• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions needed, Doc Martens ankle boot.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Ok, I'm in the market for some wingtip ankle boots. I'm a 21 year old who recently graduated school so spending hundreds of dollars on shoes isn't possible at the moment. (If it were, trust me, I would be buying RM Williams or Alden etc.) I came across these and I wanted to get some opinions. I absolutely love Doc Martens, but for this kind of style I usually look elsewhere. I'm looking for something to wear with jeans and khakis and I think these might work.

All opinions welcome, If you absolutely hate them then bring it on
laugh.gif

Also, I welcome any suggestions on other boots, as long as they're under $150

2837_1_.jpg

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Not one of DM's better efforts, IMO. Maybe something from Fluevog?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll commit SF treason but will stay under your $150 target. Not a wingtip, but the Stacy Adams 'Madison' boot is an affordable option. At least when the soles wear out on these you can have them re-soled for $60 or less.
weyco914_4207_jb.jpg
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/102179/c/3.html Read the comments on that page. Available in Black, Brown and even available in a hellish taupe color They do come in a high shine which some don't like, and if that is the case, you can always use a de-glazer to take the shine down to a luster.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Those madisons are nice, I have heard complaints about the quality but they still might be worth a shot...Ive also been looking at a cap toe oxford for dark jeans and dress pants, what do you think of these?...

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Light-colored shoes with dark jeans? Not very versatile, need to look attention-getting above the waist to make it work. That applies to pants that are dark, too. The pair looks nice, though the quality is questionable.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Yea would definitely need an attention getting top half, I have a few lighter jeans that would look great with them too. I hope the quality is decent, they're Italian made Cole Haans, got them for the top of my price limit on Ebay. Their pairs made in India etc are very inconsistent quality wise, but you can get them on sale at an outlet for under $100.

mensimageconsultant, I would welcome any suggestions you may have on what to pair these with.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
I'll commit SF treason but will stay under your $150 target.
Not a wingtip, but the Stacy Adams 'Madison' boot is an affordable option.
At least when the soles wear out on these you can have them re-soled for $60 or less.

weyco914_4207_jb.jpg

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/102179/c/3.html Read the comments on that page.
Available in Black, Brown and even available in a hellish taupe color
They do come in a high shine which some don't like, and if that is the case, you can always use a de-glazer to take the shine down to a luster.

I picked up a pair of the madisons (shoes, not boots) at a second hand shop for $15. While the quality may be questionable, the shape and styling are quite nice. I wouldn't say they are worse than anything else at the price point.

Mine are that hellish taupe color, which looks better in real life, and with a little wear.

GlenCoe

Reaction score
Check out Norse projects
trickers-norse-projects-1.jpg
trickers-norse-projects-6.jpg
no idea about the price but they look rather nice don't they?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never understood the allure of Doc Martens. They are not comfortable, they always seem way too clunky, and I have yet to find a pair I really find versatile enough for both the boardroom and the bar. The only thing they seem to go good with is an XTC or Joy Division concert.

At $150, I think there are some better options out there. I've gotten a couple pair of boots from Cole Haan that are within your price range and I've always found them very comfortable and they seem to hold up very well for the price.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Yea I love Cole Haan boots. Sleek, classic styling and at outlet store prices they can be had for well within $150. The cognac colored oxfords will work nicely for now until I find a boot that really catches my eye.

Well, actually a lot of boots have caught my eye, just not within the average 21 year old's price range.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads