• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paying bribe for admission into top school - Worth it ?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ It's actually 10 lacs, not 22 lacs.

Basically, that's what the question is. Is the network, status, bragging rights etc worth it ? Seems quite superficial (for lack of better word) but are they so important in life ?

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as a member of the diaspora, i find india to be a very strange place

i've noticed that wealthy indians raised in india have a much more realistic understanding of human nature than most people in the west, because life is very visceral there, very real. as a kid, you see things going on, and you realize that certain things are acceptable. you see the way the very poor are beaten for stealing an apple, and the very same day you see the very rich get away with (in some cases, quite literally) murder. it teaches you a lot about how humans really are, underneath all the social facades

i'm not saying this picture of society is good or bad - i'm just saying it's accurate. it teaches you a lot about social boundaries, and ultimately, it probably empowers you. a lot of people in the west find this stuff revolting and repugnant, but western society is relatively egalitarian, and these westerners who complain about this sort of thing are mostly very sheltered, and lack exposure. in india, just having the ability to talk about 10 lakhs places you in the upper, upper class

after all, we pretty much invented racism with that caste system stuff, and then the british came around and reinforced those divisions, and then ambedkar unwittingly reinforced them even more when he wrote the constitution. it makes sense that those things will remain a reality, and understanding reality is never a bad thing

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i mean, things are changing quite rapidly all of a sudden. india is far from a third-rate power now. the locus of power is shifting back to asia, and the asian paradigm is quite different from the west. i've never been to china but from what i've read, i'm sure they're even worse than the indians when it comes to this stuff

your son will have to deal with a different world when he grows up, and anything you can do to give him an edge will help

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
^^ I told you how much a maid's salary is worth and how much my wife earns. I can tell you the price of a Coke and a McD burger (around 120 INR - 2.5 USD). Any other info you would like ....

And the most expensive tailor in Delhi charges Rs.10000 (USD 220) for making a suit. Labour only

Right and if you need to tell us this ****, how are we (mostly American; excuse me, oman, you worldly motherfucker) supposed to educate you on the social worth of a good Indian school?

Do you seriously expect people who don't know how much things cost in India without you telling them to know anything at all about the value of an Indian prep school?

Also, are we to assume your wife is the only member of your family who works?

There just aren't enough
facepalm.gif
s

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Dont really know what you are saying but for the sake of discussion assume that I make the Indian equivalent of 200000 USD And if this info is still not enough, please refrain from participating in this thread further
smile.gif

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
Right and if you need to tell us this ****, how are we (mostly American; excuse me, oman, you worldly motherfucker) supposed to educate you on the social worth of a good Indian school?

Do you seriously expect people who don't know how much things cost in India without you telling them to know anything at all about the value of an Indian prep school?

Also, are we to assume your wife is the only member of your family who works?

There just aren't enough
facepalm.gif
s

Maybe you're best not responding to subjects you admit to know little about, since you are the one complaining about he lack of given background information.

Just because a thread is posted and a question is asked does not mean everyone who reads it should feel compelled to respond with useless advice. Since they otherwise would be ill-informed on the subject. Not everyone on here is American by birth or even by residency (and I say this as a native-born American myself). I'm sure there's enough people with experience of India's culture/educational system on this board to reply. If not, the thread simply dies..

Perhaps, you should move on and stop thread shttng.

sunror

Reaction score
i dont think 22k is unreasonable for a school your son will go to for twelve years

imschatz

Reaction score
If you can afford it, and you think it is worth it .. is it not your job as a parent to do it? I've always been under the impression that once you have children everything you do should be in some way related to increasing your childs living standards. If this better school increases the expected value of your child's future .. then it is a no-brainer.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would look at it from a slightly different perspective. If the School Fee was 10 lacs for the 12 year period, would you still be trying to get him in? If yes, the bribe is worth it as its the cost of a good education. If you wouldn't pay it legitimately then the bribe is not worth paying.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For once I agree with Oman... if this will actually set the course for your kids future AND ensures he gets in for 12+ years... DO IT. I can tell you I keep in ZERO contact with my HS friends, but still, he might run the place.

I dont know your situation, but you may be able to drop him down to 18-20k?

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you afford it? Once he is in will his class, background, or whatever else make him stand out as the bastard whose dad coughed up his last 20k for this while the rest all were born to it, thus undermining the whole project? Can you talk him down? Are you sure it will work? Assuming you can provide the correct answer to these questions, go for it.
I never would but then I'm an American.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Can you afford it? Once he is in will his class, background, or whatever else make him stand out as the bastard whose dad coughed up his last 20k for this while the rest all were born to it, thus undermining the whole project? Can you talk him down? Are you sure it will work? Assuming you can provide the correct answer to these questions, go for it.
I never would but then I'm an American.

as mentioned earlier, these pressures simply do not exist in America.

The DREAM is that you can be what you want, despiste your upbringing. And by and large, a lot of sucessfful peol have done that.

rexthedestroyer

Reaction score
Wow, that is about 10% of your income. I think the price is too high. If you feel your local school is good enough for the kid to succeed on his own, then I think you should go that route. What does your wife think? If you can drop it down to 10K then that would be worth it. As an American I have some morale issues with you doing this, but that was not your question.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oman
as a member of the diaspora, i find india to be a very strange place i've noticed that wealthy indians raised in india have a much more realistic understanding of human nature than most people in the west, because life is very visceral there, very real.
they can also be some of the rudest most demanding F***ers in the world. it can be such a shock for them when they have to move to a western country and suddenly become mildly wealthy instead of upper echelon. no talking about bollywood actor type rich tho

rexthedestroyer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
as mentioned earlier, these pressures simply do not exist in America.

The DREAM is that you can be what you want, despiste your upbringing. And by and large, a lot of sucessfful peol have done that.

I was on Youtube today listening to an educator (Geoffrey Canada) and he pretty much stated the same thing you said. Our school system is the great equilizer in American society. While it would be great to graduate from an Ivy league school, a kid that came up through the state school system can easily become a CEO/MD/JD/POTUS, etc. The only notable exception is the US Supreme Court.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics