• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oliver Peoples O'Malley in Amber Tortoise: What do you think?

qwalters

Reaction score
I recently purchased a pair of Oliver Peoples O'Malleys on Ebay for a really decent price. For a while, I've been looking for these glasses, but no local authorized dealer had them in stock. It was on a leap of faith that I purchased these...and sadly it appears I flopped.
I get various opinions on how they look on my face; "They're too big and the color doesn't complement your complexion", "The size is alright, but the color isn't for you", "They look really good", "Eh", "They're nice if you're going for that look".
I decided to come here to find a definitive answer.

Thanks

Last edited:

Moloch38

Reaction score
I think they look the right size/shape. The color isn't bad, just different than traditional tortoise.

Ivar

Reaction score
Those glasses make you look like a hipster dork, hence comments like "they're nice if your going for that look." I would start by replacing the horn frame with a metal frame. Something like this:

http://www.moscot.com/vintage-eyewear-dov_532_1.html#lenscolor=Clear

This would make for a more subdued look.

I'm not sure the shape is exactly right for you either, but the color is by far the bigger problem.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ebay, will probably be fake won't they?

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
I actually like the glasses, but you're obviously not comfortable with the comments, so it would be wise to wear something more subdued/less noticeable. Those metal ones look like a good possibility. Or, it might simply be a matter of darker tortoise.

qwalters

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
Would anyone happen to know the full width of those Moscot DOV frames?
On most glasses, the lens width seems to be fine, but the entire width takes up, or exceeds the width of my face.
To address MikeDT: I took them to one of the local Oliver Peoples dealers and they confirmed that they were real. They just don't carry the O'Malleys.
I also looked at the Anderson, which suited me nicely, but they recently stopped carrying it.
Does anyone think the OP Rileys--perhaps a size 43, in a tortoise, or mahogany--would suit me better?
Thanks again!

Ivar

Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. 
Would anyone happen to know the full width of those Moscot DOV frames?
On most glasses, the lens width seems to be fine, but the entire width takes up, or exceeds the width of my face.

Given how your first blind buy turned out, I think now is the time for you to visit a brick-and-mortar store and see the glasses in person. If you feel lost, you can always take fit pics of them in the store and post them here for us to judge.

Last edited:

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The O'Malleys are a really classic frame. I have a pair myself, although I converted them to sunnies recently. The brighter colour is a mild problem, but I'd say it looks good on your skin. The people saying you look like a hipster idiot can't tell the difference between the real deal and the imitators.

Leonardo Da Vinci

Reaction score
Good choice to sell them out. O'Malleys are considered to be small sun/eyeglasses, just a big bigger than gregory peck and well they're really small. In your case, was your head size the "problem".
I had a problem with them but in the opposite way, my head was too big.

qwalters

Reaction score
I'm in the midst of selling my Andersons.
They, too, were too big for my face. Both models are about 5 inches long, which extends a little too far away from my face.
Right now, I'm considering a pair of Shuron Ronstrongs (the 44-19 model).
Does anyone think a 43mm O'Malley would fit better? There are a couple on Ebay for that price, albeit they're outrageously priced (but there is a Best Offer option).
Thanks again.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bridge width is more important than the lens width. The fit of glasses is determined by the spacing of your eyes, not by the width of your head.

Quantimil

Reaction score
If there's one thing I'm not willing to skimp on, it's eyeglasses. They're something that sit on my face every day, all day, and make an enormous effect on how I look, so I accept nothing short of a perfect fit, no matter how much it costs. So I suggest that instead of ebaying random models you go to a retailer and try all of them on until you find the perfect ones and then pay the full price for that. It's worth it.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads