Paying bribe for admission into top school - Worth it ?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by aj_del, Jul 11, 2010.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

adjusting for cultural differences, i think it kind of is
    it's exactly the same. aj del's way is just more direct and probably more effective

2. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

Maybe you're best not responding to subjects you admit to know little about, since you are the one complaining about he lack of given background information.

Just because a thread is posted and a question is asked does not mean everyone who reads it should feel compelled to respond with useless advice. Since they otherwise would be ill-informed on the subject. Not everyone on here is American by birth or even by residency (and I say this as a native-born American myself). I'm sure there's enough people with experience of India's culture/educational system on this board to reply. If not, the thread simply dies..

Perhaps, you should move on and stop thread shttng.

You totally missed my point. I am more accurately complaining about the inclusion of background information that anyone remotely qualified to answer his question would find entirely useless. It would only make a difference to someone entirely unqualified to answer the question (i.e. me), and I expect the OP knows this.

The OP gives background info in the OP on what money is worth in India. Very basic stuff, certainly stuff that anyone qualified to answer his question would already know. That's my point - why ask such a complex question of people you assume don't know the most basic facts about India?

I don't care how many people on the board have intimate knowledge of India. If you are asking them, why bother explaining how much money this is in USD and what it buys you?

I can't believe I had to explain this 3 times, but I expect to be misunderstood again.

PS I wrote this on the shitter.

3. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

it's exactly the same. aj del's way is just more direct and probably more effective

Come on, its not EXACTLY the same, and you know it. In one instance you're giving money to someone personally, and in another you're giving money to an institution. FWIW, there are differences between bribery, corruption, and unfairness.

I would say there is plenty of unfairness in the U.S. but much, much less legitimate corruption, and still less outright bribery.

4. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Come on, its not EXACTLY the same, and you know it. In one instance you're giving money to someone personally, and in another you're giving money to an institution. FWIW, there are differences between bribery, corruption, and unfairness. I would say there is plenty of unfairness in the U.S. but much, much less legitimate corruption, and still less outright bribery.
    well, it's exactly the same with respect to the intent of the giver, and also the same when adjusting for cultural differences (as oman mentioned). if you want to "jump the line" or improve your chances for admission to an institution, beyond improving your admission qualifications, then you do it one way if you're in the US, and the other way if you're in India (and many other countries). the major differentiator between the two methods is a set of values that will differ based on the background and culture of the perceiver.

5. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

One reason I am reluctant to pay is that India is full of stories of men and women who are from villages without any schools and yet they have become hugely successful in all sorts of fields. That is why my personal belief is that my son will become who he becomes due to his own capabilities rather than a prestigious school.

The point is I am willing to set aside my personal belief in case I am incorrect and the 'right' school does make a difference in his life. I dont want to think later in life that I should have paid at that time.

Do you really think that the conditions/opportunities that allowed those people to succeed still exist for your son?

If you haven't read 'Outliers', I suggest you do so. The more you put your son in situations he can succeed, the better. Why put him in a position to struggle just to see if he can do it?

6. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

well, it's exactly the same with respect to the intent of the giver, and also the same when adjusting for cultural differences (as oman mentioned). if you want to "jump the line" or improve your chances for admission to an institution, beyond improving your admission qualifications, then you do it one way if you're in the US, and the other way if you're in India (and many other countries).

the major differentiator between the two methods is a set of values that will differ based on the background and culture of the perceiver.

Valid points. I guess you're just talking about how the actions are utilized and percieved or viewed in their cultural context. I'm not really making a moral or ethical judgement, I'm just saying, mechanically, there are differences.

7. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Do you really think that the conditions/opportunities that allowed those people to succeed still exist for your son?

If you haven't read 'Outliers', I suggest you do so. The more you put your son in situations he can succeed, the better. Why put him in a position to struggle just to see if he can do it?

To be fair, the chapter(s) you are referencing in Outliers are about becoming "Ultra Wealthy", not just merely rich or successful.

8. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

9. videocrew

videocrew Senior member

it may be *possible* but it seems extremely unlikely.
    What are you talking about, I went to public school, a state university, and managed to graduate from a T15 law school and am hardly some sort of marvel. I'm in the 99th percentile of my HS class in terms of educational/career attainment and potential, but still...

10. suzuka

suzuka Senior member

if you want to pay 22k usd to have your son attend a nice school full of other social climbers, I would assume it's not worth it.

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

well, it's exactly the same with respect to the intent of the giver, and also the same when adjusting for cultural differences (as oman mentioned). if you want to "jump the line" or improve your chances for admission to an institution, beyond improving your admission qualifications, then you do it one way if you're in the US, and the other way if you're in India (and many other countries).

the major differentiator between the two methods is a set of values that will differ based on the background and culture of the perceiver.

I'm amused at how blithely people can say things like "the same when adjusting for cultural differences". Some people may have sufficient firsthand knowledge to offer up such generalizations, but most of us do not.

12. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I'm amused at how blithely people can say things like "the same when adjusting for cultural differences". Some people may have sufficient firsthand knowledge to offer up such generalizations, but most of us do not.
    i have some firsthand knowledge, yes. thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt.

13. Deluks917

Deluks917 Senior member

^Its the internet. Its fair to assume, unless stated otherwise that most posters do not have experience living in both the USA and India.

14. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

^Its the internet. Its fair to assume, unless stated otherwise that most posters do not have experience living in both the USA and India.

Especially the ones who would need to be told what $'s are worth in India.

15. Mblova

Mblova Senior member

^^^^esp in relative terms..