• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paying bribe for admission into top school - Worth it ?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
I just read this, if you really make 200K a year in India then go ahead and do it, that's merely 10% of your annual income.
But let me ask you this, how much is a bribe to prestigious university in India? Assuming that universities can be bribed as well.

It is no more than 10% of my yearly income and percentage wise it makes almost no difference to my net worth. Financially, the reason to ask this question was that after the financial crisis I have become much more careful with my money. I am very reluctant to waste money.

Regarding whether universities can be bribed, the answer is it depends. To get into a private medical college, you certainly need to pay. I know someone who paid 100000 USD to get his daughter into one.

But here the government colleges are considered far better than private colleges and I dont think you can pay your way into a government professional college. It is the reverse when it comes to schools. Private schools are better than government schools.

The difference between paying to get into nursery school and medical college is that at the nursery school level there is the applicant is awarded points on the basis of his

1. proximity to school
2. whether parent/s is/are alumni
3. whether sibling is already in school
4. girl child is given preference
5. whether the child of a single parent.

After this a list is drawn up depending upon the points and students are selected with those maximum points getting in. Earlier the schools were conducting exams of 3 year olds AND their parents and there no fixed criterion. So the High Court changed it into a standardized system.

That is why I say that my child has a far greater chance of getting in the neighbourhood school (which is 1 km away) rather than the other (bribe) one which is 10 kms away. On the other criterion also, since he is the only boy of married parents he will not get any points.

Originally Posted by GQgeek
I went mostly to private schools and this is a bs myth. Most of the kids were no more spoiled or entitled than any other kids. And within the school, there were very few divisions between the kids themselves, unlike the defined groups you always see at public schools. This is partly because everyone has to play sports and do extra-curricular activities together, you all wear the same uniform, and depending on the school, you might eat together too.

+1

Originally Posted by derekzee
i wouldn't. i'd let him enter whichever school he gets into from the other bests.

i don't think the network is worth it. those rich kids may not help your child in career or when he/she is down. what if those kids end up being trust fund babies with no power? what if your kid is influenced badly by the environment. like thinking he needs the things he cannot have.

Regarding first para of your reply please see above. If he was trying to get into medical school, I agree totally that you get into whatever depending on your grades, exams etc. But in this case the child's personal capability has no relevance.

Originally Posted by Agnacious
Anyone who says this does not happen in America, in one form or another, probably went to public school.

I have known several people who donated money to the right schools, a couple before their child was even born. Some join the right country clubs, make connections and voila, acceptance through knowing the right people who know the right people.

Much like the question of dating a woman or renting a whore, it's just semantics.

In a few years time which would you regret more, doing it or not doing it? I would struggle in finding any reason to regret it.

I personally cannot understand the attitude of the American members regarding corruption. That they wont do it and are against it is one thing. I accept that there is much lesser corruption in America. But is there NO corruption in the US? Are not US companies admitting to paying bribes in all corners of the world ?

Originally Posted by scarphe
but realistically there are probabaly 200 people stories of failure for every one story of success, you may be underating how much luck and connections can help someone be successful.

Quite possible ....

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do it. To go to a good school is worth it.

If the opportunity arose for any of us we would certainly think hard and good about it.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the networking at top schools (anywhere in the world, but more so in relationship-based business cultures, as India is) is worth its weight in gold. for a child or young person with the innate drive and ability to be successful, the networks of connected and wealthy people they will build lifelong friendships with will be invaluable.

the drawback is if the child feels out of place because they are not of the same background (although a USD 200K+ household income probably puts your son in the top strata anyway) and feels like an outcast during his formative years...or picks up lazy/destructive habits from his peers. i think you'd have to watch that very very closely.

no judgments about bribe-offering and corruption. i work for an American company and do business both in the "first world" and the "third world". i'm not allowed to take or offer bribes, but i don't pass judgment on practices in countries in which i'm a visitor.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
One reason I am reluctant to pay is that India is full of stories of men and women who are from villages without any schools and yet they have become hugely successful in all sorts of fields. That is why my personal belief is that my son will become who he becomes due to his own capabilities rather than a prestigious school.

The point is I am willing to set aside my personal belief in case I am incorrect and the 'right' school does make a difference in his life. I dont want to think later in life that I should have paid at that time.

On the other hand, don't you want to provide as much as you can for your son to set him up for success?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do it for the sake of network. Looks like it's going to be on your mind if you don't do it.

Also, to whoever mentioned China, I don't think it's worse (not bribery, but use money to get into the right school).

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cchen
On the other hand, don't you want to provide as much as you can for your son to set him up for success?
+1 I will definitely send my kids to private schools, if I can afford them. They don't guarantee anything, but at the very least, there's a good chance your kid will look at all the successful people around him and that it will rub off on him. Private schools do a very good job of instilling a certain mindset about life, success, and working hard, so it's about much more than the network. These will be your kid's formative years. The way he thinks will take shape during these years. In a lot of ways I think it's more important than university. And while people often talk about the positive aspects of private schools, it's less politically acceptable to talk about the negative influences you'll be sparing your kid by not sending him to a public school. Let's be frank, a lot of the crap that goes on in public schools just aren't tolerated in good private schools. Problem kids get expelled and they don't quibble about it, generally speaking. The schools have more leeway to discipline kids. Kids get more attention from teachers. It's just a better environment in every possible way. I actually went to private and my siblings went mostly to public. The differences in our circle of friends is huge. Their friends are mostly ****-ups and losers. Mine have generally done pretty well for themselves. I never leveraged my contacts but that's because of my own failings, not because they weren't there. Public schools are perfectly capable of producing good students and successful people, but I think that is despite them, not because of them. I went to a public HS for a couple years and lets just say that expectations were a lot lower from both the kids and the school/parents.

Mblova

Reaction score
Can't you just send him to AES?
And how much better is this private school than a local one?
My cousin went to a local private school and did well on boards and now goes to DU, so it's really dependent on how well your son can do.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del

I personally cannot understand the attitude of the American members regarding corruption. That they wont do it and are against it is one thing. I accept that there is much lesser corruption in America. But is there NO corruption in the US? Are not US companies admitting to paying bribes in all corners of the world ?

The fact that american corporations pay bribes in other corners of the world doesn't really have anything to do with wether there is corruption within the U.S. That being said, of course there is some corruption in the U.S. but the average person has no personal experience with it.

Syl

Reaction score
This really isn't that complicated. I grew up in a 3rd world country but in a well off family. Paying to "get into" the best schools is incredibly common but it doesn't guarantee much other than exposure to the best teachers (and a healthy amount of good competition from other students).

The onus is still on the parent(s) to ensure they do their part i.e. participate with the child in homework, involve themselves with the teachers to know what's going on, making sure they work with the kid to go further.
As well, if this is like any other schooling system, there's going to be "extra lessons" aka tutors etc. that'll be pretty much required later on.

If you feel you'll be that involved in your child's life then you can likely get an equivalent education in any school, but it'll require more work on your part if you don't get dedicated teachers, low class sizes, good materials etc.

Having said all that, if it were my child, it's not even a discussion, I'd pay. I'd do anything to give my child an edge, and money is, all things considered, cheap.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
The fact that american corporations pay bribes in other corners of the world doesn't really have anything to do with wether there is corruption within the U.S. That being said, of course there is some corruption in the U.S. but the average person has no personal experience with it.

so political "donations" are not bribes?

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, not in the strict sense. Also, even if you want to call political donations bribes, the average american doesn't donate enough money to promote any personal interest.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious
I have known several people who donated money to the right schools, a couple before their child was even born. Some join the right country clubs, make connections and voila, acceptance through knowing the right people who know the right people.

That's not the same at all.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
That's not the same at all.

adjusting for cultural differences, i think it kind of is

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads