1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jr Mouse, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Ataturk

Ataturk Stylish Dinosaur

Oh, come on. You don't seriously believe they'd make the movie about a third death star, do you?

On an extremely spoilerish note, something you absolutely should not click unless you want the movie completely spoiled, this summary of the movie from someone on reddit:

We open to a Star Destroyer panning across the screen, showing the reach and might of the empire. The villain, a force user in a black mask is pursuing a rebel with important information.

Knowing they’ll soon be caught, the rebel sends that information away with a droid, to keep it safe.

Stranded on a desert planet, the droid meets up with our hero: a young pilot. Our hero, learning what message the droid carries, sets off to deliver it. They leave the desert planet on the Millennium Falcon.

The masked villain controls a large space station, and demonstrates its capacity to destroy planets. Seeing this. a companion aboard the Millennium Falcon wants no part of a rebellion, and sets off on his own (but when he sees our hero in danger, he’ll do the right thing and come back).

Our hero proves to be strong with the force, and is entrusted with Anakin Skywalker’s lightsaber. However, it’s our hero’s elderly mentor who goes off to face the masked villain, alone. They have history together, but the villain is not who he once was, and the elderly mentor is struck down and killed.

Our hero takes part in the battle to fight the space station. The rebels have learned that the station has a weak spot, which can destroy the entire weapon. Flying their X-wings through a trench, they succeed in hitting their target, and the superweapon explodes.

Our hero has learned that with focus and trust in the force they are powerful, and the masked villain has been thwarted (for now).

2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Stylish Dinosaur

I was kidding. But maybe you knew that and I'm missing your joke again.

3. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

Lol

4. VaderDave

VaderDave Distinguished Member

We saw it this afternoon and enjoyed it. Since I grumbled about it earlier in this thread, I will say that BB8 is cute and a good character even though the idea of a rolling ball robot that also has sensitive electronics on the surface of said ball is a bad design.

5. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

Yeah, I was worried at the beginning that he was overly emotive... But he was totally cool with me in the end.

6. VaderDave

VaderDave Distinguished Member

I also enjoyed the new physicality of Chewbacca. I guess it's just that the costume is a lot better than in days of yore, but I liked how they had him crawling around and carrying stuff and looking much more natural than he ever has.

I also liked how they retconned his laser crossbow into some sort of frickin' laser cannon. When bad guys got shot with that, they stayed shot.

7. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Ataturk's mental gymnastics are always amusing. Looking forward to many months of him pointing out every possible one could dislike this film. It's almost like JJ killed his puppy or something.

8. Jr Mouse

9. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Stylish Dinosaur

I still haven't paid for it. That's all that matters to me.

10. Jr Mouse

Spot on comment I found regarding one of the pivotal scenes in the film.
    Regarding the big Han scene:

"This is why I liked it so much and I think people misunderstand it. The movie wasnt trying to fool you. It knew that you knew, and it used that fact to build tension. Everyone knew the outcome, even Han. But he refused to back down, he had to try. He died loving his son regardless of his own safety. Han made his point, and I suspect this moment may come back into play in a later movie regarding Ren's personal struggles."

11. Ataturk

Ataturk Stylish Dinosaur

I didn't think that scene was terrible. Imagine if they'd made the movie about that instead of
    Death Star 3.0.

Did it serve as anything but filler?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015

12. Jr Mouse

Regarding the above:

I agree the Starkiller base wasn't the strongest part of the film. Not so much for the sake of being another death star in itself but because the design and how it functioned didn't really work.

I did appreciate the almost meta commentary from characters in the film acknowledging the fact that it was something they'd all seen and defeated before. Felt like a nod/wink wink to what I'm sure a lot fans of the OT were thinking. I've got a feeling that the franchise won't be returning to that well anytime soon.

13. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Stylish Dinosaur

Rewatching parts of OT and prequels. Holy shit, how fucking stupid is 2? A bomb explodes on the starship when it lands, not in outer space. So fucking dumb.

14. Van Veen

Van Veen Distinguished Member

My favorite moment was Han giving Chewie the detonator. One of the only moments of subtlety in the entire film.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015

15. Van Veen

Van Veen Distinguished Member

My take on this movie was that the idea was to get the pandering out of the way and to apologize for the prequels. We get it... the prequels sucked. The script sucked, the actors sucked, and the characters had no personality. You didn't need to beat us over the head with it. Let's hope Rian Johnson can be a little more subtle and isn't required to shoehorn all the O.T. characters into the storyline. Luke's obviously going to play a huge role in the next film(s) and I have no problem with that, but I hope we don't see Leia, R2D2, C3PO, and (less so) Chewie until the epilogue of Episode 9.