• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Orslow

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you, sir!

nachobarro

Reaction score
this is very helpful. I am actually thinking if I might even need size 4, but I am almost sure not. I was also thinking about a desert/beige colourway but as I was searching for photos of original jungle shirts in that colour it seems that it was only issued in army green or camo in Vietnam war era? So I might get olive and start searching for another type of army shirt or jacket in desert colour.

it looks great!
Hey sorry for the late response!

I took some quick pictures yesterday (sorry for the awkardness hehe) so you can see the fit. I'm 177cm 73kg medium/slim body frame. Usually a size Medium 38 in most brands, wearing a size 2 with a western denim shirt underneath.

IMG_2549.jpeg IMG_2548.jpeg IMG_2547.jpeg

As you can see, fit is good with a light layer but I still have room to wear a shetland, a fleece or other mid layer. I would be able to still button the jacket up, not with a ton of room but not too tight or restrictive.

I tried a size 3 aswell and as I said before it didn't look goofy or too oversized worn with 2 layers underneath, but I looked a bit big if wanted to wear only a tee or a shirt. It's a nice all-year round piece, but more suited in my opinion to spring/summer(chilly nights) or fall, so I ended up taking the smaller size.

I prefer other orSlow pieces in a size 3, like the fatigue shirt for example, but the cut of this jungle jacket is more roomy and forgiving.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey sorry for the late response!

I took some quick pictures yesterday (sorry for the awkardness hehe) so you can see the fit. I'm 177cm 73kg medium/slim body frame. Usually a size Medium 38 in most brands, wearing a size 2 with a western denim shirt underneath.

View attachment 2124731 View attachment 2124733 View attachment 2124735

As you can see, fit is good with a light layer but I still have room to wear a shetland, a fleece or other mid layer. I would be able to still button the jacket up, not with a ton of room but not too tight or restrictive.

I tried a size 3 aswell and as I said before it didn't look goofy or too oversized worn with 2 layers underneath, but I looked a bit big if wanted to wear only a tee or a shirt. It's a nice all-year round piece, but more suited in my opinion to spring/summer(chilly nights) or fall, so I ended up taking the smaller size.

I prefer other orSlow pieces in a size 3, like the fatigue shirt for example, but the cut of this jungle jacket is more roomy and forgiving.

Hope this helps :)
it helps a lot, thanks!

LatAm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@mak1277 I just bought this very shirt last week in person at Standard and Strange in N.Y. :)

Jason16502

Reaction score
Ditto the 107s I got during Ron Herman’s OOB sale. Still cannot believe so much production has moved considering an outline of Japan is on their logo and that same outline is on my reverse weave hoodie and a t-shirt.

This was a brand built on being Japanese. While I have no doubt construction constraints are real, there are other options that have thus far not had to move construction. Really have been digging on UES and when purchasing directly from them, the prices are really fair.
How was your experience buying directly from UES? Their website looks pretty sketchy and I didn’t see info on shipping costs to USA, so a little skeptical.

Junglejack

Reaction score
How was your experience buying directly from UES? Their website looks pretty sketchy and I didn’t see info on shipping costs to USA, so a little skeptical.
Website is really janky for sure. However, they are awesome and DHL gets even to Hawaii where I live really fast. Quicker than UPS Ground from West to East coast.

Shipping shows at checkout once you enter the information. Still works out a good bit cheaper than ordering from a US retailer albeit returns I am guessing not cheap back to Japan.

Only way to order is with PayPal and I have had zero issues and have placed 4 orders from them.

ScottyK

Reaction score
Website is really janky for sure. However, they are awesome and DHL gets even to Hawaii where I live really fast. Quicker than UPS Ground from West to East coast.

Shipping shows at checkout once you enter the information. Still works out a good bit cheaper than ordering from a US retailer albeit returns I am guessing not cheap back to Japan.

Only way to order is with PayPal and I have had zero issues and have placed 4 orders from them.
What is UES?

Mavidpark

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to denim and orslow. I recently received a pair of Levis 501 hemp selvedge and the fit was really tight at the thigh. I decided to upgrade and pivot over to the Orslow 105. Its my understanding that the Orslow 105 is designed after the levis 501. Is it safe to say i'll run into the same problems fit wise on the 105?

Also side question for you denim heads:

If pants are hemmed, can they still regain roping?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to denim and orslow. I recently received a pair of Levis 501 hemp selvedge and the fit was really tight at the thigh. I decided to upgrade and pivot over to the Orslow 105. Its my understanding that the Orslow 105 is designed after the levis 501. Is it safe to say i'll run into the same problems fit wise on the 105?

Just compare the measurements to your pair vs the 105's. There are size charts available at most stockists. If they are chainstitched hemmed they will regain the roping.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: Roping happens when a sewn hem creates tension in the fabric. This can happen with any type of stitch, not just a chain stitch. Chain stitching generally creates a lot of tension, so roping is usually much more visible and prominent when chain stitching is used. If you want to create the stereotypical denim roping, you should get it chain stitched. However, technically, roping can occur without a chain stitch if there is the right amount of tension.

Chain stitching also is not the sturdiest stitch. Some people use a lock stitch on denim. It is more durable and probably will still create roping.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Long answer: Roping happens when a sewn hem creates tension in the fabric. This can happen with any type of stitch, not just a chain stitch. Chain stitching generally creates a lot of tension, so roping is usually much more visible and prominent when chain stitching is used. If you want to create the stereotypical denim roping, you should get it chain stitched. However, technically, roping can occur without a chain stitch if there is the right amount of tension.

Chain stitching also is not the sturdiest stitch. Some people use a lock stitch on denim. It is more durable and probably will still create roping.
Best description I’ve read about chain stitching vs regular lock stitch, durability isn’t always at the top of a denimhead’s wish list.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed with all points. Just more pronounced with a chainstitch, less obvious on lock stitch. I usually have my denim hemmed with a double chainstitch to help with the durability factor

henrip

Reaction score

105 is pretty safe for us with bigger thighs. I can’t fit my thigs in any of the Levi’s vintage collection 501s for example.

About the roping. Not all chainstitch machines create roping. There must be diffenrence in the feeding speed of the bottom feed dog and top sewing foot and that causes the fabric to twist and wrinkle. End result we are so interested in is basically a flaw in the sewing machines. This flaw has been corrected in modern chainstitch machines and these machines mostly sew perfectly flat seams. Best roping in my denim collection is by Union Special 43200G. Luckily the place I use for hemming just bought their own 43200G.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads