• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had several problems with it.

Ben Solo should have kept his mask on, he looks like a goofball without it. Most of his dialogue seemed hopelessly contrived.

The whole idea that Rey would be able to commandere MF and wield a lightsaber with relative ease struck me as very odd. I hope they flush this out a bit more like they did with Luke.

The whole scene after Han dies where Leia ignores chewy was so damn stupid unless you believe as some have suggested that Rey is her daughter but they are trying to protect her given what happened to her older brother.

I suspect we'll learn later that is wasn't coincidence that Han picked up Rey and Finn while they were in MF.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have no idea what they're planning to do with the "mystery" of Rey's origin, but the movie tried to explain nearly all those things:

Rey knew about the Falcon because she'd worked on it before. She could use the lightsaber because she'd been using a staff, which is a lot like a sword, I guess. Han and Chewie found the Falcon because they'd been looking for it, and because it was in poor repair and running "dirty," or something like that, which made it easy to see. As to poor Chewie, who knows? That did seem very peculiar, especially since Leia didn't seem to care much about Rey when they first met.

Of course it's also possible that Max von Sydow was there to watch her, but if she's supposed to be hidden it seems like a really stupid idea to hide both the map and the girl in the same place.

What I didn't get was why Luke ran away when by all appearances he could have smited Darth Doofus easily.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think Mark Hamill may be much better actor now, look up his voice acting of the Joker in Batman games etc

Dude, the Guyver.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I take my negative criticism is back. Just walked out of the theater, and that was magnificent.

Probably just post show buzz, but I really, really, really liked that.

The haters need to be called to repentance and lighten up a bit. I suspect nothing could appease some. Fortunately some of the harping in this thread had sufficiently lowered my expectations. Result was that I loved it.

Last edited:

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyway best easter egg was reprise of that epic character (super minor spoile)

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My favorite little thing was how

Ackbar was still 1977 technology and not updated to be more realistic.

Last edited:

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really enjoyed the movie. Liked that it stuck to the grungier aesthetics of the original movies and avoided the super slick look of the prequels. All the actors I thought were quite good.

The pivotal scene with Han really got to me and confirmed how much I like the character. I agree with the prior post that I'm sure this will be called back to in the later movies as Kylo Ren is anguishing over what he did and reconsidering his allegiance to the new Voldemort.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Did I not say that I liked the first half hour? That I liked Rey and Ren well enough that

you could make a decent sequel involving them (but they won't). Anyone who thinks Disney is finished aping the original movies has, as they, another thing coming.

To be fair I thought the first 30 minutes were quite good and got more disappointed as it went in.

I also really enjoyed the old school cuts they did. Zooming in using the circle and the side to side blurry edge cuts whatever they're actually called

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best derivative movie in history. Some truly spectacular scenes that work beautifully in 3D and some with real poignancy.

Will see again Xmas Day.

Last edited:

Graemsay

Reaction score
I'm a little bit meh about the Force Awakens.

The spoiler free version is that the action, effects, and new characters were good, but someone summarised it as feeling like Episode VIII, having skipped VII.

From a narrative perspective, there were huge gaps in the set-up. The First Order's motivations never seem that clear. Are they trying to take over the galaxy and re-establish the Empire? Or are they trying to deal with an insurgency posed by the Resistance? Why did they blow up Hosnian for no real reason?

It's not clear where the First Order holds sway either. Some background material apparently says its in the outer rim, but the film itself doesn't. Regardless of your criticisms of Lucas, you always knew roughly what the political situation was.

Things also seem to happen off screen, violating the "show don't tell" rule: How did Poe Dameron get from Jakku back to the Resistance Base in time to pick up his spare X-Wing? How did the Luke's old lightsabre end up in a storage room at the back of a pub? And how did Han find the Falcon so quickly after losing it?

And there are a lot of plot threads set up, but most of which are left dangling. It feels a bit like Iron Man 2, where the story was secondary to paving the way for the Avengers.

It's possibly some of the above will pay off in the next film. If the Falcon was actually lost because it was used to drop Rey off on Jakku as a child, and memories were altered to hide her more effectively, then that'd at least form a consistent thread.

Lastly, I can't remember if anyone has posted it here, but Daniel Craig plays the storm trooper manipulated by the Jedi Mind Trick.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jar Jar Abrahms makes Star Wars instead of someone like Tarantino. We could have had this:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair I thought the first 30 minutes were quite good and got more disappointed as it went in.

I also really enjoyed the old school cuts they did. Zooming in using the circle and the side to side blurry edge cuts whatever they're actually called

*wipes*. i was def a lot of fun to see the cinematic vocab that Lucas and co built in the original movies. it's a lot of the magic, turning a pulp story into a movie

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thinking I may go see it the 2nd time today. Will go for a 2D showing. I'm not a big fan of the 3D screenings but that's all they had when I went the first time.

The reactions to this film have been interesting. It all feels very positive, but the film definitely not connecting with everyone. Curious how it will all play out long term.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads