also depends on the court. I know of one older district court judge (in Dallas) who is not above telling an attorney that his attire is inappropriate. Ask around about the court.

Overall, though, I'd dress conservative and have one less thing to worry about.

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Details: I am a federal prosecutor. It is a criminal case -- conspiracy, filing false tax returns. It will be a jury trial in the 8th Circuit -- I suppose that's more like 1500 miles from DC. The judge is pretty easy going as far as federal district court judges go.

And, FWIW, I plan on a white shirt, conservative tie and black shoes every day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads