• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Umbrella aficionados thread

logboy

Reaction score
Have you used any restoration services as a matter of interest? I'm looking into this as I've found a few old ones at home, could be owrthwhile for yourself as there's plenty of english made frames on ebay.

i haven't no. looked for repair services in the past, only one i found was peps in paris. imagine old frames could be minefield of possible flaws or broken elements - most i can see being offered on ebay are old quality umbrellas they're chancing making decent money off, despite likely something obviously wrong like rotten canopy.

i really want (one or all of) brigg, fox, ince, james smith, lockwood, but one or two i tried to contact are unclear (possibly cagey) on the limitations when it comes to sourcing or using decent frames - impression i have from elsewhere, as well as opinions here, is that if you can find a good frame it's rare and you'll pay hard for it - as british steel would have been what they'd have used, and it's not an industry that's really what it once was even 20 years ago.

rharlow

Reaction score
What was the issue with the Dagg?
logboy is correct in that the shaft/handle was slightly askew in the Dagg umbrella a received. However, it's only noticeable on close inspection and feels quite solidly attached. It has survived the Fall season wonderfully, and the cotton-poly blend canopy and ten rib construction are quite nice and unusual for an umbrella at this price point. I certainly wouldn't pay Maglia or Talarico prices for it, but having picked it up during one of their sales for US$105, including shipping from Sweden, I can definitely say Dagg is excellent quality for the price.

Complexo

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply (and to the others)

I hadn't heard of Sugru before, so that was quite interesting.

I understand that it's natural that this can happen to the wood. I just wasn't sure if they would normally be discarded when it did. But as I understand you all, it's quite normal that they're on the umbrellas we'll receive when we buy them.So thank you.

konstantis

Reaction score
Good Morning dear Sirs . I am interested to buy a solid umbrella. I have found the umbrella of attached photos of Mario Talarico from online store. The store advised me that it is a solid stick one wood construction umbrella. My knowledge to umbrellas are limited but I really want to buy something special and this would be my first quality umbrella. Could you please advise me if that specific umbrella is really a solid stick one piece umbrella ? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• C9E8F203-AFA7-42A2-A577-DD5FB023E2BA.jpeg
    C9E8F203-AFA7-42A2-A577-DD5FB023E2BA.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 2627BB01-F468-4CAF-8C91-3544BECD0BD7.jpeg
    2627BB01-F468-4CAF-8C91-3544BECD0BD7.jpeg
    280.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 51B95DCC-C6DF-47FD-931B-56E51FB9FEE8.jpeg
    51B95DCC-C6DF-47FD-931B-56E51FB9FEE8.jpeg
    306.6 KB · Views: 79
  • A358E4E6-C099-46B1-B2AD-6344D5A42DF4.jpeg
    A358E4E6-C099-46B1-B2AD-6344D5A42DF4.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 76
  • E37BBBD6-F66F-49FB-BBA6-FACE8CC9DF72.jpeg
    E37BBBD6-F66F-49FB-BBA6-FACE8CC9DF72.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 214
  • 277FD543-4A91-461C-A73C-A085D07F4F9E.jpeg
    277FD543-4A91-461C-A73C-A085D07F4F9E.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:

rharlow

Reaction score
Good Morning dear Sirs . I am interested to buy a solid umbrella. I have found the umbrella of attached photos of Mario Talarico from online store. The store advised me that it is a solid stick one wood construction umbrella. My knowledge to umbrellas are limited but I really want to buy something special and this would be my first quality umbrella. Could you please advise me if that specific umbrella is really a solid stick one piece umbrella ? Thank you in advance.
Yes, that appears to be a solid stick, where they've shaved down the outer bark layers of the wood for the shaft. A great maker like Maglia can taper a fit-up shaft/handle construction to look nearly as clean as this (as they do for their whangees), but the grain of the shaft looks to me like it's the same wood as the handle, a solid stick beautifully tapered down for the shaft. Great looking umbrella, definitely worth the investment!

konstantis

Reaction score
Yes, that appears to be a solid stick, where they've shaved down the outer bark layers of the wood for the shaft. A great maker like Maglia can taper a fit-up shaft/handle construction to look nearly as clean as this (as they do for their whangees), but the grain of the shaft looks to me like it's the same wood as the handle, a solid stick beautifully tapered down for the shaft. Great looking umbrella, definitely worth the investment!
Thank you sir. I really appreciate your help. May I ask your opinion about cherry wood ?

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mind sharing what store sells that model?

mactire

Reaction score
i haven't no. looked for repair services in the past, only one i found was peps in paris. imagine old frames could be minefield of possible flaws or broken elements - most i can see being offered on ebay are old quality umbrellas they're chancing making decent money off, despite likely something obviously wrong like rotten canopy.

i really want (one or all of) brigg, fox, ince, james smith, lockwood, but one or two i tried to contact are unclear (possibly cagey) on the limitations when it comes to sourcing or using decent frames - impression i have from elsewhere, as well as opinions here, is that if you can find a good frame it's rare and you'll pay hard for it - as british steel would have been what they'd have used, and it's not an industry that's really what it once was even 20 years ago.

Well I've decided to see if I can get someone to do a competent repair of my grandfathers umbrella. So I'll be getting something from ebay as a first test of their repair skills. I'll update the thread in time.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think most half decent umbrellas could withstand 60kph winds face on.
Switch it around so that the wind catches underneath though and it's hasta la vista baby.

Mok

Reaction score
ince is the more noted, long-established name. i've not seen either of them in person, don't know if bucklesbury would be anything more now than fitting on the budget as an alternative if no LU ones catch your eye, as the choices in the UK for our makers are limited - brigg, fox, smith, lockwood would be my picks, but they're out of the price point of just over 100 euros, which is actually pretty limiting as all the very decent ones are more like £3-400.

like i've said, i've researched makers and picked up on what i would personally prioritise (outside of what i already have - LU and maglia) and consider upping my budget for. very few will have had more than cursory experience with the appearance / durability of all the really good makers - you could see them by going to shops, but unless you're spending hundreds several times over and putting them through years of use, you're never going to hear a definitive call on what you would pick yourself if you look into it yourself, and certainly not if you're looking for my guidance on how to spend far more money than most would on such an item.

if you look on youtube at people with brigg and fox umbrellas, you'd probably be quite surprised at how thick the sticks are - pretty chunky, far more so than LU. LU would be the best balance between a pretty good quality product and an affordable price without having to spend much more than i think most people's budgets would want to stretch to.

this guy's fox solid stick umbrella looks very hefty to me >

Oh hey, that's me in the video. The oak umbrella feels really good to use - it's light enough not to be bicep muscle builder but also sturdy and bulky enough to feel like it's got substance. It's not flimsy in other words. I love it.

The smaller telescopic one is my travel / quick get up and go umbrella and I leave it in the car. It's surprisingly well built but the clip and click mechanism when expanding the umbrella sometimes doesn't engage and I have to keep pushing it until it does.

I've since bought another one:
2B9AE19C-8354-473E-81AD-C0906214D8A6.jpg

This one is more a fashion statement and functionally gets annoying as it doesn't have a hook to hang it on your arm if you need both hands to do something. Looks cool though.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to pick up a London Undercover (and may still) but it seems like their only shipping option costs $26 which I'm adverse to. I don't need it from the U.K. in 1-2 days a week or two would be fine.

Are there any comparable brands similarly priced with better shipping? I was looking at this model:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads