• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Orvis?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone a fan? I realise this is more along the Mens clothing lines, but since we´re on an EG craze in here...

Traditional sporting clothes with a preppy edge, that imo could be worn very similar to EG. I only got one piece myself (mechanics sweater vest, which is good quality) and am eying the moleskin pants right now, which seems to be a great fall/winter option in say a dark olive or brown.

Talking about EG styles:
this looks amazing
82P2L7HK_LG.jpg

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_c...ubcat_id=11233

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_c...ubcat_id=11233

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I like some of it well enough, a bit boxy though. My father lives in it, if he isn't in a suit he is either wearing Orvis, Filson or some combination of the two. I can see how both of them would fit in with your aesthetic very well. You can find some vintage Orvis stuff on ebay and I like that a bit better than current offerings. I'd post pictures of what I've purchased but never learned how to post them and don't have the patience or inclination to do so now. Do they have J. Peterman where you live? My father works that in with Orvis and Filson quite well.

edit: I just went and looked, you might actually like some J Peterman stuff. I think I am going to get this Kinsale Sark http://jpeterman.com/product~cat~100...MOW%201022.asp

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stuff looks nice. And prices aren't too bad. Anybody comment on the cut in terms of it being true to size and the quality?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can't say I'm a fan - I've had some catastrophic failures on their gear while I've been in the middle of a river or rucking it through a field.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
irbe,
the sweater vest I have is true to size as far as most older US brands, that is I size down one from my EU size.
size L:
nt3.jpg

robin, what kind of failures?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
I like some of it well enough, a bit boxy though. My father lives in it, if he isn't in a suit he is either wearing Orvis, Filson or some combination of the two. I can see how both of them would fit in with your aesthetic very well. You can find some vintage Orvis stuff on ebay and I like that a bit better than current offerings. I'd post pictures of what I've purchased but never learned how to post them and don't have the patience or inclination to do so now. Do they have J. Peterman where you live? My father works that in with Orvis and Filson quite well.

edit: I just went and looked, you might actually like some J Peterman stuff. I think I am going to get this Kinsale Sark http://jpeterman.com/product~cat~100...MOW%201022.asp

EG is boxy aswell, which seem to be a bit of the point. I really like Filson aswell, but have neither Orvis, Filson or J.Peterman anywere near (im in Sweden) unfortunatly. If i lived in the US, id be in filson, orvis and LL bean nonstop
tounge.gif

Please post more info about that Kinsale Sark if you get it.. looks interesting, but the lack of real pics is confusing.

btw, is "sark" an US english word? Seems to be the same as swedish "särk", meaning something like "long pullover shirt".

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Orvis tends to size a bit big, stuff tends to be loose. They seem to appeal to a wide segment. They make a lot of Trad type stuff, and, of course, outdoor/Adventure gear (Fedora Loungers like it). Keep an eye on their sales. I picked up a couple of pairs of great Orvis tweed trousers last year thrifting; I like 'em a lot.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
btw, is "sark" an US english word? Seems to be the same as swedish "särk", meaning something like "long pullover shirt".

Not sure where the word originated but it is not in the US vernacular. I imagine it just became a shared word in north Atlantic European fishing culture.

Maybe you could start a thread on this style of clothing as you seem to be one of the foremost experts. In addition to Orvis, LL Bean, Filson (Seattle, bitches!), J Peterman, Beretta, Land's End, Barbour and EG there seem to be a lot of makers to find the style of clothes you are interested in.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Orvis tends to size a bit big, stuff tends to be loose. They seem to appeal to a wide segment. They make a lot of Trad type stuff, and, of course, outdoor/Adventure gear (Fedora Loungers like it). Keep an eye on their sales. I picked up a couple of pairs of great Orvis tweed trousers last year thrifting; I like 'em a lot.

As a small guy, this kills it for me. Ninety percent of the stuff is so huge it's unwearable. I won't even bother with alterations. It's like I'm playing dress up in dad's clothes.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
robin, what kind of failures?
Some of them:
* On one occasion I had a pocket fall off a fishing shirt jacket without warning (lost my flies then
frown.gif
).
* Another time I had a jacket loose a sleeve when I was going through some blackberry brush.
* A fishing vest fell apart after some it's mesh ribbing started to unravel, but I luckily wasn't in a river at the time.

I haven't used anything from them in a good 4-5 years though, so maybe it's different now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads